cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,272 REPLIES 32,272

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. It's raining here and mild with a temperature at 59 degrees. The fur gang is well, just waiting to go for a walk, but there isn't going to be a walk this morning.

Hope all is well with everyone and you have a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. It's cloudy this morning and not so cold. We have rain in the forecast for the next several days. I belong to the Montana forum and we are discussing slider hitches. Some folks have already paid the heavy price of damaging the truck cab and camper from towing with a short bed truck without a slider hitch. No matter how careful you are there will come a day when camper and truck will meet and do some damage when towing with a short bed truck and no slider hitch.

I hope everyone is doing well. Things here at home have settled down. We are feeling better and the fur gang is well. How are things at Gulf Shores? Each day here we are seeing signs of spring with flowers blooming and trees budding. We still don't have any plans of going anywhere any time soon.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Happy Anniversary Dan and Lori. Happy Valentine's day to all. It's cold here this morning at 29 degrees but a warm up is coming our way today. We have some trees blooming already so I hope spring is just around the corner.

The fur gang is well while Sue and I have our different aliments. Sue is suffering from vertigo while I have the GI trots. Anyway I am looking forward to a beautiful day here in the Deep South, but will be sticking close to home.

Walter you and Garland are having a wonderful time along with Dough and Sandy at Gulf Shores, wish we were there.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them. Gotta go..

Wife Sue

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Happy 45th Anniversary Dan and Lori.
Have a wonderful day.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Yesterday was a cold winter's day with rain all day long. I burned the last of the firewood, down to the last log, so I hope we have some nice warm days ahead,

This morning as I lay in bed looking at the sun coming up I began to think of how Sue and I started out. We had nothing except some furniture in a small apartment, with two teenage girls graduating from high school. I was working at Taylor Toyota while Sue was working at Augusta Hyundai, both of us were selling cars. We were living paycheck to paycheck. I got a job at Life of Georgia Insurance Company and it was an immediate success. I had a great manager named Joe Fulgham and he and I became great friends.

Sue meanwhile went to work for South Eastern Equipment Company where she excelled at her job and learned the business of government sales. Sue decided she could do the same job for us that she was doing for them so she and I decided to open her own business. Jessie Palmer was a life long friend of mine who was President of First National Bank Of Waynesboro and he gave us a line of credit, enough to start Sue's business, the rest is history.

I also was pastoring small churches that couldn't afford a full time pastor. This worked out very well for the churches and us. I think back to all that went on with us and how God provided for us in every way and I am amazed at the hand of God in our lives.

In 1990 my brother had been supporting my mother but his car dealership was going under and he was struggling. He could no longer afford to meet mother's expenses and asked if Sue and I would move into the house in Waynesboro and take care of her, so we did. This was not only a blessing for my brother and mom but also for us as well. From that point on things really took off for us. I look back and see how it all worked out for the best for the whole family.

We were not only able to help mother, we were also able to help my brother in his time of need. How the tables turned when it came time I was able to help my brother who had always taken care of me. Anyway I tell you this to let you know how great a God we serve and how He has always been there for Sue and I.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day, Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. It's raining and 48 degrees here this morning. The weatherman says it's going to rain all day and reach a high of 64 degrees. The camper is closed up tight with all the slides in waiting of spring to come. Son Scott talks about buying a camper this year, knowing how slow he moves it might be next year sometime before he takes the plunge.

I am thinking about travel plans for this summer. I keep bouncing back and forth about how far to travel. I would love to go North and visit Sue's brother and stop on the way home to visit Dan and Lori. I keep reminding myself that I said I wasn't going on anymore long trips, but staying close to home. Then I think about this might be the last chance I get to see friends and relations. I still plan to sell the camper and truck after this year, so we'll see what happens.

The fur gang is well, just waiting on someone to say "Let's go." However it's raining so I guess they will have to settle for the back yard.

Sue has gone to teach the school kids a bible lesson this morning. She will be back in a little while. Martyn good luck with the surgery.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them. Rosie how are you and Art?

Wife Sue

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, good luck with the surgery. Will be sending thoughts and prayers.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks folks - will be back as soon as pain permits!! LOL
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck on the surgery. Hope all goes well.

Wife Sue

dturm
Good luck with the surgery
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Martyn hope all goes well with knee replacement tomorrow.
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Charles and Charlotte - so sorry for your loss.

dturm wrote:

We just got done traveling I-10 from Pensacola to Tallahassee and the amount of damage is still amazing. There are stretches where all the trees have been sheered off about 10-15 feet above ground and others uprooted. We pulled off around Marianna, intending to pull into a Hardee's truck parking area. They were open, obviously serious damage somewhat repaired but their sign was a mangled piece of junk. All the billboard signs along the interstate were trashed. This went on for about 100 miles.

Yup - we drove up to Gainesville a couple of weeks ago. Saw a lot of that. Now.... imagine that 5 times worse and you will understand how badly Panama City and Mexico Beach got hit. Locals here are still fuming about how little coverage we get for the disaster here. 2nd worst hurricane ever to hit US. We are still under a state of emergency in Bay County. Currently about 400 FEMA trailers have been delivered to homeless, and God knows how many folks are living in tents or their own RV's. We just thank God that the storm dinked east, just before it hit us, and only blew off parts of our roof, all our fencing and trees. Looking out my front window I can see trees snapped in half liked you show in your picture! ๐Ÿ™‚

BTW - Although I don't post very often, I do read this topic every day - However, I will be off line for a bit - going in for knee replacement surgery tomorrow morning.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Charles and Charlotte so sorry for your loss.
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning every one. Once again Charles and Charlotte I am sorry for your loss. Perhaps there is a rescue just waiting for you to claim it and give it a new home.

It is raining here this morning and 40 degrees when we got up. Yesterday Sue and I stayed home. We missed church and a funeral because we just didn't feel like getting out. This morning we both feel better. Sue has already been out with Dixie and Suzie for a morning walk. Rain in the forecast for today and tomorrow. I looked through a photo album from the Old fella Rally in Branson from 2006, what beautiful memories. Walter you were a very young looking man in those pictures.

Well I guess today will be spent inside looking out at the rain. Sue is refilling the bird feeders for our feathered friends. We have so many birds that depend on us for their food. When I look out and see them I am thankful we proved such a service for them.

Talked with Dandy Dan last night, He and Lori are doing well. Lily and Anna are doing well also. It's amazing how we became friends with them. Anna was the bridge that brought us together.
Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Charles and Charolette
It will take some time for the hole left in your heart to heal My thoughts are with you
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge