cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,272 REPLIES 32,272

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
Just a bit about heartworms. The vet is saying he can give a clean bill of health next week? I find this confusing and here is why. Since I just rescued Heidi from a shelter and she had a "severe" case of heartworms, I have been thru this and feel I have gathered some knowledge on the subject. I did some internet research as well.

With heartworms, the vet tests the dog and is able to show you how strongly positive the dog is testing on a meter. If the meter lights up on the right, it is a mild case, if it lights on the left it is severe. To treat a dog with severe heartworms requires that the dog stay at the vet for at least 2 days and gets two very painful shots in the back. Because of the painful shots the dog is sedated. Then it needs to be watched carefully for reactions and must be kept as quiet as possible for a minimum of 30 days after treatment. Then they go BACK for another shot but this time are allowed to go home at the end of the day. Still, it is recommended that the dogs activities be restrained for a few more weeks.

The reason for requiring full bed rest is the fact that the adult heartworms are 6 inches long and do live in the heart. They have microscopic babies that go thru the blood stream and are taken up by mosquitos and passed on by biting other dogs. The babies make their way to the heart and take up resdience in the new dog. The treatment kills the adult worms and then they begin to break up into pieces. As these pieces start to go thru the bloodstream they can cause blood clots and if one goes to the lungs they can kill the dog. Exercise makes the heart beat faster and can speed up large chunks of heartworms thru the system.

The shot a month after the first treatment is to try and kill any adults that were missed from the first treatment. Monthly does of Heartgard will catch any that are left. BUT...and this is the important part......for at LEAST 6 more months the dog will continue to test positive for heartworms!!!!!! Therefore, no vet can tell you the dog is heartworm free after just a month!!!! Till all the adults are completely gone, the dog will still test positive.

Heidi made it thru her treatment with flying colors. But my vet will not even think of testing her till her 6 months are up. He tells me it is a guarantee that she will test positive till then.

Unless your vet used a different kind of treatment (there are only two and one is no longer being used by most vets), or Old Fella tested VERY light for heartworms in the first place in which the second treatment would most likely not be necessary, I find it interesting that he is ready to give a clean bill of health diagnosis just one week after a second treatment!!!

I an sure Old Fella is on the road to recovery, and I am very happy that he is recovering so well. Maybe when you go back you can ask him about how he tests and confirms the dog is free of worms so fast. He is an older vet, maybe he knows something that my vet doesn't. I am just curious as I would love to not have to wait that 6 months to know that Heidi is free of those pests.

It is likely that Old Fella had a very mild case of heartworms and therefore was able to get by on a reduced treatment plan. If so, he was a lucky pooch...living outside all that time would have exposed him to many a mosquito!!!!! Old Fella has truly been living under a lucky star lately. I am so glad he found you!!!!!
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paolo's pack wrote:
DF & OF
I wish you both a long and happy life together.
And I hope that by spreading the news about you two, we can make the same thing happen again where it is needed.

Regine

I believe this rally in Branson, Missouri will go a long ways to that end. When folks get to meet Old Fella and see what was left for junk turned out to be the Crown Jewel of them all there will be less strays hanging around unwanted. If there is a message here it is this. The people of this forum have the love, determination, and imagination to make dreams come true.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

leftnoright
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
This morning was the first real cool snap of the fall season. We left the heat off and it got down to 58 degrees in the house this morning. Old Fella was curled up in a knot on his bed so comfortable and I thought to myself, old boy you will never have to spend another cold and miserable night outside again for the rest your life. I wonder what it was like for him in the winter time when it would rain and turn cold? I wonder how many more Old Fella's are out there waiting for someone?

Yes, don't you just wonder how hard it was for him to survive - the cold and the wet and not having enough to eat, never knowing if he would get a handout or a boot. I'm so thankful all is working out for him and your family and your other pets.
Linda(poster)
Fred (the innocent husband)
Jordan (Shih-Poo Rescue)
Mitzi (Pom now with Rainbow Division)

Paolo_s_pack
Explorer
Explorer
DF & OF
I wish you both a long and happy life together.
And I hope that by spreading the news about you two, we can make the same thing happen again where it is needed.

Regine
Spirit of Paolo
1985 Dodge Ram Custom 250 conversion

Camper_Carl
Explorer
Explorer
This morning was the first real cool snap of the fall season. We left the heat off and it got down to 58 degrees in the house this morning. Old Fella was curled up in a knot on his bed so comfortable and I thought to myself, old boy you will never have to spend another cold and miserable night outside again for the rest your life. I wonder what it was like for him in the winter time when it would rain and turn cold? I wonder how many more Old Fella's are out there waiting for someone?

Richard,
This is what make you a true hero in my book. We have been having some rain here in sunny So. California the last 2 days. Last night Pattie and I were just talking about Old Fella and what he would be doing on a rainy night.
You know the old saying for every action there is a re-action. Your action of saving Old Fella life has the re-action of the unconditional love that Old Fella is giving back to you.

Good job Richard. May God blessings be with you always

Carl
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
payments on your RV.

2007 campouts: 2
Days: 6
Miles Towed: 475

webfam414
Explorer
Explorer
TTBeachBumWonderful news. Your first line had me gasp, though. I am so glad that the heartworm treatments are effective. Good Work! I love the bond that you and O.F. have. It is awesome. Once again, thank you for all that have done for this sweet senior canine. I agree may he never spend a cold, damp night outside every again and may he enjoy his retirement.[/quote wrote:

A big second here. I am so happy to hear this good news. God bless you for taking such good care of Old Fella.
P & J :W
2 crazy kids (ages 4 1/2 & 7):B
Hunter-our "not so" Miniature Schnauzer
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z85 towing package
2005 Trail Cruiser 30QBSS

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Just got back from the vet and it is a good news, bad news thing. The bad news is he still has some heart worms that survived the treatment. The good news is that Dr. Gradous thinks this one last treatment will get rid of those that are left and he will be in no danger as this round of drugs is not as strong as the last.

He has to have a lot of sugar today as this dose will lower his energy level, so he gets Honey Buns for the rest of the day. I wonder if I could get a recommendation like that from my doctor? Anyway, it looks as if Old Fella is out of the woods and will live a long healthy life. I take him back one week from today to get his clean bill of health. Oh my how I love that dog!

Wonderful news. Your first line had me gasp, though. I am so glad that the heartworm treatments are effective. Good Work! I love the bond that you and O.F. have. It is awesome. Once again, thank you for all that have done for this sweet senior canine. I agree may he never spend a cold, damp night outside every again and may he enjoy his retirement.

Luizianna
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie..got the pics and card...thank you. Yes, the love you feel for O.F. is quite apparent in your postings. I know you love your other pets also, but there is a bond between you and O.F. that cannot be explained. Just enjoy.
Virgil, Linda & Katie, The Pampered Poodle
05 30` Cardinal LE
www.cardinalrvclub.org

SOME PEOPLE THINK THERE IS A REWARD FOR FINDING FAULT

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Richard
:B oh happy day:)
That is the best news ever. Thanks for the update.
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
way to go Old Fella and Rich!! excellent news!

I had a Pyrenees once who got into a bowl of Hersheys Kisses one Halloween night, ate the whole thing, foil and all. He didn't look too good the next day. This guy was a real character, was rattlesnake bit twice and lived to 15-1/2. We had him and three females and he was a very happy fellow, he kept everyone in line very well, no problems. We moved to the PNW when he was 14, we went to the beach one winter day and he took off into the surf, a wild, crashing, cold surf, and started off to Hawaii. We lost sight of him and were frantic with worry, we looked for him for around twenty minutes and thought for sure he had drowned but sure enough as we were leaving he came paddling back in!

When he was three he fell out of the back of the truck along I-10 east of Tucson. I was too young and stupid at that time to have him restrained. We noticed he was gone and had no idea when he fell out. The next day we went back and could not find him, thought for sure he would be along the freeway. Then the following day I decided to walk the area I thought most likely he fell, walked for 12 miles in 110 degree heat calling his name the whole way. Sure enough here he comes up at of a ravine and in shock. All he suffered was a broken tooth and road rash. We were VERY happy to see each other.

He was a trickster until the very end. In the last months of his life he couldn't really do much, just liked to lay by the creek, but when we would leave home he would go into the bathroom, gently grasp the end of the TP roll, and ROLL the house, by pulling the roll out until it was all despensed to his satisfaction. He did this a few times and it was so funny, but we finally had to start closing the bathroom door.

This guy has been gone for 10 years now and I miss him soooo much. Man I love my pups!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got back from the vet and it is a good news, bad news thing. The bad news is he still has some heart worms that survived the treatment. The good news is that Dr. Gradous thinks this one last treatment will get rid of those that are left and he will be in no danger as this round of drugs is not as strong as the last.

He has to have a lot of sugar today as this dose will lower his energy level, so he gets Honey Buns for the rest of the day. I wonder if I could get a recommendation like that from my doctor? Anyway, it looks as if Old Fella is out of the woods and will live a long healthy life. I take him back one week from today to get his clean bill of health. Oh my how I love that dog!

Wife Sue

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
I think chocolate tolerance is an individual thing. Andy was into chocolate, and in the course of fourteen years living with me, a confirmed chocoholic, he got into it a number of times. Only thing I ever saw from it was loose stools one time when he ate a whole bag of double chocolate chocolate chips. The day before a road trip. Along with turkey jerky, dried fruit, and I forget what else. I always LOVE starting a road trip with a long haired dog with the runs....

Now I had a beagle mix about 30 pounds, who, at age 17, ate a half pound bar of dark chocolate. She didn't feel to well after that, but I didn't know what had happened and so didn't get her stomach pumped or anything. She also had an upset stomach and was very restless for a number of hours, but no ill effects afterwards.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

GreenRiverGroun
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a flip-side story about chocolate: My dentist had either a yellow lab or a golden (can't remember which) and it ate a whole pan of brownies one day while they were at work. Unfortunately, by the time everyone got home and discovered what had happened, it was too late to save the dog. So, even though some dogs can tolerate large amounts of chocolate with no ill effects, others can't.

Here's hoping for a good report from the vet!
2005 Jay Feather 29Y
2004 Nissan Armada LE 4x4
5 Happy Campers
2 Camping Labs

smurf764
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
... I wonder how many more Old Fella's are out there waiting for someone?...

Amen
Regards

Gary

2003 F-250 Lariat CC 6.0 PSD
2004 Springdale 286 RLDS
3 goldens/2 yellow labs and

Dylan, the golden "Wonderdog",
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge since 3-16-05

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I take Old Fella to the vet this morning to find out about how effective his heart worm tretament has been and if there is going to be another one. I will let you know as soon as I get back. Old Fella seems to be doing great so I am not expecting anything but good news.

By the way, remember a few weeks ago I was concerned about Old Fella using the house for his bathroom? Well I am happy to report that my first findings are true indeed. This ole boy was house broken years ago in his other life. He has not messed up once. When he goes outside and comes back in he waits at the door for his treat and pat on the head for being a good boy and taking his business outside.

Wife Sue