cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,272 REPLIES 32,272

Camper_Carl
Explorer
Explorer
campingshadow wrote:
As long as we are adding the no-no's ....might remind everyone not to feed your dog chocolate. Now, we have all been told that chocolate is poisonous to dogs....and so are Diffenbachia plants. Someone forgot to tell that to my dogs.

As for chocolate....My parents fed our Scottie Hersheys kisses for years! Even buried him with a bag of them!!! Never one problem. My sheltie mix climbed up on a table while I was gone and ate an entire batch of chocolate chip cookies.... other than a real sugar buzz - no problems at all.

Talking about dogs eating chocolates. My aunt had a German Short hair pointer. She got into a bowl of chocolates candy bars, the little tiny ones that you give out for Halloween treats. She ate the entire bowl that was about a 2 pound bag. When they rush her to the emergency vet the vet said to give her lot of water for that night and into the next day. She had no side effects at all. In fact, She live 14 years passed that day she ate the candy. She lived to the ripe old age of 17, which is old for a dog of that size and breed. When we were at the vets that night, not only did the vet not do anything to the dog, the vet did not even look like she was in a panic about want the dog had done. I don't think I will be feeding any of my dogs chocolates, but I have heard a lot of stories about dogs eating things that should kill them and they live a good long healthy life afterwards. I don't know if I should tell you all this story or not, but we had a cat that ate a marijuana plant. The cat was high for a week. It was funny. Anyway, great post.....:)

Carl
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
payments on your RV.

2007 campouts: 2
Days: 6
Miles Towed: 475

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
As long as we are adding the no-no's ....might remind everyone not to feed your dog chocolate. Now, we have all been told that chocolate is poisonous to dogs....and so are Diffenbachia plants. Someone forgot to tell that to my dogs.

One dog ate an ENTIRE Diffenbachia plant (a houseplant). Ate the leaves, the stem and the roots and left nothing but a pile of dirt and an empty planter on the living room carpet. When I got home I called the vet and asked what I should do...he said call the poison control center. Called them and they said call your vet. Called the vet back again and he said try to get the dog to throw up. Checked and the dog had thrown up twice. Vet said that was probably all that could be done. There were absolutely NO other effects of his dirty deed and even though the plant is supposed to be deadly to dogs.....he lived for about 12 more years with no problems.

As for chocolate....My parents fed our Scottie Hersheys kisses for years! Even buried him with a bag of them!!! Never one problem. My sheltie mix climbed up on a table while I was gone and ate an entire batch of chocolate chip cookies.... other than a real sugar buzz - no problems at all.

So for every story of a huge problem there will be one of no problems.....but just to be safe....don't give them chocolate or Diffenbachia plants......Oh, and by the way.....I have fed cooked bones to every dog I have owned over the last 60 years....and never had a problem with those either!!!! Hmmm...my animals are either tough, stupid or just very darn healthy!!!! Or all three. ๐Ÿ™‚
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

GreenRiverGroun
Explorer
Explorer
Our two labs eat Pro Plan (chicken) mixed with Science Diet Nature's Best. I also have them on free-feed. If I fill up their bowls, it could take two or three days before they (the bowls!) are empty. They tend to eat much less in the summer than in the winter. They don't eat canned food (unless they are cleaning the cat dishes - Science Diet & Nutro), but I do give them cooked chicken breast or beef every so often.

Hunter has a cracked tooth - he has had it since we got him. He chews bones, pig ears and various rawhide/pigskin chews with no problem.

I got your card today - let's just say it is a privilege to help.
2005 Jay Feather 29Y
2004 Nissan Armada LE 4x4
5 Happy Campers
2 Camping Labs

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
My Kids swear by Nutro Lamb and Rice, We mix frozen (thawed) green beans to add bulk and keep the weight off. No complaints yet.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that the grocery store dog foods (canned and kibble) are mostly cereal and not really good for the dog. One nice side effect of feeding a premium food is much more compact poops, because more of the food is being digested. Makes it so much easier to pick up in the yard. We feed our dogs Nutro Max (PetsMart) and our girls have also never had fleas, though I don't know if there is a connection. I do put Frontline on them if we go camping. Rich, if you try another kibble, be sure to mix it with the old food gradually over a few days or they can get tummy upsets. With Old Fella's broken teeth, does he chew the kibble okay? If not, you can dampen it with a bit of warm water for him. The premium foods in canned form are very expensive and probably not needed, unless his teeth get worse. I'm also not sure if raw bones would be good or bad with his broken teeth, but cooked bones are a definite no-no. Also, with the holidays coming, avoid giving the boys any ham or turkey skin. A lot of dogs get pancreatitis from their humans sharing the bounty at Thanksgiving. I'll bet his coat and odor will greatly improve with a premium food. Read the ingredients list and make sure meat or chicken is at the top of the list. You will be amazed at what some of the cheaper brands contain.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
campingshadow wrote:
... However, I must say that I think there are other quality foods than those you mentioned that are a lot easier to find in most local pet stores.

I have had extremely good luck with Eukanuba foods, and I know others that swear by Science Diet. My dogs have been shown in obedience and taken on long horseback rides and have been very healthy with outstanding shiny coats and lots of energy.

Not to say that your way is wrong.....just presenting another side of the coin. ๐Ÿ™‚

I find your post very interesting because I mentioned having our dogs on Science Diet last week, and several "experts" here told me that vets (mind you, I mean the doctors of veterinary medicine who are trained to care for animals) didn't really know anything about animal nutrition, and that we should never buy any food they sell there. :E

No, of course, I didn't switch foods based on that. :R But I am glad to see, as you say, another side of the coin where animals (like mine) have shiny coats and are healthy, without buying food on the Internet. :W

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
RommiesMom....I agree with you about the Kibbles and Bits. I also believe that the pet food in grocery stores is not good quality food for our pets. However, I must say that I think there are other quality foods than those you mentioned that are a lot easier to find in most local pet stores.

I have had extremely good luck with Eukanuba foods, and I know others that swear by Science Diet. My dogs have been shown in obedience and taken on long horseback rides and have been very healthy with outstanding shiny coats and lots of energy. All the dogs I have owned were/are on free feed for years and they have all benefited from the flexibility of eating when they were hungry. Yes, most dogs do eat large amounts at once - but I have found that mine eat their free feed the same way. They eat till they are full and walk away.....occasionally stopping by for a snack. I find free feeding is exceptionally good when you are feeding multiple dogs as it eliminates the fighting over food or one dog trying to inhale it's food so it can hurry and get to the other dogs food.

My vet told me that Labs are tradionally chow hounds and will eat till they burst. Mine were on free feed and were in top notch condition. They were started on Eukanuba as pups, had it their entire lives, were very active with beautiful coats and only needed to go to the vet for their routine shots. AND as a bonus, they never had fleas! We took them to dog parks, the ocean, the mountains, camping all around the country and no fleas!!! My results may not have been the same than everyone would get....but I was certainly pleased with them.

Not to say that your way is wrong.....just presenting another side of the coin. ๐Ÿ™‚
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happytraveler wrote:
Dixie Flyer

I'm just thrilled that everything is working out. Good luck

Old Fella is a miracle dog in many ways. Everyday I am discovering something amazing about this old stray. He has the best manners you can imagine, Except for the hamburger he tried to snatch from the kitchen table while my back was turned. That was that old campground mentality coming out, but he quickly repented of that act of brashness when I screamed "NO" just as his lips were about to surround that luscious piece of morsel. He stopped dead in his tracks like a stop action on the video screen and looked at me with fear that his life was about to come to an abrupt end. He relinquished the hamburger and step down off the chair and ask for immediate forgiveness,which I so graciously gave him, until next time.

He is the best tempered animal I have ever known. You can do anything with him you want as long as he understands you are not going to hurt him. What trust he has now and such love. What a blessing he is to our household.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Ok Folks, everyone seemed really interested in a rally, where are you now? please see the below information and then go to the rally page and let us know if you can go. Please Lets make this happen big time.
Thank you.
Lynn, Friends of Old Fella Rally.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dixie Flyer

Waynesboro, Georgia

As of 4:15 Eastern Standard Time we have four to register for the rally. We need six more quickly so ABC can officially call it a rally. So lets get going and make those reservations, Old Fella wants to meet you in Branson, Missouri. Michelle Ward is waiting for your call @ 1-800-671-4399.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, If you have or have not registered yet please do so. If you have post it on the rally page please so we know who is able to go.
Thank you.
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Pamela,

Your picture is great!!! Fun, huh? Now, you still need to post a bunch over on the Picture thread. ๐Ÿ™‚

Old Fellow has his work cut out for him, picking between all the lovely ladies. :W

Barbara

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer

Thank you so much for sending a thank you card and pictures. I'll tell you Old Fellow looks like a different dog. He looks so healthy compared of what he look like before. You and your wife are amazing people to take this on. I'm just thrilled that everything is working out. Good luck
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just went on line and found the Eagle Pack dog food, but the nearest store is in Aiken, SC which is about 45 miles from me. There is a Pet Smart Store in Augusta, GA which is closer to me, so I will look there. Thank you for the information.

