cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

26 through Portland

Don_and_Eileen
Explorer
Explorer
We've read the pros and cons of using 26 traveling west to east, but can't find any information about the hazardous materials restrictions as you approach the Portland area. We're wondering about RVs since we're carrying propane.
We were in the area recently when we noticed a sign. Our destination was an earlier exit, so we weren't able to take notice of other RV's going through that area.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Don and Eileen
5 REPLIES 5

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:

But yet they allow them over Cornelius Pass Road. Can't fix stupid.

Tunnels have HazMat restrictions because fires are especially hazardous in tunnels, and hard to fight. It's not that crashes are anymore likely.

https wrote:
Trucks hauling
hazardous materials should use the safest
available highway routes. Safe routes are
those where accidents are less likely to
occur, and where the consequences will be
less severe if accidents occur.

Some tunnels have fire suppression systems, and may allow HazMat loads, though that's still determined at a local level. Apparently there's some debate whether the systems in the I70 tunnels west of Denver are enough. Fire damage, even if suppressed relatively quickly, could be as disruptive as the recent landslides.

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Commercial trucks transporting Hazardous Materials (Propane) have travel restrictions through Vista Ridge Tunnel on Hwy 26 (Portland-Tigard).

But passenger vehicles and RV's are permitted to transport LP tanks.

BTW, Cornelius Pass Road is an alternate route to Portland without a single tunnel. It is a tight, winding road with 15 mph curves and was closed much of last summer due road maintenance. IMO, nothing for stupid to "fix".
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Generally speaking they don't want an vehicles with amounts of HazMat that require placards. I used to work for an LTL company and their rule was any Hazmat on board not to use tunnel.

You will be okay.

But yet they allow them over Cornelius Pass Road. Can't fix stupid.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Generally speaking they don't want an vehicles with amounts of HazMat that require placards. I used to work for an LTL company and their rule was any Hazmat on board not to use tunnel.

You will be okay.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
US 26 is good to go with RVs with propane. They don't want the gig tankers going through the tunnel going up canyon west of Portland.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker