cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,272 REPLIES 32,272

karen_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Birthday to a very special animal rescuer. May God bless you on this day
and guide you as you help more animals. Hugs.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the birthday wishes. I am so blessed to have such a loving family. The dog that Kodi Bear describes at Hunting Island sounds like the Old Fella story doesn't it? Maybe a trip to Hunting Island is in order?

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Birthday Richard
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Kodi_Bear
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks, My wife and I were camping at Hunting Island State Park in SC last week. When walking the beach we saw this what may be a border collie just sitting on the beach watching people go by. We tried to approach him but he just ran off. My wife got some of our dog food to try to feed him, he came close enough to eat. We talked to the rangers and found out that they have been trying to catch him for 6 months. The story was that an older couple was seen letting 5 dogs out of their car near the camp ground and drove off. The rangers were able to catch four of the dogs, but this one has eluded them. My wife took upon herself to try to catch him. She tried for the next two days, but he was very clever, very smart dog. She was able to get close enough to him to even pet him, but to get a leash on him was impossible. He would even come over to my wife and lay down near her. We watched him play with other dogs that were friendly to him, but he would run from aggressive dogs. He would also check out people as they walked the beach. We found laying on the beach each morning. We're guessing he's looking for his owners. We really feel bad for him, we're hoping that someone can catch him so that he can find a deserving home. He was really a nice dog. He even took food from my hand but he was much more weary of me.

Just a heads up for those going to Hunting Island, look for this old boy. Please feed him and get him some fresh water if you can.

Hi Everyone, We heard good news about the Hunting Island Beach Boy. He was captured recently and has a new home with a family that adopted him. We don't know any other details, but we are really happy he now has a good home. Thanks to everyone that responded with suggestions. If he was still at large, we were planning on returning to see if we could get him.

det62
Explorer
Explorer
1994 Georgie Boy Pursuit 32 foot Class A

Debbie (owner, pilot and navigator):B
Steve (campfire starter):Z
Matthew - age 17 Got Fish ?? :@
Rebecca - age 16 Got Wi-fi ?? :h

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Richard
May you have a blessed day on your birthday , there are so many of us and so many critters that are thankful that you were born.
My birthday wishes for you are Health, Happiness and lots of Hairy friends
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Birthday, Richard! I am 69--it's not bad. ๐Ÿ™‚

If I could pick one person to add to the 5 or 6 I have met here on the Forum, it would be you. I'm sure many, many others feel the same way.

Barbara

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terrydactile wrote:
Happy birthday, Richard!!!!

Thank you, I turn 69 tomorrow.

Wife Sue

Terrydactile
Explorer
Explorer
Happy birthday, Richard!!!!
Scott & Theresa Boyd
2 Daughters (Cassie & Brittany)
1 Furkid (Ella, a Basset Golden mix)
2008 Keystone Passport 280BH
2013 F 150 Supercrew EcoBoost XLT

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
tnsauerkraut wrote:
I love how Old Fella is looking out on the field and watching the kids at play...

Children were always his favorite people. When he was living in the campground as a stray, it was the children that he longed to be with.

Wife Sue

tnsauerkraut
Explorer
Explorer
I love how Old Fella is looking out on the field and watching the kids at play...

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Pictures of bricks

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/Dixieflyer2/My%20Photos/091209103018-1.jpg

Here are some of the bricks

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dixie Flyer wrote:

There it is!!

Here is the other view

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Here it is, the finished Memorial walk way.

Dernhelm wanted to see the Memorial walkway

Wife Sue

Buzz-ette
Explorer
Explorer
God will bless you, Richard. Even if you didn't personally drop off that older woman's dog, you certainly made it happen.

I'm so happy that Obie is doing well. Want to bring him to Oregon on your vacation? Please give him a hug from us.
1980 Dodge Xplorer
Pixie Honeybun (Rat Terrier) and Itsa (kitty)