cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,272 REPLIES 32,272

bonniesoo
Explorer
Explorer
Richard....how's he doing this afternoon???
Kim & Donna Hale
2009 Monaco Camelot
2016 Ford Explorer

Suki & Mayla- 2 spoiled pekingese
Our precious Mika ( at the Rainbow Bridge)
Hook'em Horns

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
pjb2rlb wrote:
Yes - just past Furman take the Highway 276 veer off to the left - at the BP turn left, then right at the stop sign - her office is about 1/2 mile to 1 mile down on the left.

Thanks

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

pjb2rlb
Explorer
Explorer
Yes - just past Furman take the Highway 276 veer off to the left - at the BP turn left, then right at the stop sign - her office is about 1/2 mile to 1 mile down on the left.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
pjb2rlb wrote:
Richard - if you are still interested in finding a acupuncture vet there is one in Travelers Rest - she has treated my boxer. The name of the clinic is All About Pets - Dr. Jeanne Fowler - and her number is (864) 834-7334.

That is in the Greenville, SC area isn't it? Thanks, I will check on her.

Wife Sue

pjb2rlb
Explorer
Explorer
Richard - if you are still interested in finding a acupuncture vet there is one in Travelers Rest - she has treated my boxer. The name of the clinic is All About Pets - Dr. Jeanne Fowler - and her number is (864) 834-7334.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
joang wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
If I could find his secret I could sell it to the Cattlemen's Association and make a bundle.

I am sure the secret is living through cold winters on a couple of bread crusts, scraps from peoples trash and some lake water! His metabolism is very efficient!

I believe you have hit the nail on the head!

Wife Sue

joang
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
If I could find his secret I could sell it to the Cattlemen's Association and make a bundle.

I am sure the secret is living through cold winters on a couple of bread crusts, scraps from peoples trash and some lake water! His metabolism is very efficient!

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Old Fella must have some Lab in him. It is really hard to keep weight off of a Lab. They balloon up with the slightest increase in feed. I have Koko on carrot only treats, but we changed the food to Wellness Fish and Potato and she is gaining some weight, so we have to reduce the food amount.

Doggy Liposuction??? ๐Ÿ™‚

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Ambow
Explorer
Explorer
Such good news that the old fella still wants to get up and go.

If some of the extra weight comes off his mobility will improve and then who knows how he might be.
Ringo

campingchris
Explorer
Explorer
I am so glad to hear Fella is doing better. I will continue to keep him and you in my prayers. As others said I was really scared to read the posts this morning. I think all the praying (and the medicine) may have helped Old Fella, his is one tough dog. I really would love to attend the rally in June to meet Fella and all the great people on this thread, but with School not being done yet and other vacation plans already set it won't be possible.
Chris & Bill
2 kids & 2 campin' dogs Oreo(Border)(now at the Rainbow Bridge Campground) & Sandy(Border/Spitz) :C
05 King of the Road Royal Villa 34FRBR 5th wheel
04 Chev. Silverado 3500LT Duramax Diesel,Dually, V8 Allison 5 SPD

vickiebec
Explorer
Explorer
I was having a panic attack getting on the computer and I'm so releived. Socks and I love you Fella.
Vickie Wallis
Roseville, CA
2010 Mini Cooper Convertable

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear Old Fella is up on his feet of his own will. Probably without being able to do much exercise is the reason the weight isn't coming off as quickly. The struggles one must go through to slim down. Now if he had Suzie energy and ability to move it would already be off. Just glad he is up. Take one day at a time at this point.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Great news Richard. I hated to check in this morning to see how he was. It's a wonder that a dog 100's of miles away can affect one so much. Prayers will continue for Old Fella.
E.Texan

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Fella is down to 1/2 of WD Science diet dry food a day. He has been on that for about three weeks and the weight just doesn't seem to come off of him. He gets no treats so I expect to see some change sometime soon....

Good! ๐Ÿ™‚

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

woodstick
Explorer
Explorer
Fabulous news Richard, Old Fella has an amazing will to live, which probably is how he survived the years on his own in the campground. When I read your post with the pic of Old Fella that you thought would be the last pic, it brought tears to my eyes and I can only imagine how you and Sue were feeling at that time. Praying that he will continue to show improvement.
Woodstick and Queen of the North
Woody and Patsy and our Furkids-Oreo, a black lab and Cookie, mix of Shihtzu, Bichon, Lhasa Apso
38' Sportsmen Sportster Toy Hauler
Pulled by 2003 3500 Dodge Diesel 6 speed
Rolling Castle Blog
Patsy does all the posting.