cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,272 REPLIES 32,272

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Prayers going out from here, too!! You have some wonderful companions to help you through the recovery period!!

Deb
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

clinton
Explorer
Explorer
You are in my prayers Richard.

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I am so sorry that your have to go through more eye surgery. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

Susee
Explorer
Explorer
No I'm sorry Dixie Flyer but we will not be able to make it but Thank You for the Invite. Sorry to hear about your recent setback but we all know you will come through it just like Old Fella did,he will be right by your side guiding you and showing you if I can do it so can you.
HUBBY the driver ๐Ÿ™‚
WIFE the co pilot ๐Ÿ˜‰
1 SON :C
2 Mini Schnauzer Puppies Heidi & Schnitzel

2003 19ft Wildwood Travel Trailer
2001 Ford EB Expedition 5.4 V 8

1995 Ford Explorer V 6
1999-2003 Rockwood Tent Trailer ~ 1997-1999 TENTING

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Hang in there, Richard. There are many people out here praying for you. Old Fella will be right by your side thru the recovery, just like you were there for him.
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
(((((richard))))))))

Breathe deeply, pet your dog, and we'll pray for you while you get through this mess.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
Major bummer. Hang in there Rich. Take Care.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Susee wrote:
Well I just found this post yesterday and finally finished reading all of it and I must say Dixie Flyer and Old Fella you both have a place in my heart. This has been one WONDERFUL STORY. THANK YOU DIXIE FLYER for being such a KIND MAN.

Gary I just wanted to say I'm really so sorry to hear about Allen. He will always be in your Heart.

Do you think that you and your family could attend the rally in Branson, Missouri. There are folks coming from California that maybe you could convoy up with?

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I'm very sorry to hear this bad news. Not good, at all.

At times like this we have to take a lesson from our canines ... take it one day at a time and do the best you can with each day. Don't think too far ahead because it can be overwhelming and don't dwell on the past because it's done and gone. And always remember, you are NOT alone. And maybe, just maybe, this is why Old Fella, and all of us FOOFers, came into your life!

Again, I'm very sorry to hear this news.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe I should put this somewhere else on the thread, but I feel as if this is my family, so here goes.

The doctor told me that I needed to do surgery again, scar tissue has formed at the retina that will have to be removed, so once again I face invasive surgery on the left eye. The bad news is this time he is going to replace the natural fluid that is in the eye with oil. The oil will have to stay in the eye from 9 to 12 months and during that time the eye will be useless to me. There are two surgeries that I have to go through. First next Tuesday at 6:45AM I will have a cataract remove in that eye and a lens implanted. Second the major surgery which hasn't been scheduled yet, will take place after I visit the Retina eye doctor next Wednesday and he determines that I am ready for it.

This is a bummer, but hey, whatever, I will just have to get through it the best I can.

Richard

Wife Sue

Susee
Explorer
Explorer
Well I just found this post yesterday and finally finished reading all of it and I must say Dixie Flyer and Old Fella you both have a place in my heart. This has been one WONDERFUL STORY. THANK YOU DIXIE FLYER for being such a KIND MAN.

Gary I just wanted to say I'm really so sorry to hear about Allen. He will always be in your Heart.
HUBBY the driver ๐Ÿ™‚
WIFE the co pilot ๐Ÿ˜‰
1 SON :C
2 Mini Schnauzer Puppies Heidi & Schnitzel

2003 19ft Wildwood Travel Trailer
2001 Ford EB Expedition 5.4 V 8

1995 Ford Explorer V 6
1999-2003 Rockwood Tent Trailer ~ 1997-1999 TENTING

Camper_Carl
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Richard,
Has been a while since I was on this post. I just looked at the hits and its over 41,000 hits. This post just keeps going. Keep up the great work not only on the post but with Old Fella also.

Carl
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
payments on your RV.

2007 campouts: 2
Days: 6
Miles Towed: 475

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like Old Fella is gaining in popularity. Check this out.

Branson Missouri Old Fella

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had planned to go outside today and take some pictures of Old Fella and family, but it has turned cold and has rained all day. The temp was supose to get up to 50, but it never made it out of the 40's. Fella didn't get to go for his walk so he is miserable and restless. He has looked at me with that sad eye look and everytime I move he gets up to see if I am going outside.

Maybe it will be a better day tomorrow. I hope so anyway. Wishing everyone a great weekend.

Dixie Flyer

Wife Sue

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
'SPECIAL SEVEN'

We knew we were Special,
Right from the start.
You loved us so dearly,
Deep down in your heart.

Our leaving has hurt you, but try not to cry,
One fine day, we'll meet in the sky.
Kendal was waiting, so healthy and strong,
She was delighted, she'd waited so long.

We're all very happy, we miss you we do,
Us Seven together we'll all start anew.
Remember we Love you, just look to a star,
We're sometimes close by you, we'll never be far.

Our wings they are glistening,
In the bright golden sun.
We're Gods Special Angels,
We are second to none!

Irene Linden
Dedicated to our Special Seven -
Kendal, Crystal, Kayla, Blossom, Jessie, Emily and Kerrus.