cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,272 REPLIES 32,272

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps a heating pad off and on during the day. Fella is always in my prayers
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

bonniesoo
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, Have you tried some moist heat...that might help some of the pain in his leg...like a really warm towel out of the dryer or moist with hot water...you also might cover his with a warm blanket when he is sleeping ...warmth is good for sore joints IMO. Boy I hate to hear of Old Fella having so much trouble...hopefully he will have a better day tomorrow...he will be in my prayers tonight.
Kim & Donna Hale
2009 Monaco Camelot
2016 Ford Explorer

Suki & Mayla- 2 spoiled pekingese
Our precious Mika ( at the Rainbow Bridge)
Hook'em Horns

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tonight is the worse night for Fella. He is in terrible pain in his front leg or shoulder, it's hard to tell where the pain is. He has been crying off and on tonight when ever he tries to stand or move, the pills aren't helping him. Right now he is asleep as I gave him and extra pill to see if it would help. The dose is two pills twice a day 12 hours apart. I gave him two at 5 PM and another at 9 PM. I am having a hard time watching him in so much pain.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suzie and Levi last summer. They both enjoyed the water.

Wife Sue

woodstick
Explorer
Explorer
joelbaker wrote:
Rest assured, Richard. You have given Old Fella three years that provided him with a lifetime of love. He has given new life to many, many animals who may not have been rescued if not for him. One way or another, you both can take comfort in those accomplishments.

So true! Take care, God Bless you and Sue for all you have done and continue to do!
Woodstick and Queen of the North
Woody and Patsy and our Furkids-Oreo, a black lab and Cookie, mix of Shihtzu, Bichon, Lhasa Apso
38' Sportsmen Sportster Toy Hauler
Pulled by 2003 3500 Dodge Diesel 6 speed
Rolling Castle Blog
Patsy does all the posting.

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Rest assured, Richard. You have given Old Fella three years that provided him with a lifetime of love. He has given new life to many, many animals who may not have been rescued if not for him. One way or another, you both can take comfort in those accomplishments.
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž
Rallies Attended: 8;Gatherings Attended: 3

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem we are having with Fella is he cannot support himself on either end. His rear legs are weak and his front legs are weak. We have a support harness that we use with him but he has to be able to support himself on one end or the other.

When I lift his rear, his right front leg folds. When I lift his front, his right rear leg folds. With the pain pills he is able to support himself but still has a difficult time walking and climbing steps. The pain pills are helping, but he is still having a difficult time getting about. I guess as long as the pain pills work, even with limited mobility he can get along.

Our neighbor from across the street said we could use their swimming pool to give Fella some exercise but suggested that we wait for the water to warm up as it is very cold right now.

Arthritis is a terrible thing and it only gets worse. The only thing I know to do is keep him comfortable and happy. Yesterday he wanted to go for a walk so bad, he followed me through out the house waiting for me to say lest's go. Finally I took him for a very short walk, only two house down and back. That satisfied him and he was happy the rest of the day. Sue and I spent time in the back yard with he and Suzie enjoying the sunshine and warm weather with our fur kids realizing that time is getting short for Fella and we may not have the opportunity to do this this time next year.

I do hope the rally in Branson has a good turn out for Fella as it could be his last one. At 13 years old {13 is is everybody's guess}he has lived a long time. I believe these last three years have been good years for him. He has had a great life with all the love and support any dog could ever dream of.

Okay I have to go for now. Talk with you later.

Wife Sue

searchnk9
Explorer
Explorer
Richard,

Some mobility assistance, if your interested. We have a GSD with Degenerative Myelopathy and are currently using a harness to assist him as needed. We will probably go the wheels route when the time comes. One day at a time.

Handicap Pets

Another assistance harness

Wheelchairs

You can often find folks who are selling used chairs.
Beth and the GSD girls
Jannu SAR Dog CD RE MXP MJP CGC TC
Chandi SAR Dog CD RE NA NAP CGC TC
Grian having fun being a puppy
Tashi SAR Dog waiting at the bridge

Ambow
Explorer
Explorer
I am so pleased to see some folks have taken up the suggestion and are clicking everyday to help feed animals in shelters.
As for the invite to Branson...How nice .
Unfortunately my special person is recovering from a valve job, which makes us pretty much home bound for a while.
If he can get 3 months of no prescription changes we can once again get him Travel Health Insurance so we can leave the security of Canada and our Health Care System.

I will continue to follow the story of that special "Old Fella" .
Ringo

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Richard....I suspect you are going to be a great representative for your district. Can we vote online for you? *grin*

I wish you could, it might take that to win!

Old Fella is still having trouble but he is managing to get up and get around on his own, but you can tell he is in pain. He came to me after church and reminded me we hadn't been for our walk. He really wants to go so bad. Sue and I went to the back yard and sat out with him and Suzie for a while and he seems to be happy at this moment, so I will let sleeping dogs alone.

Wife Sue

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
I think the idea of using the inmates to staff and run the shelter is an excellent idea. This is a perfect opportunity for the county to save some money, for these people to be doing something constructive for the county and it will help them to build some much needed self esteem. Possibly even learn some new job skills in the process. The animals will benefit from the extra care and the inmates will have an opportunity to do something productive. This could end up being a model for other counties and cities to follow.

No one gains from an inmate just sitting and vegetating in a jail cell. Everyone gains when they can be put to work productively and working with animals is something that most will like and do well at. A total win-win situation.

Richard....I suspect you are going to be a great representative for your district. Can we vote online for you? *grin*
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
We all know that Old Fella won't live forever in the physical sense, but we have to feel good about all the good that he has done. Hopefully today will be a better day for him....
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
RIchard Perhaps you could take Fella swimming The exercise would be good in the weightless water..i used to take my paraplegis swimming and altho he couldnt paddle with his back feet I was at his side constantly and he would enjoy his swim while i held up his back end,
Dont give up on Fella, you attitude will pass on to him. I know you will pamper him keep him happy
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shields wrote:
Dixie Flyer,

Have you considered a supplement to help with Fella's joints? I can't remember what I have read about that. There is a supplement called Cosequin. We have found this to be of great benefit.

Just a thought.

Gs

He has been on that for over a year now. Dr. Brown says the problem is his age. He is wearing out and she says there is nothing that can be done except make him comfortable as best we can. In his heart he still wants to go and be active, but his body is saying no. It is so sad.

Wife Sue

Shields
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer,

Have you considered a supplement to help with Fella's joints? I can't remember what I have read about that. There is a supplement called Cosequin. We have found this to be of great benefit.

Just a thought.

Gs
Corky (02/08/05-03/23/09) & Pepper