cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

36 West from Hannibal, MO & RMNP

Whaler
Explorer
Explorer
Been many years since I was on 36 west, at the time I found it annoying due to the seams in roadway. No reason to think it is better but needing to go west again so was wondering if anybody has a comment about the current conditions.
May stop at RMNP on return from Washington. Interested in any pointers concerning roads to avoid/or must see, rv parks or POIs.
7 REPLIES 7

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
I've traveled 36 many times. Great highway to cross both Mo & Ks on. Currently there is some construction about 5 miles west of I-35. No slow downs but it's there.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing I forgot to mention before, a great place to stop and stretch a bit, and see a unique site:

The geographical center of the contiguous USA is located off US 36, northwest of Lebanon KS. Well marked signage off US 281. Small park there, some signs/markers, a small chapel, shady area to rest and walk the fur friend(s) if so inclined. In the distance on a ridge to the west, one can see an old abandoned motel, apparently the brainchild of someone who thought this would become a major tourist attraction. It didn't.

H E R E is a link with some info and pics of the place.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We took US 36 from Hannibal, MO to Denver a couple of years ago. We were towing the 5th wheel, so in no hurry. It is 4-lane across MO and ok 2-lane across KS. Lots of ups and downs in western KS, but no long grades. We spent a night at a vacant lot with FHUs across US 281 from the football stadium in Norton, KS. Cheap and "the best restaurant in town" was across a side street from the "RV park". One of the strangest places we've stayed in so far!

See my blog at https://2fanrgs.blogspot.com for route, campsite, and not-to-miss sightseeing suggestions in Colorado.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have said, the road is fine. I don't recall any issues with the seams/expansion strips being a problem.

Rather than taking US 36 all the way to I-70 outside of Denver, consider taking KS 27 north from US 36 just outside of St. Francis KS. That will take you up to US 34, which you can take all the way west to Estes Park.

HOWEVER...you don't say WHEN you plan to do this. The suggestion above will work only after Memorial Day weekend, for the entire way up to RMNP. US 34 is currently closed for construction in the Big Thompson Canyon west of Loveland and is scheduled to reopen for the Memorial Day weekend. IF you're planning for before Memorial Day, you can still take US 34 all the way to Loveland, then head south on US 287 toward Longmont, and at the north edge of Longmont, take CO 66 west and then take US 36 up to Rocky. With this route you avoid the Denver mess and having to go through Boulder at all.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
brooks379 wrote:
Pretty good road..... some 4 lane some 2 lane in MO all 2 lane across Kansas and Colorado but not much traffic. Nice easy ride !!

Sums it up pretty well - it is and has been my preferred route the last 30-35 times we have made the drive.

Son lives in Colorado and we visit often 10 years ago felt like we were commuting. We have tried all of the other options and this has less Traffic - Good Roads and is much less boring, Having recommended this often, have yet to have anyone not enjoy it.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty good road..... some 4 lane some 2 lane in MO all 2 lane across Kansas and Colorado but not much traffic. Nice easy ride !!

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what it is like past St. Joseph but it is or preferred route across Missouri, much more enjoyable than I-70.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams