cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michelin vs Toyo tires

NOWANTSNOWARRAN
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased 2006 Monaco La Palma. 24,000 miles. Great coach. Had Michelin tires on it but datd code was 2005. I did a lot of internet research and bought some Toyo m154's. The coach was a great driver on Michelin's. I drove home after the change and it was terrible. Wandered and rear swayed terribly. Did another internet search and learned about sway bars, quick fixes and safe t steer. I checked under the motor home and was disappointed to discover a safe t steer and upgraded anti sway bar.

Did I screw up? I'm considering going back to Michelins. This was a really expensive mistake if I have to replace the Toyos. Any thoughts?
33 REPLIES 33

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep in mind Michelin makes โ€œrvโ€ specific tires. I think the tread is not as deep because 200,000 miles service isnโ€™t important and the sidewalls are made I would bet softer for a ride that is more palatable to Lexus drivers. In doing so I would bet an rv that is still a truck/ bus underneath has some unique issues.
If we are talking smaller auto or pickup tires it is a different situation.
Bill

emma21
Explorer
Explorer
Both Toyo and Michelin make excellent tires. However, I enjoy the Michelin, especialy  Defender because of  its silence and comfort. It also has a really high mileage.

Bruce_Brown
FloridaRosebud wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
Blaster Man wrote:
I've never had a problem with Michelins on a car or pick up, and this latest issue with the RV 22.5" tires seems to be relatively new. But there is no doubt, they are doing something, or putting something into the tire that is causing serious problems. I'm convinced some of the new RV manufacturers still put Michelins on their RVs because of their reputation....which is now heading south rapidly.

Michelin's issues aren't all recent.

Back when we had our '03 we had a tire blow, while it was parked in our garage. The MH was only a few months old and I am diligent on air pressures.

The sidewall blew and the steel cords had some rust on them. As usual, Michelin refused to accept any blame. No problem, I want the tire back. Why they asked. When I said I wanted to get all the codes off the tire so I could file a complaint with NTHSA they changed their tune and decided maybe they could help us.

I watched that tire and Michelin ended up changing the specs on it 3 times in one year.

I will freely admit I am not a Michelin fan. Between all of the cars, trucks, and motorhomes we've bought we've had a lot of Michelin tires. I can honestly say in my lifetime we've had one set that I was happy with - coincidentally it was the set that came on our current MH, and they were great.

My last (3) Super Dutys all came with Michelin's, a 60,000 mile rated tire. The best set made it 33,000 miles before it would not longer pass NYS inspection, the worst set made it a whole 28,000 miles.

For my money, Michelin is never even on the list of tires I'd consider. I've just been stung too many times.

Interesting. I've been running Michelins on all my SUVs for over 20 years, during which time I've also tried Goodyear, Bridgestones, and Cooper. The Michelins always road the best, especially after about 15,000 to 20,000 miles. The others would begin to ride hard, whereas the Michelin's ride did not degrade. (averaged about 40k miles per year). That said, I NEVER got the mileage ratings out of the Michelins. I was always about 20% short, and that was with mostly highway driving. The last 3 sets Michelin has given me a 10-15% discount (pro-rated) due to not reaching the mileage rating.

On the RV I tried the Toyo M-154 and have been very pleased. I've noticed no difference in the ride or handling compared to the Michelins, but saved about $125 per tire.

Al

For sure many people are happy with them - I just happen to not be one of them. :B

The pro-rating thing reminds me of my Uncle. He says the same thing, "sure they don't last, but they give me a discount". When pricing tires it sure looks to me like that 15-20% is already built into the price up front. :W

I do believe location plays a part into tire life/service/satisfaction too. We tend to have more asphalt vs concrete roads in our area. We also have heavy salt/sand usage in the winter months.

As always, if you're happy with something by all means, stick with it. If you're not move on. For me, with tires, I've moved on from Michelin.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

map40
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my RV fleet my Class Cs I had to change the Michelin every 40K miles, although they still had half the thread and were just 2 years old. TPMS and meticulously maintained air pressure (I had a GPS tracking that also gave me speed, acceleration and tire pressure and temperature), the tires would blow up after 40K. These were the 16 inches. Y used Goodyear but they started running hotter after 40K miles, so I just changed them and from that point on I used Michelin and changed them at 40K miles.
Now for the Class A RVs, I always used Toyos. The RV came with Michelins from the factory but they would start cracking on the sidewalls before the age or miles was past 50% of their life.
Toyos always lasted me the entire life, 7 years no sidewall cracking and I have run a set to 100K miles with no problems (regrooved, on my personal coach).
As far as ride, I never found that much of a difference when properly inflated.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
From what I have read, most Michelin problems appear to be on the 22.5" RV tires, no problems with smaller tires on sedans, SUVs and pickups.
2014 American Eagle

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Blaster Man wrote:
I've never had a problem with Michelins on a car or pick up, and this latest issue with the RV 22.5" tires seems to be relatively new. But there is no doubt, they are doing something, or putting something into the tire that is causing serious problems. I'm convinced some of the new RV manufacturers still put Michelins on their RVs because of their reputation....which is now heading south rapidly.

Back when we had our '03 we had a tire blow, while it was parked in our garage. The MH was only a few months old and I am diligent on air pressures.

The sidewall blew and the steel cords had some rust on them. As usual, Michelin refused to accept any blame. No problem, I want the tire back. Why they asked. When I said I wanted to get all the codes off the tire so I could file a complaint with NTHSA they changed their tune and decided maybe they could help us.

I watched that tire and Michelin ended up changing the specs on it 3 times in one year.

I will freely admit I am not a Michelin fan. Between all of the cars, trucks, and motorhomes we've bought we've had a lot of Michelin tires. I can honestly say in my lifetime we've had one set that I was happy with - coincidentally it was the set that came on our current MH, and they were great.

My last (3) Super Dutys all came with Michelin's, a 60,000 mile rated tire. The best set made it 33,000 miles before it would not longer pass NYS inspection, the worst set made it a whole 28,000 miles.

For my money, Michelin is never even on the list of tires I'd consider. I've just been stung too many times.

Interesting. I've been running Michelins on all my SUVs for over 20 years, during which time I've also tried Goodyear, Bridgestones, and Cooper. The Michelins always road the best, especially after about 15,000 to 20,000 miles. The others would begin to ride hard, whereas the Michelin's ride did not degrade. (averaged about 40k miles per year). That said, I NEVER got the mileage ratings out of the Michelins. I was always about 20% short, and that was with mostly highway driving. The last 3 sets Michelin has given me a 10-15% discount (pro-rated) due to not reaching the mileage rating.

On the RV I tried the Toyo M-154 and have been very pleased. I've noticed no difference in the ride or handling compared to the Michelins, but saved about $125 per tire.

Al

Bruce_Brown
Blaster Man wrote:

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2014 American Eagle

RodLyle
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
RodLyle wrote:
On the fourth Class A

In 38 yrs of RVing only have had Michelin on all four.

Looked at others but always told, "yes they are cheaper but not as good of a ride""

So how do you know if others ride/handle just as well if not better? 40 years nothing but Michelin, will never buy another.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
RodLyle wrote:
On the fourth Class A

Looked at others but always told, "yes they are cheaper but not as good of a ride""

So how do you know if others ride/handle just as well if not better? 40 years nothing but Michelin, will never buy another.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

RodLyle
Explorer
Explorer
On the fourth Class A

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing about tires. I get some sort of Hughes commercial.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

bthomforde
Explorer
Explorer
I put Toyo M144 315/80/22.5 on the steers in July and love them.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin is having a rough time with 22.5" MH tires. They are having so many problems with cracking, they have published a document with pictures showing three levels of cracking, going from ok to use, to change now. I changed my Michelins at 30k and five and a half years due to cracking. I don't care what they say, I'm not heading out with cracked tires...I've had a RF blowout, and don't want another.
Go to one of the big RV forums, like iRV2.com (https://www.irv2.com/forums/) and check what the readers say about Michelins.
2014 American Eagle