cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directions

David0725
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am in Helen Georgia at the unicoi campground GPS is giving me 2 different directions. What is the best route to take driving a 41ft DP towing a truck? To Orlando Florida.
1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial DP
1999 Honda Accord V6 Toad
5 REPLIES 5

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
The directions Horsedoc gave is the route I followed for years.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One comment about Atalanta.
Traffic is usually not all that bad at 3AM. especially on Sunday Morning.

(I know this sounds funny but I'm serious) You time it right it's a breeze.
Time it wrong it's a parking lot.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Several routes will get you there. Avoid Atlanta! This is our regular route out of N Georgia to Florida.
Head out of Helen towards Cleveland. Turn left at the Sautee Valley. You will see the indian mound and the cupola on top in pasture. The turn will take you toward Clarkesville. Stay on Ga 17 through Clarkesville. Watch the signs, there is a couple of turns in town. This will take you to US441/23. This will take you to the Athens. Watch the signs again and take the Ga 10 loop / US441 bypass around Athens. Follow 441 to Madison and Eatonton. Stay off I-85 south toward Atlanta. Huge construction going on with terrible traffic jams.
Eatonton to Macon and in Macon west on I-16 for a couple of miles to I-75 South.
In Wildwood you can get the Florida Turnpike (toll road) or go state roads (Fla 50) to Orlando. We don't use I-4 this time of year. Traffic is as bad as Atlanta.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
I'd go from Helen to Athens to Macon, then down I-75. About 1/2 hour longer travel time, but I'd do anything to avoid the greater Atlanta area.

X2

Also avoid I-4

Take I-75 to Ocala, then pick up Rt 27 the rest of the way. It's a nice highway with some pleasant little towns. Brings you into the west side of Orlando.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go from Helen to Athens to Macon, then down I-75. About 1/2 hour longer travel time, but I'd do anything to avoid the greater Atlanta area.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress