cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV insurance claim - flood

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all need some advice we are on a trip and suffered flood damage and want some advice on dealing with Allstate insurance on what we can claim whilst it’s being repaired.

Can we claim hotel food etc

Pretty urgent on how best to handle Allstate
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
2020 Vanleigh Pinecrest 392MBP
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305
41 REPLIES 41

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Grit dog wrote:
Back to replying to myself….lol.
OP you don’t see it but I see it clearly with my in-laws. While they are still doin their thing just fine. Keeping up the house, traveling, both drive still, a couple of once very intelligent management level folks are now befuddled by things like cell phone contracts.
It happens.
But they also absolutely refuse to let any of their 3 kids know any of their financial and “business”(like insurance and stuff) information. Nor are they willing to even discuss.
And they’re on the cusp of being very vulnerable financially from all fronts.
And it’s not that there are any issues with trust specifically with any of their kids.
They’re hanging on to their “independence” and little things are beginning to bite them because they don’t possess the ability to be as well informed as they used to.
It’s a tough position to be in as those who care for them, as one big mistake and they are sitting with nothing left because they were either taken advantage of (both legally or illegally) or they are gonna make an I’ll informed decision.

Saw it happen with my mom too and she was only in her late 60s. I am the responsible child and my sister has a plethora of mental and addiction problems. Mom wouldn’t confide in me because she “knew what she was doing” and I mopped up the mess with what was left after my sister stole all her retirement…
If any of this hits home with the OP or anyone, no need to thank me. You can call me a pos for hypothetically calling you out if you want. I don’t care. But if it makes you think and helps prompt you to get some help understanding…whatever, I’m glad and that’s why I wrote all this.

Grit I have to say I do agree with you on all said. I too am seeing some of what you are are talking about with my mother. It's easy to see and recognize a reduction of physical abilities. But it's a lot harder to realize or accept that they are not as young mentally as they used to be.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:

Isn't there a saying that an Irishman has to talk to himself or The Almighty to speak with his equal?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks and I do agree, we have a list of what we can see and are asking for an estimate from the rv dealer to then assess
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP you don’t see it but I see it clearly with my in-laws. While they are still doin their thing just fine. Keeping up the house, traveling, both drive still, a couple of once very intelligent management level folks are now befuddled by things like cell phone contracts.
It happens.
But they also absolutely refuse to let any of their 3 kids know any of their financial and “business”(like insurance and stuff) information. Nor are they willing to even discuss.
And they’re on the cusp of being very vulnerable financially from all fronts.
And it’s not that there are any issues with trust specifically with any of their kids.
They’re hanging on to their “independence” and little things are beginning to bite them because they don’t possess the ability to be as well informed as they used to.
It’s a tough position to be in as those who care for them, as one big mistake and they are sitting with nothing left because they were either taken advantage of (both legally or illegally) or they are gonna make an I’ll informed decision.

Saw it happen with my mom too and she was only in her late 60s. I am the responsible child and my sister has a plethora of mental and addiction problems. Mom wouldn’t confide in me because she “knew what she was doing” and I mopped up the mess with what was left after my sister stole all her retirement…
If any of this hits home with the OP or anyone, no need to thank me. You can call me a pos for hypothetically calling you out if you want. I don’t care. But if it makes you think and helps prompt you to get some help understanding…whatever, I’m glad and that’s why I wrote all this.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
For a real sanity check, do you have anyone in your life you can trust to “handle the insurance” for you? I’d suggest it.
RV dealer handling your insurance is like letting a used car salesmen handle your retirement investments!

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Not at all I rely on rv.net as my sanity check always thanks
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
tourusa wrote:
Thanks all I’ve returned to the dealer who I purchased the fifth wheel from and they are handling the insurance , will advise once I have an update thanks for all your feedback

Thanks for the update! Many simply don't followup.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all I’ve returned to the dealer who I purchased the fifth wheel from and they are handling the insurance , will advise once I have an update thanks for all your feedback
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2 posts in a row largely unrelated is replying to myself?
Just tryin to help the OP see what may be happening. Since they obviously don’t know, was thinkin all helpful suggestions welcome?

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^ LOL :B :B :B
Yup, he's a funny guy.

dedmiston
Replying to yourself, Grit? :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Being with my in-laws here currently, I totally understand how these types of things are especially confusing for folks who may be gettin up there in age.
Heck, it’s probably not easy for some others as well.
But literally nothing will be resolved until the insured understands the terms of their policy.
And if unable to by themselves and thinking a runaround is happening from the ins co, then please find someone, a family friend or relative who is well read to help you understand your policy terms.
I’m sorry for your loss/damage and the hassle but there’s a few things at play here that need someone of more sound mind to iron out the options and issues.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yup 10-4. I find we’re either switching carriers or the existing carrier is making changes every 4-5 years.
Sometimes they’ll play. Sometimes they don’t.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
It’s unfortunate that some don’t understand or don’t take the time to understand what they’re paying for and/or subsequently get mislead.
And the insurance industry is right up there with takin your money and not giving the best value for it.
Case in point recently, our insurance carrier, been good, no real issues with them, but a rate hike on something prompted me to dig into the whole policy. Hadn’t done that for about 5 years.
Got another quotes for comparison and working with our current company/agent somehow our whole policy went down almost 2 grand per year!

They figure at a certain year you really don't pay attention the the policy price and start bumping it beyond the normal cost increases.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD