Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

its about time

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
some nice changes[url=]

Reading between the lines they are doing more to stop the cheating to get campsites, as the majority of campers are either weekend warriors or usually just out of a week. This will effect retirees more than anything else as they seem to be the ones that have the time available to stay up to 23 nights in a park, but there are alot of parks at least a hundred or more provincial parks that have camping.
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.
13 REPLIES 13

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
My sympathies to all of you.
We gave up with all these shenanigans in 1986 and bought a small cottage on a quiet lake. Never looked back.

Bought a trailer for Snowbirding when we retired and lasted seven years. Eventually gave up and winterized the cottage to extend the season, good enough for us.

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
If it is not super important to camp in July/August it's pretty easy to get a site at any of the popular camp grounds in Ontario.

We really only book on the shoulder seasons now and leave the summer to families willing to put up with the crowds. June, September and October are still pretty awesome and most certainly quieter.

BTW if you enjoy interior canoe camping there are no restriction's for that. Normally I'll tie two weekends together for that type of camping.

LOL your not the only ones and its growing.
We do nearly 2 weeks ending on the tuesday after thanksgiving every year, and this year we did 5 nights at Turkey point for the last weekend of October. During the summer we did a couple 3 and 4 day weekends but not on the stat long weekends.
Thank god Ontario parks is waking up to the fact that in southern Ont. we don't see real freezing weather until well into November. With some encouraging emails and comments from us campers they are opening up a bit, We need to keep pushing and perhaps we will see the close date for all parks south of algonquin go to at least the end of October, and some into mid november.
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
If it is not super important to camp in July/August it's pretty easy to get a site at any of the popular camp grounds in Ontario.

We really only book on the shoulder seasons now and leave the summer to families willing to put up with the crowds. June, September and October are still pretty awesome and most certainly quieter.

BTW if you enjoy interior canoe camping there are no restriction's for that. Normally I'll tie two weekends together for that type of camping.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
relaxin wrote:
mdcamping wrote:
I noticed Algonquin Provincial Park was reduced to a 7 day minimum

Years ago I tried booking that place right at 9am when the window opened, tried for 3 days straight, could not reserve any available site . It seemed the locals have quicker keypad fingers than me...

Later in the week I noticed a cancellation had showed up which I grabbed quickly. Beautiful park, NOT easy to book..

Mike

Yes it is a beautiful park, at nearly 3,000 square miles its tha largest vehicle accessible park in Ontario, hopefully if you decide to visit it again you'll be able to get a site just a tiny bit easier, 7 am (park time) is the date change time, so have all your info entered by 6:58, and booking from a tuesday or wednesday in a busy park usually gets you the best odds as most people start vacations on fridays or saturdays.
If you coming from a distance try one of the lesser known parks way up north,( whats an extra few hours on the road if your already driving 10 or more), they are just as beautiful but don't get as many of the weekend warriors from southern ontario, like myself a lot of folks won't do a 5 hour or more drive for a 2 or 3 day stay, and a lot of bookings occur on weekends for 2 to 3 days/nights.

actually I think it was 7am, this was some years ago and I am getting forgetful. I had 3 reserve windowns open with all the info entered. When the "reservation system time" showed the correct time I clicked reserve on all 3 windows and still I lost the reservations, repeated the same the next 2 mornings, same result. I think this was also the week day.

I Hope to be exploring the area again in the years to come :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:

Years ago I tried booking that place right at 9am when the window opened, tried for 3 days straight, could not reserve any available site . It seemed the locals have quicker keypad fingers than me...

Later in the week I noticed a cancellation had showed up which I grabbed quickly. Beautiful park, NOT easy to book..

Mike

Yes it is a beautiful park, at nearly 3,000 square miles its tha largest vehicle accessible park in Ontario, hopefully if you decide to visit it again you'll be able to get a site just a tiny bit easier, 7 am (park time) is the date change time, so have all your info entered by 6:58, and booking from a tuesday or wednesday in a busy park usually gets you the best odds as most people start vacations on fridays or saturdays.
If you coming from a distance try one of the lesser known parks way up north,( whats an extra few hours on the road if your already driving 10 or more), they are just as beautiful but don't get as many of the weekend warriors from southern ontario, like myself a lot of folks won't do a 5 hour or more drive for a 2 or 3 day stay, and a lot of bookings occur on weekends for 2 to 3 days/nights.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
azrving wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
It will give more people the opportunity to get a site, as long as they enforce it, don't be like your cousins to the south, most of our Federal and State parks have a 14 day limit, unfortunately many times it's not enforced, or looped around, by playing the name game, this time, the site is reserved in hubby's name, next 14 days is reserved in wifey's name.

Is it legal to rotate from name to name. I mean if they had a rule against it they would stop it wouldn’t they? If you are saying it’s a moral issue we have to realize that it’s 2022 lol. There are people in here that think that someone driving the speed limit is a nuisance and they should be driving with the flow of traffic even if it’s speeding Selective rules or morals I guess

I contend its not legal to change names. If pk has 10 day limit after 10 days that RV must leave.... Changing names is not leaving.
That would make sense, Again, IF it's enforced.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
azrving wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
It will give more people the opportunity to get a site, as long as they enforce it, don't be like your cousins to the south, most of our Federal and State parks have a 14 day limit, unfortunately many times it's not enforced, or looped around, by playing the name game, this time, the site is reserved in hubby's name, next 14 days is reserved in wifey's name.

Is it legal to rotate from name to name. I mean if they had a rule against it they would stop it wouldn’t they? If you are saying it’s a moral issue we have to realize that it’s 2022 lol. There are people in here that think that someone driving the speed limit is a nuisance and they should be driving with the flow of traffic even if it’s speeding Selective rules or morals I guess

I contend its not legal to change names. If pk has 10 day limit after 10 days that RV must leave.... Changing names is not leaving.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
azrving wrote:
bukhrn wrote:

Not necessarily, a lot of written rules aren't enforced at many CG's.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
SideHillSoup wrote:
I take it you talking about Ontario ?

BC it’s a maximum length of stay of 14 nights, and has been fir years.

and is that is per year not per stay.

"may only camp up to a maximum of 14 nights in each park/calendar year."

I wonder if it ever gets enforced though

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I take it you talking about Ontario ?

BC it’s a maximum length of stay of 14 nights, and has been fir years.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks