cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,272 REPLIES 32,272

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
amazing story and God Bless those people.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simply amazing...

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
This is really neat. Note how exceptionally clean everything is.

22 dogs in one house!!!!!

A chance for Bliss
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
ETexan wrote:
Depends on what town you live in in Texas. I live in a town that still requires a yearly shot.

In El Paso, the actual shot is required every 3 years...but you get a new tag from the vet each year.

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I know, I was there. I had 2 tickets and no one wanted to go with me and I couldn't sell the tickets online. Oh well, their loss. So I had an extra seat next to me and I let a pair of Steeler fans from Arkansas use it for their coats. My good deed for the day :B
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Dixie Flyer wrote:
By the way, Gary the Broncos made a statement yesterday.

Yaaaaaay! :B
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. We have had lots of rain in the past few days. This morning starting about five we had a very hard down pour for about an hour. The girls wanted to go outside early but soon changed their mind when they saw it was raining. Izzie ran past me to get out but soon changed his mind also.

I don't have much to do today so I guess I will just take it easy, nothing new for me... In the back ground the television is bringing back the fifties and what was going on in America during that period. That was a good time to be growing up, the best of times I think.

I remember how much hunting dogs were a part of our lives back then. Hunting Quail, or Bob Whites as they were sometimes called was a popular sport. I remember my Dad and I hunting on the farm and enjoying watching the dogs work and do their thing. He was big on English Pointers and Setters. I broke the family tradition with a Brittney Spaniel. He was the best bird dog I ever had. He was so much fun to hunt with and he was also the family pet as well. This was a first for me as the other hunting dogs I had were just working dogs and not consider pets. I wish I had been able to preserve that part of my life for my children, but as I grew in age other priorities took the place of the sport I loved so much. Robin, my oldest daughter remembers some of the adventures of hunting that I included her in and recalls the excitement of watching the dogs work the fields.

Okay, enough of reminiscing about the past and time to get ready to face the day. By the way, Gary the Broncos made a statement yesterday.

Wife Sue

ETexan
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what town you live in in Texas. I live in a town that still requires a yearly shot.

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Many vets, including my own, now want to see older dogs twice a year, Personally, I don't see the necessity for a dog that's 7 or 8, unless there are specific concerns, but a 12-year-old can get so many issues so suddenly, it's not a bad idea.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
They really aren't supposed to be getting "yearly shots" any longer, unless you live in one of the backward states that require rabies every year. The other vaccines are at three year intervals now except bordatella, and you don't board them so you really don't need that. However, if they are on meds (heartworm, pain) they will have to have an exam once a year and for pain meds, blood tests are appropriate. Dogs can be on heartworm meds and still manage to get heartworms, so there is some reason for testing annually on that. A good exam is also a good idea, including a discussion of how much each one weighs and should weigh, and a look at their teeth and eyes and what their heart sounds like, so you know what's going on as they age.

Remember that dogs age at about five times the rate that people do, so an "annual" exam is like having one every five years. It really isn't a lot.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. This morning I fixed breakfast for the wife, I should do this more often. The girls were dumb founded as they watched me stir about at the stove preparing French toast with all the trimings. They got a share after it was done and now resting waiting for me to take them for a walk.

Saturday morning I have a date with the twin daughters, Ava and Allison to see the movie "We Bought a Zoo." I enjoy it when we can get together just the two of us and do something. Sue and I spent last night taking down Christmas decorations, there is much more to do. The tree is going to be a little tough on us getting it out the door and into the back yard as it weighs a ton. Once in the yard I can hook it up to the lawn mower and drag it to the trash pile and later when it is good and dried out burn it, seems like such a waste. It was a beautiful tree, perhaps the best one we have ever had. Now it has become trash to be discarded.

I went to our vet yesterday to inquire about getting the fur gang their yearly shots, I was shocked! At first they wanted $225.00 each. This included a blood test for heart worms and other test to insure they were in good health before giving the shots. When I balked they lowered the price to $122.00 for Mama and Peaches and $107.00 each for Suzie and Hobo. It seems the ones over seven years old get different treatment than those under seven. I called Dr. Ford's office in Waynesboro and they quoted me a price of $65.00 each which included all of their health shots and rabies shot. I will be taking them to Waynesboro next month when we go for Robin's wedding.

The rally is set for next June for those who are interested and it seems like a nice campground. Hope to see many of you there when the time comes.

Wife Sue

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
Code2High wrote:
Losing weight is easy for dogs! I wish I was a dog. Someone would substitute green beans for part of my meal every day and next thing you know I'd be melting away like butter....

Code2High, thanks for tip on the green beans. My Cookie actually looks better and I can see her getting a "waist" again. I can feel her ribs a lot better then before. When I find a scale I'll weigh her. Both of my "kids" love the green beans and there is no longer any food left in the dishes. They're getting the beans and their Blue Buffalo Chicken & Brown rice mixed in the morning and evening.

You're quite welcome and that is awesome news! I hardly see my Tink any more, she's always wrapped up in her coat since it's cold. But when I do she is quite trim... and very happy with her diet, as well.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a great time at the beach.

Sue read some in the afternoons.

But mostly we enjoyed walking on the beach

The Light House Trail was fun.

There was a nice shelter to rest.

On the way back Suzie found a little crab that had some nice pinchers attached to it.

We had a nice campsite right on the beach but sheltered by tress.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
Any one know what became of Cocker Dodger = Chuck Miller of San Diego CA?

I have tried to locate him now for about two years without any success. He was in poor health back in June 2006, don't know what happened after that.

We got home yesterday in the afternoon. The girls was glad to get home and wanted out of the truck before it stopped rolling. We had a great stay with the weather being very nice until Tuesday when it turned cold and windy. I will post some pictures later today of the girls on the beach. The camper continues to do well without any problems at all. I guess I will winterize it now as we don't have any plans to go anywhere until April.

I hope the New Year is going well for everyone. So far we are enjoying every day of it.

Wife Sue

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Code2High wrote:
Losing weight is easy for dogs! I wish I was a dog. Someone would substitute green beans for part of my meal every day and next thing you know I'd be melting away like butter....

Code2High, thanks for tip on the green beans. My Cookie actually looks better and I can see her getting a "waist" again. I can feel her ribs a lot better then before. When I find a scale I'll weigh her. Both of my "kids" love the green beans and there is no longer any food left in the dishes. They're getting the beans and their Blue Buffalo Chicken & Brown rice mixed in the morning and evening.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am