cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

89A Flagstaff to Sedona...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a nice ride from our home In Payson up 87 to Lake Mary Road and on into Flagstaff. After lunch at our favorite burger joint we headed down 89A through Oak Creek Canyon and on through Sedona. The length limits have changed quite a bit over the last few years so here is the latest update: Vehicles are now limited to 40' max and yes boys and girls the local LEO's do enforce it.

I did however see a triple axle fiver pulled by nice dually {who somehow slipped through} but I assume it is {and should be} a pricey ticket so you takes your chances and might just have to pay some money...:S Traffic was bumper to bumper all the way to and through Sedona but the ride is so spectacular it is hard to care.

For the record we were not in our coach but enjoying my new {motorcycle replacement} 87 Vette:

Life is good.

:B
7 REPLIES 7

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
I remember driving that route in a car and thinking "I would hate to have to drive this while towing".
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember taking 89A with a truck + fifth wheel combination... we were over 50' and it was a bit snug in some of the corners.

40' rules out most buses... and it's a fairly long detour without a good place to turn around.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Freddy's. The one in Las Cruces is 7 min from home.
Turret Class traveler

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Signs at both ends say “No Vehicles over 40’”.
Pretty hard to tell a LEO you didn’t know.

Just sayin…

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
Forty feet is relatively short. I wonder if it applies to local semi deliveries?
RVing since 1995.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two to recommend. "Altitudes " in Flagstaff at: 2 South Beaver St is a sit down, very fun burger bar and grill with awesome food. The other is our favorite burger fast food: Freddy's Steakburger at 2675 South Beulah Blvd again, in Flagstaff.

They are 95 miles from our home in Payson and it is all fun mountain roads from 87 up to Lake Mary Road that takes you right on in to Flagstaff. There is ongoing repaving {that is badly needed} on 87 a few miles south of the lake Mary turnoff. We waited 15 minutes the first time and only 5 the second and then it wa smountain twisties at 7,000+' at its finest. Quite a ride and gorgeous with the fall colors jumping right out you.

Ya gotta love living {or visiting} central Arizona but know that winter is on its way and reportedly is going to be a seriously snowy event...we'll see.

:h

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds awesome. Important question-what is the name of the burger joint? We are headed out there soon.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]