cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,272 REPLIES 32,272

dturm
Happy New Year to you all.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. We had a safe trip Friday. It rained all the way here and traffic wasn't bad on the route we took. It rained yesterday and it's raining this morning. The fur babies are well. Sue's brother John and his wife were in the area on their way back to Michigan. They stopped by for lunch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Hope all had a safe and Merry Christmas. Our weather today was overcast but fairly nice the time of year. Temp was 51. Weather report said we have only had .1" all year. If you are traveling we wish you safe travels
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It has been a cold rainy day. The heavy rain is due here overnight. Maybe we will get a break in the morning so we can leave for Hilton Head.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. It's cloudy and 41 degrees here in the Deep South. The forecast is for heavy rain to move in during the night dropping anywhere from two to four inches of rain. We are supposed to leave in the morning for Hilton Head but with that much rain in the forecast we just might delay our start until Saturday morning, Better safe than sorry.

The camper is almost loaded. not much left to do except close the door and head up the highway.

Sue just left with Dixie and Suzie for their morning walk while Lizzie is playing with a shoe. This morning I let Dixie and Suzie in after they had finished their business in the yard, while Sue went to get Lizzie out of her room. She left Lizzie's food on the floor and Dixie found it, gone in two seconds.

Okay I hope all is well with everyone and I wish you a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Christmas has come and gone. I hope everyone had a great day with family and friends. Now I will start counting the days until Christmas 2019 and hope I am still around to celebrate it.

Yesterday Suzie got her new toy and she was so happy. Sue bought Dixie a toy for Christmas and didn't get Suzie anything. I told Sue that wasn't going to work. Her reply was Suzie wouldn't know the difference. The look on Suzie's face when Dixie got her present and she got nothing was a book written on her face of "How Dare You!" Suzie pouted and lay on her bed and she would not even look at us. I called her and she just lay there with that look in her eyes of I have been slighted and left out of Christmas. Suzie is no dummy and she can count. So I consoled Suzie and told her she would get something Christmas day.

So when we went to Allison's house we stopped at CVS and bought her a toy. She was so excited and I was so ashamed that we didn't get her something before Dixie got hers.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Merry Christmas!
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY HEASLTHY NEW YEAR
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Merry Christmas to everyone

Wife Sue

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Merry Christmas to all! Love the sign, Richard. It is so appropriate!

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Wishing everyone a Very Merry Christmas.
Safe travels to all who are traveling.

Hoping all of your Christmas wishes come true.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Like the sign.
Now all the lost dogs know where to go.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

dturm
Merry Christmas to all.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, that is nice. It is perfect!
:B

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Neat!

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all FOOFs!
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website