cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,272 REPLIES 32,272

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over the past few days I have noticed Old Fella slowing down and hurting when he walks. The lower joint on his good leg is swollen very bad. We went through this two years ago when Sue and I had to carry him out to the yard on a stretcher every day so he could take care of business. For seven days he couldn't walk and would just lay in the yard waiting for us to come and tend to him. He shut down his bowels and urine and came close to having bad toxin levels. I sure hope this is not what is happening again. This morning he ate but you can tell he isn't feeling well.

I know he is an old dog and has lived two and a half years longer than he would have, but I do hope that he is allowed length of days to equal the time he spent as a stray. That would only seem right that he have that. When I think of what he must have suffered in that campground for five years and how he survived and the battles he has fought and won since that time I know he is a trooper and a very tough old dog. Okay, I have to go now and take care of Fella and make sure his is comfortable. Talk with you later.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
I've clicked on it daily for about 4 mos. now. Everybody should.
E.Texan

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a direct link to the site....I clicked and will do so each day.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Ambow, just went to the website and clicked, and a bowl of food was donated. What a great way for sponsors to help. We all should click.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

W7SFO
Explorer
Explorer
DAD! LET US OUT!

Ryan,
Spanaway WA.
2001 Sunnybrook
See me on Facebook!
Enjoying camping every chance I get.
Enjoy meeting other folks in the area to camp with.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ambow wrote:
What a great story...Now all you animal lovers may I suggest a web site you can click on daily and the sponsors supply dog food for strays in shelters.

I get a reminder in my email box every day and click on the link .
Only takes a second and one gets a sense of helping a poor critter somewhere.

www.theanimalrescuesite.com...

The information is all there...

Welcome to the thread Ambow. Now that you have read the story how about joining us at the Old Fella Rally in Branson, Missouri June 4-8 2008. We would love to have you and you will get to meet some wonderful people and one great old black dog named Old Fella.

Wife Sue

Ambow
Explorer
Explorer
What a great story...Now all you animal lovers may I suggest a web site you can click on daily and the sponsors supply dog food for strays in shelters.

I get a reminder in my email box every day and click on the link .
Only takes a second and one gets a sense of helping a poor critter somewhere.

www.theanimalrescuesite.com...

The information is all there...
Ringo

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
What an angelic face. Looks CAN be deceiving.:B
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:

And here's Suzie

One of her rare quiet moments :B
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Here is all three of them togther at the rally in Rutherfordton, NC at Four Paws Campground. It was l05* that day.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

And here's Suzie

Wife Sue

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
Levi is missed by many, he was a true gentle soul and I will see him, and many others, later when we all cross "The Bridge"
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
I still find it amazing with just a little love how Old Fella turned around & how great he looks.

Were is a picture of Suzie?
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

We sure do miss you.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

This was Fella's very first camping trip with us in October 2005. Notice Levi he was always happy.

Wife Sue