cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,272 REPLIES 32,272

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Der Old Fella, I hope U get 2 feeling better so I kan see U again. I miss seeing U and Daddy Richard and that crazy sister of mine. Plez get better.
I Luv U
Anna

PS- We are now a sticky on the Branson Rally!!
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just left Fella at the vet and will wait for news from the X-Ray. Dr. Ford told me about an hour, that was about 1:45 PM.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

W7SFO
Explorer
Explorer
I sure hope Fella has some more time left in him. But if not, God will give you the strength to do what is best for him. Gods speed, Richard, Sue & Old Fella!
Ryan,
Spanaway WA.
2001 Sunnybrook
See me on Facebook!
Enjoying camping every chance I get.
Enjoy meeting other folks in the area to camp with.

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Was gone on a trip to AR and just got back on to find that Old Fella is having much pain. I am so sorry that he is so uncomfortable. he is so stoic you know he really hurts. I am praying that you will be able to do whatever is necessary to relieve his pain.
Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Ambow
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie flyer...I am going to say what no on else is saying , but I am sure some are thinking.
It is OKAY to let Old Fella go to heaven with a little help from a friend.

Many times it is the most humane thing we can do for something we love.
This old dog will live in many hearts forever.

I think the hope is for him to go to the rally so many of his friends can meet him.
Whether in flesh or pictures, he will be there.

God bless you
Ringo

John_Snow
Explorer
Explorer
Old Fellow has been an inspiration for all who lurk here.

John Snow

campingchris
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping that Old Fellow is feeling better soon.
Chris & Bill
2 kids & 2 campin' dogs Oreo(Border)(now at the Rainbow Bridge Campground) & Sandy(Border/Spitz) :C
05 King of the Road Royal Villa 34FRBR 5th wheel
04 Chev. Silverado 3500LT Duramax Diesel,Dually, V8 Allison 5 SPD

woodstick
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear that Old Fellow is having such a bad time. Seeing him in pain is almost worse than having a child in pain, at least your child can talk about where and now much it hurts. Prayers for all of you, hope the Doc can help Old Fellow out.
Woodstick and Queen of the North
Woody and Patsy and our Furkids-Oreo, a black lab and Cookie, mix of Shihtzu, Bichon, Lhasa Apso
38' Sportsmen Sportster Toy Hauler
Pulled by 2003 3500 Dodge Diesel 6 speed
Rolling Castle Blog
Patsy does all the posting.

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Come on Old Fella get better. Your cousin Lola a/k/a Sadie is rooting for you.

Prayers from Missouri that Old Fella's pain can be helped.

Shirley
Ron & Shirley
2005 Itasca 37B Suncruiser W24 Workhorse Chassis
To Discover New Oceans We Must Lose Sight Of The Shore

CindyNRoger
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, please give Fella a hug and kiss from Aunt Cindy. He has always been and will always be in my prayers!

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
C,mon, Old Fella. We're rooting for you!
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž
Rallies Attended: 8;Gatherings Attended: 3

searchnk9
Explorer
Explorer
Best wishes on his vet visit. I hope you find a solution to his pain.

Another option to go with allopathic veterinary care is acupuncture. It has made big differences in my old arthritic dogs and my working dogs. I checked the site where my vet was trained, and while I didn't find anyone in Augusta. I did find a listing in Washington, definitely much closer than Atlanta where we have tons. Here is the listing if your interested.

Stan Brown, DVM, CVA
TCVM Certified Veterinary Acupuncturist
Washington, GA 30673, USA
Tele: (706)678-5611
Fax: (706)678-5611

Also the reason I sent the handicapped pet links etc. was there are a couple of options to support both front and rear.

Goodluck to you and fella,
Beth and the GSD girls
Jannu SAR Dog CD RE MXP MJP CGC TC
Chandi SAR Dog CD RE NA NAP CGC TC
Grian having fun being a puppy
Tashi SAR Dog waiting at the bridge

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Hate to see him in pain in last days I mean years. Keep us up to date. Thoughts and prayers.

Becky
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

bonniesoo
Explorer
Explorer
Come on Old Fella....we are all pulling for you.....we know you can pull thorough this one too....
Kim & Donna Hale
2009 Monaco Camelot
2016 Ford Explorer

Suki & Mayla- 2 spoiled pekingese
Our precious Mika ( at the Rainbow Bridge)
Hook'em Horns

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fella is not any better this morning. I am going to take him back to see the Dr. Ford. I am going have her take an X-Ray of the shoulder and leg to see if something is going on that has been overlooked.

Wife Sue