cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,272 REPLIES 32,272

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
God speed your journey and Anna's

By the way, whatever happened to the German Shepherd, and has Timmy found a dog yet? (My word, this is better than a soap opera...stayed tuned for the next exciting episode of "A very old stray") :B
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

MuleBrand
Explorer
Explorer
Blessings for safe travels to all those involved in transporting Anna II!:B
David and Pam
2011 Itasca Impulse

DeeReed
Explorer
Explorer
This continues to be a great story! Safe journeys, Anna II.

Dee
Dee Reed
Back again to RV.net after a few years
Now living in Phoenix

sukerpooch
Explorer
Explorer
Safe travels everyone and God bless. I read this first thing when I get to work everyday. I think my boss thinks I have emotional problems as I'm needing tissues darn near every morning! That was a wonderful video and it amazes me how much one person can make a difference.
Jim & Becky (mostly Becky, unless its the Tech forums!)
Suki the camping Akita
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Dually w/ MegaCab (for the spoiled dog!)
2005 MOUNTAINEER 335RLBS

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Safe travel and may angels fly with you on your journey
Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Chemgoddess1
Explorer
Explorer
You should have issued a tissue alert for the video!!!

Richard, you definately have a way with animals. Even though she has not been with you much you could see the love in her eyes. Saint Francis in the flesh.

2007 Fleetwood Utah PUP
Me (Pam)
John (husband)
Ian
Ben
Quincy (My heart dog, Rainbow Bridge January 2015)
Chloe (very lucky rescue furkid)
Spike (Iguana eating all the strawberries he can on the other end of the rainbow)

[purple]live well, laugh often, love much[/purple]

Starfire5
Explorer
Explorer
Prayers for a safe journey for AnnaII and everyone involved!
Catmom to our 3 camping cats: Helen the orange kitty, tiger Suzy (both rescues, too) and our new gorgeous girl, Samantha.
Doggie Grandma to one gorgeous golden puppy named Jameson

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will be leaving soon. Pray that everyone involved in today's travel will arrive safe. Mary we will see you this afternoon.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

RVSnowbird
Explorer
Explorer
way to go Dixie Flyer and all that are involved in this effort!

Like the many others, I have been watching this develop from the beginning with the anticipation that it will happen. Though it was a team effort, you were the quarterback and called the plays. My compliments to you all for a job well done!

RVSnowbird
have you checked out the new RV.net Blogs yet?

Deceased 2/28/08 RIP

Susee
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Susee wrote:
ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL STORY. All people involved in this journey for Anna II's forever home are truly angels.

Did you click on the video link and see the live news clip?

Yes I did Richard . Now we have a Live voice to the Wonderful Man & Wonderful Story about a Old Dog named Old Fella.
HUBBY the driver ๐Ÿ™‚
WIFE the co pilot ๐Ÿ˜‰
1 SON :C
2 Mini Schnauzer Puppies Heidi & Schnitzel

2003 19ft Wildwood Travel Trailer
2001 Ford EB Expedition 5.4 V 8

1995 Ford Explorer V 6
1999-2003 Rockwood Tent Trailer ~ 1997-1999 TENTING

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
Good job, Rich!!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Susee wrote:
ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL STORY. All people involved in this journey for Anna II's forever home are truly angels.

Did you click on the video link and see the live news clip?

Wife Sue

Susee
Explorer
Explorer
HUBBY the driver ๐Ÿ™‚
WIFE the co pilot ๐Ÿ˜‰
1 SON :C
2 Mini Schnauzer Puppies Heidi & Schnitzel

2003 19ft Wildwood Travel Trailer
2001 Ford EB Expedition 5.4 V 8

1995 Ford Explorer V 6
1999-2003 Rockwood Tent Trailer ~ 1997-1999 TENTING

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

NBC NEWS RELEASE ANNA'S JOURNEY

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anna II is a very happy little girl

Wife Sue