cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How screwed am I ? Boneheaded jacking mistake

fasteddie
Explorer
Explorer
So I screwed up pretty good and jacked my trailer mistakenly by the axel mounting plate and bent it pretty good right in front of the rear wheel bolt, the welds appear to still be good and don’t see any other obvious damage. I have a big trip coming up very soon and hoping it’s still good to pull

2015 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
2012 Jayco White Hawk 31dslb
13 REPLIES 13

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
I would leave it alone and not worry about it. But if you want to try to repair I would use a big channel-lock or adjustable wrench and bend it back. You could also try just a hammer and some careful pounding.

X2 if the looks bothers you.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
My immediate concern would be the new 'bent' portion contacting that tire on a bumpy road. I can't really tell from the pic how close it is.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
I would check it occasionally for possible stress cracks near the bolt. "If you so choose" a welding shop can straighten the beam with their heavy tools.

I don't think it would take "heavy tools" to straighten it.
BUT, ever grab a coat hanger, or other wire, bend back and forth until it breaks? I think working the steel would make it more likely to get the stress cracks.
Still no answer about knowing a better way to jack it up...

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would check it occasionally for possible stress cracks near the bolt. "If you so choose" a welding shop can straighten the plate with their heavy tools.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just watch out for a blinker fluid leak.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I would leave it alone and not worry about it. But if you want to try to repair I would use a big channel-lock or adjustable wrench and bend it back. You could also try just a hammer and some careful pounding.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
I would make a couple of very persice measurements from axle to axle on both sides. If they are equal then your good.

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
I wouldn't be too concerned. You can use an adjustable wrench on there to straighten it out if you want.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's not going to have any effect being bent there. Enjoy your trip.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Don’t worry. Won’t hurt anything.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Your good to go. Don't do that again.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might, but not likely to change alignment of axle.
But my major question is do you now have a method to jack up trailer without more damage? And can you do it at side of road in the rain, with traffic flying by your donkey?

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
No problem, you made it a little stiffer.
al