Wife Sue

RommiesMom
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:

I feed both Levi and Old Fella Kibble and Bits and early morning they each get can food. I leave the dry food out so they can eat as they feel like it.

DF,
I have some pretty strong opinions about the importance of top-quality nutrition for cats and dogs. Hope I don't offend you by saying Kibbles and Bits doesn't meet my standards :)...

I once adopted a litter of Maine Coon kittens (it was supposed to be a foster situation but they all stayed). They were malnourished, had pneumonia, and ringworm so bad they all had about 3 hairs left on the top of their head. It took me 6 months to get them well but I had a lovely wall full of cat show ribbons from their respective careers in the show ring. What got them, not just well, but in blooming good health, was mostly good nutrition (once we got the pneumonia taken care of).

My dog was adopted from the shelter at the age of 6 months, with ear and skin infections and a horrible body odor. Within just a couple of weeks, the best food I could find for her had turned her around an amazing amount, the vet could hardly believe it. I just got another compliment today on her condition when I picked her up from a weekend's boarding.

The FIRST place that nutrition that is "less than optimum" will show up, is the skin and coat (smelly ears are included in skin issues). A dog who's susceptible to skin trouble needs the best nutrition you can give them.

My advice would be this: never feed anything that comes from a grocery store (except for raw bones...more on that later).

Nutro Natural, which you can find at Petco and Petsmart, is acceptable, but what I would really recommend is a 'super premium' brand, that uses human-grade ingredients. They're a bit harder to find, but they are definitely worth it.

They're also more expensive but you save the money on vet bills. Why use medicines to try to suppress a skin condition, when you can just keep it from happening by feeding a high quality food?

Super premium brands include Canidae (there's a Felidae for cats), Innova, Eagle Pack, Flint River Ranch, etc.

I've tried both Canidae and Innova, but Rommie has a bit of a sensitive stomach and something in them gave her a bit of loose stool (Canidae uses multiple meat proteins, which increases the chance that one of them will not set well on the stomach). I've fed her Eagle Pack Holistic Select
(http://www.eaglepack.com/)
for about a year and a half, and I'm VERY happy with it. My cats get Eagle Pack Holistic Select cat food as well.

As a bonus it's a bit less expensive than Canidae and Innova. I'm really lucky that a store that carries all of these brands plus a few others is only a couple of blocks away. When we lived in other places, though, I made the extra effort necessary to get the super premium foods. If you want more info or help finding a place that carries these, just let me know. Most of their web pages have retail locators you can use to look up stores.

Also, every couple of weeks, Rommie gets a RAW bone (soup bones, knuckle bones, rib bones). This cleans her teeth til they GLEAM. Dogs or cats shouldn't be given COOKED bones ever, but RAW bones are very good for them.

As for leaving food out...I, personally don't do that. There's some evidence that it's better for them (dogs and cats, after all, aren't "grazers" like a cow, they're naturally predators that eat big meals at intervals). Another argument is that a dog or cat who 'grazes' a bit all day, has a more sluggish digestive system than one who eats only once or twice a day. If the blood's not being used for digestion that frees it up for it's other important bodily duties. People have said that dogs or cats who had 'less than ideal' skin and coats, or eye gunk issues, cleared up once the food quality was improved and food was not left out all day.

It's easier to keep their weight under control, plus they really enjoy the excitement of mealtime (my cats in particular act like food that's been sitting out for an hour or 2 is 'stale' and needs to be replaced).

Pauls_lady
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks go to Barb if this pic shows up. Here is my DH with Kobai (the big dog) and Lilly Belle (the female who things she is human and thinks Old Fella is a hottie!):W

Pamela

(helps if you put in the link)

Paul & Pamela
ds;20,dd;18,ds;13,ds;12
Lilly Belle & Hachi rescue Akita
Kobai; Rainbow Bridge 6/9/06 Always Loved
'01 Excursion V10
'05 Arctic Fox 27F;2nd year;CA Delta
'99 Taurus SHO
'00 BMW R1100 RT
'07 Expedition LT
'07 Honda Aero Motorcycle - The wife's ride!

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Rich, you might try Kritter Spritz, here's the link.

http://www.cleanlifetech.com

Also you might want to get him off wheat/corn. But in addition, there's a nutritional combo, quercetin/bromelain, which is fantastic for allergies and he can take it every day without the side effects of being on a medication. I get mine from Swansons, or used to when I had allergies and had a dog with allergies. The dose is fairly high, with that brand its 6 capsules for people, I'd try half that on a dog. Just something to think about. Here's an article on it...

http://www.vrp.com/art/1209.asp
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.