cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,272 REPLIES 32,272

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Prayers for Charlotte and Charles. And for you, Richard. Hope all goes well for everyone today.

Terry seems to be slowly recovering from his bout with Entresto. His kidneys are functioning again and the doctor gave him another pill to make the lasix work better. From Thursday to Sunday he lost 5 pounds of water weight which is great. He has a cardiology appointment on Wednesday, so we will see what the doctor thinks. He's still uncomfortable but not as much as he was. Hard to get in/out of a car.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Be sure to remember Charlotte and Charles in your prayers as Charlotte goes into surgery this morning. Also remember me as I go to the doctor to have the catheter removed. Got to go so I will close wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi everyone. Tried to post earlier this morning and got dumped. so I am back again. It's been a slow Sunday. Sue went to church this morning while I held the house down. Sometime this morning lightening hit very close to the house. Suzie came and got into bed with us looking for comfort. Heck I was just as shook up and she was.

Counting the hours now until I can get the catheter out. WE have to leave at the crack of dawn to make the appointed time. I guess that is a good thing as I can get it over with and have the rest of the day to try and catch up on things.

Sue and I haven't been able to go any where since April. We were planning on the trip to Michigan and Ohio as our summer adventure and that got train wrecked. I may not be out of the woods with the prostate thing so we will have to wait and see what happens after the catheter come out.

Dan looks as if you and Patty are enjoying Tennessee. When you go to Nashville and if you make it to music row. that is where I worked with GRT records back in the 70's. The studio we used was Music City located close to the Hall of Fame Hotel.

I hope all is well with everyone and you are having a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
Just a few more days Richard and I'm praying everything goes good for you on Monday.

We are as well
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a few more days Richard and I'm praying everything goes good for you on Monday.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Great pictures Dan, glad the fellow wasn't hurt. Cades Cove is a beautiful drive, lots to see there. It can become crowded on the weekends and traveling through the cove can take hours. Glad you and family are having a good time.

Hope all is well with the FOOFS and everyone is healthy. I am still having my issues and a little tired this morning so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them,

Wife Sue

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer

A drive through Cade's Cove

Saw these Turkeys by the cemetery in Cade's cave. The 2 on the right are babies.

The only other wild animal we saw was a deer.
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer

This is at Riverside Park, it is the gentlemen that takes care of the grounds. I was in the process of shooting a video of another taken off with just the backpack version. But he crashed in the process so I had to quickly stop and run over. To him to see if he was hurt. Fortunately he was not.

We saw the Hatfield and McCoy show Wednesday night.
We thought it was a great show. The meal was served in buckets and was all you could eat. But we could not even eat what the gave us.
Food was great.
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Charles our prayers are going out for Charlotte and her surgery on Monday. Pray the weather won't hamper you in any way. Early this morning we had a strong thunder storm come through and dumped some rain. We forgot the patio umbrella was up and feared it was damaged, but this morning when we looked out it was fine.

Yesterday was a better day late in the afternoon. For some reason the pressure eased and I was comfortable and got a good night's sleep. We still have Lily with us and will have until some time Sunday. She and the cat have been stalking each other, both waiting for an opportunity to strike a blow. Lizzie is angry that Lily is with us but she is no fool and doesn't want a direct confrontation so she stalks Lily from the back of the couch or chairs as Lily walks by. Lily will sit and stare at Lizzie getting a fix on her as if she is about to run at her, but then we back her down.

Okay I hop all is well with everyone and I wish you a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you lobe them.

Wife Sue

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Charles you and Charlotte are in our prayers hoping all goes well with her surgery.

I did make it to the top of Clingmans but just could only get half way up the concrete overlook before the chaos struck me.
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

cimac
Explorer
Explorer
I climbed to the top of Clingman's dome when I was 17 and again at 63. I expect that was the last time. Heights do not bother me. My biggest fear is how mad Charlotte gets at me when I stand on an edge looking over. Dan, I'm glad you guys are having such a good time.

Charlotte's surgery is Monday, if the hurricane does not cause problems. It looks today that is will miss us. It will be a long day. Everyone, try to stay well. That looks like it is hard to do anymore. Richard, I hope Monday is a good day for you.

Dog are doing well. They don't want to stay outside too much. It is way to hot. Everyone, stay safe and enjoy life.
2013 Ford F350 PS CrewCab 4wd Dually
2011 Mobile Suites 36' RSSB3

Charles and Charlotte
Pet Crew: Guy 8 and Daisy 7. (All Rescues)
Rainbow Bridge: Bear 10, Raisins 11, Cookie 15, Bubba 11 , Oreo 16, Princess 13

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dogdiva wrote:
I am in t
hospital I can keep up with the thread

Mary Lou, what's going on with you? I hope you are not seriously ill.

Wife Sue

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
I am in t
hospital I can keep up with the thread
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. It is hard to get started when you are comfortable lying in bed and you have found that sweet spot in the bed where everything is relaxed and feels good. But when you have three fur babies waiting on you to get moving its hard to just lay there.

But here it is another day and three more days to go before I can have the catheter removed. Dr. Doug in reply to your post about getting old. I was always told these were the "Golden Years." I am still waiting on the gold.

Well Dan I am afraid of heights myself. I can put on two pair of socks, stand on my tip toes and get dizzy. I have climbed all the way to the top at Clingman's Dome before and it is not an easy walk. This was in my younger days when we would visit Cherokee each October with the kids and their families. Every October for twelve years we would meet at the Cherokee KOA for a weekend and explore the Smoky Mountains. It was great fun and a lot of good memories.

I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
We saw the Hatfields and McCoys last night. It was a good show with lots of laughs.

Food was great also.
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion