cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,275 REPLIES 32,275

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
My oldest sister's husband passed away suddenly yesterday. They have been married over 50 years.
Please pray for her and the family.

He is the 3rd member of our family to pass in the last 12 months.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
our prayers go out to all in the path of Irma.

Say safe.
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

dturm
Our thoughts and prayers go out to our friends in FL. The weeks after storms can be a challenge for so many people, but it looks like the goodness and sense of community of people comes out in situations like these. Stay safe and let us know how you come out as soon as you can after Irma passes. If we can do anything let us know.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
We are about as ready for Irma as we can be. We live in Central Florida in a town called Leesburg, while we do live very close to a large Lake (Lake Harris) we are on a hill so flooding will not be a problem. What we do have is a bunch of very old Live Oak Trees.

We live about 2 1/2 miles from the main road and the way out takes you through some very big Live Oaks which are right on the roads. In 04 we were stuck here for days due to down trees.

The Motor Home is full of gas and ready to run. I figure with 85 gallons of gas we can run the generator for quite awhile. I've told my neighbors that they can plug in to run their refers a couple of hours at a time to keep the cold.

Friday evening, I decided to go to our Lowes and get some wood for our windows and was pleasantly surprised that they had what I needed.

I knew that with my bad back that I would need help. My next door neighbor jumped right in and between the two of us we had all the windows covered in under two hours!

After we were done I had 4 sheets left so I asked my other neighbors of they needed them, two of them took me up on it. They offered to pay me for the wood but I said "Nope we are neighbors and what I have you have". This is the way that most on our street are and we know how lucky to have neighbors like them.

As others have said, I have lived in Florida on and off since 1980 and have been through more than my fair share of storms both at home and at sea while I was sailing in the US Merchant Marine.

I am concerned for My Best Friend that lives in Naples. He is in charge of the Sewage Plant on Marco Island. They have evacuated but he had to stay at the plant. Last update have them looking at up to a 15 foot Tide Surge! If that happens it would wipe Marco and Naples out!

So, we will be at our Home (Brick) with our two Pups, Macy and Sandi for the duration.

My Thoughts and Prayers go out to all that are in Florida and hope that everyone comes through alright.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We are closing in on our exit time from Indiana. We leave the camp in another 4 days and go over to our duplex. Terry has some things he wants to do on the motorhome, so he will be busy with that. I always clean the house in case anyone in the family needs to use it during the winter. Then we head to central Indiana for doctor appointments.

We are watching Irma as our son lives in Melbourne. They have decided to shelter in place. He has a large concrete block constructed house with full shutters all around. The back of his house is all glass, but he has a hurricane folding metal door that goes all the way across the back. They stayed for Matthew last year and had 115 mph winds and didn't lose anything. Praying it all goes well for them this time. Praying for everyone there including you, Burch. Be safe. My son has his MIL coming to stay with her two large dogs. She doesn't have any kind of hurricane plan at her house.

Praying for minimal damage and little loss of life.

It has been cold here at night and cool days,but today we had sunshine so it was tolerable. I even walked my two miles today.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
Just got all the windows boarded up. The only thing I am a little concerned about is I have a triple sliding glass door that goes out to my porch. I don't have any more wood so hopefully they will hold.

well.

\
Burch
\
Burch, Bud (FL native) says can you tape those glass doors, top to bottom amd criss-cross left to right? Both sides would be good. I think I would use our old friend Duct Tape. Good luck to you!
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
The important thing is to be safe. The most dangerous part of this storm will be the storm surge along the coasts, but the wind can be dangerous as well: power lines, trees and flying debris can all be dangerous to human lives, so be safe and listen to the authorities and first responders.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just got all the windows boarded up. The only thing I am a little concerned about is I have a triple sliding glass door that goes out to my porch. I don't have any more wood so hopefully they will hold.

My mother and my father-in-law will be coming to stay with us until the storm has passed. My mom has a sweet beagle who will be coming as well.

I worry about our new motorhome. It's stored in a garage that is supposed to be hurricane rated. I have only made 3 payments on it so far. But, it can be replaced and lives can't so as long as we get through the storm safely, that's all that matters.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Praying for all in harms way.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
MetalGator wrote:
Good Morning

Please pray for us Florida folks. I have lived in Florida all of my 46 years and this is the first time a storm has frightened me. My house is right in the path. I will be spending today putting plywood over my windows. My mom and my father-in-law will be staying with us as they have been evacuated.

Burch

Good luck, Burch, to you and your family.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. It looks as if my daughter Robin and her husband Ed will be in harms' way with Irma. They live in the south west corner of Georgia close to the Alabama Florida border. Their home is in a low spot and with heavy rain their property will flood. Their home is a very old single wide trailer that has seen its best days. A strong wind just might finish it.

Prayers go out for all the folks in Florida and their pets along with all the animals and birds that will come under siege during this storm. Burch if there is anyway for you to leave I would do it ASAP. If need be you can come and stay with us until it is safe to go home. We have 30amp, water and sewer hook up on a pad in our back yard. However Irma will be on you heels if you come this way as she is tracking towards us according to the latest forecast.

Stay safe, and use good old common sense dealing with a storm this strong.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good Morning

Please pray for us Florida folks. I have lived in Florida all of my 46 years and this is the first time a storm has frightened me. My house is right in the path. I will be spending today putting plywood over my windows. My mom and my father-in-law will be staying with us as they have been evacuated.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Dashonthedash wrote:
Staying at Schoodic Woods. National Park campground with electric and water.

Enjoy your stay.
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Staying at Schoodic Woods. National Park campground with electric and water.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Dashonthedash wrote:
I will be heading to Acadia NP in Maine a week from Friday, hoping to catch the leaves turning. Originally intended to stay a week there, and return on Monday, but now will be returning a day early for a medical appointment. After that, I am going to Dewey Beach, Delaware for 5 days over Columbus Day weekend for the annual Greyhounds Reach the Beach.

Gary you will enjoy Acadia NP. Patty and I just left that area Tuesday. Some of the leaves were starting to turn. Weather was cool. Needed heat at night.
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion