cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Page AZ to Flagstaff

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some information, we're in PageAZ and leaving soon for Winslow. The question I have, is taking Hwy 20 out of Page through Lechee a mistake with a 40' fifth wheel? Google had us "routed" that way on the way up here but opted for staying on 89 through "the cut" south of Page. Not sure about this road and I would appreciate any info on this route. The manager here at the campground said it's very doable with our rig but I'm not convinced.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
3 REPLIES 3

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
OP here, thanks guys for the advice. We took "89T" this morning back to Flagstaff and beyond, in spite of the horrendous winds! If it wasn't for the wind it would've been a very pleasant trip. 89 T is pretty much straight, some curves but nothing to get excited about, I would defiantly go that way again! I can better understand why Google would route someone on it. It's smoother than 89, that's for sure! The twenty mile "rough road" roller coaster section is a real "treat"!

Dan

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Several years ago there was a landslide on US89 that blocked the climb north of the US89alt turn off. While that was being repaired (over a year if I recall correctly), the Navajo route through Lechee was paved and made available as a detour (instead of the much longer detour via 98).

Google "chooses" routes more on time (that is distance * estimated speed), not on quality. So yes, if this is shorter, and it applies the same estimated speed, it will recommend it. That doesn't mean you should follow that.

From the streetview at the Sinclar gas station at the south end, people are still using this 'detour'. But there is a "watch for animals" sign right away - that is free range cattle. That's probably more of a concern if driving it at night.

Google has multiple years of streetview images for 89, but only part of IR 20 (from 2019). IR20 is clearly a lesser route, with narrower shoulders.

2013 item about paving N20. I forgot that it was that long ago!

https://azdot.gov/adot-blog/state-transportation-board-approves-funding-shorter-us-89-detour

https://azdot.gov/node/8417

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago, there was a landslide on 89 on the ascent to "the cut" that took out a portion of the road. 89 had to be closed completely for quite awhile while repairs took place. At that time, 20 was improved so that all traffic to and from Page could be re-routed that way. So, yes, it is alright to drive with your rig.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara