cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Few Tips About Scorpion Stings

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some hard-earned tips about scorpion stings. The technical parts I have confirmed with Sector Salud -- 1st tier IMSS hospital toxicology expert Hermosillo Son.

• I have been sting multiple times by the Arizona Bark Scorpion -- one of the most "respected" scorpions and envenomations in Mexico (I am no cherry)
  • RELAX the minimum time necessary to affect allergic reaction is 15-20 minutes and the median time to negative reaction is 45-minutes
  • Folks who are allergic to bee stings should carry an epinephrine kit day and night
  • Small children under 10Kg will suffer the greatest concentration of venom and a sting should always be monitored by a physician as quickly as is safe to get to one
  • Some folks experience different intensities of symptoms - an "OW! Dammit!" to one person might be agony to another
  • Excessive salivation and uncontrolled eye movement in children is a danger signal - Get To A Doctor!
  • Antivenom only treats allergic symptoms!
  • Antivenom does 0% for pain
  • IV antihistamine in a clinic is used to control both mild allergic reaction and pain
  • Local anesthetic LIDOCAINE is used to control pain - it is NOT an option at IMSS or Seguro Popular clinics
  • Lidocaine is administered by private physicians and can range in price from 500 to 1000 pesos as it is a tightly controlled COFEPRIS schedule 1 medication -- lots of paperwork
  • There are hundreds of species of alacranes in Mexico and only a few extremely isolated varieties in Durango and Chihuahua are considered dangerous to a healthy adult
  • Scorpions can instantly custom-mix a sting for prey, a warning, or all-out self-defense
  • When feeling endangered a scorpion can jab three or four times in a couple of seconds
  • Squashing a foot into a shoe containing a scorpion or stepping on one in bare feet can bring forth the ultimate defensive response
  • Topical anesthetics like Solarcaine do little to treat pain
  • Ibuprofen or Paracetamol is more effective
  • Expect side effects for 2-3 days after
  • Tingling, shock-like effects are common
  • Hens are roosters seemingly will walk a mile to feast on a scorpion so keep it in mind if you find a chicken snooping around
  • NOTHING can compare to the sting of a Tarantula Hawk (World's Record greatest insect sting pain)
  • Dampness and dark hiding places are favorite scorpion haunts
  • Bathroom damp towels and shower curtains

I seemingly live in scorpion heaven Michoacan. Dark brown critters with long skinny tails. Average sting potency
  • Emerge at night to hunt
  • Insecticide is extremely slow acting
  • I dosed one fellow on my concrete floor with trichlorethylene an extremely lethal solvent that kills insects instantaneously. The dripping scorpion dragged itself over ten feet before expiring. The most effective remedy is to meticulously inspect potential entry ingress to structures then block them. Use door sweeps and felt pads to trim door openings, and spray insulation foam to close in sloppy window fits and ELECTRICAL OUTLET covers that don't quite cover holes. Ask management before doing stuff like this to campground showers and storage areas.
8 REPLIES 8

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
If a scorpion gets you, and you're bound for a clinic, they usually will want to see the scorpion that got you. Different varieties of scorpions may be in the area, and it seems like which one it is may dictate how they treat you.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Tarantula Hawks like to rest in hidden places. Touch one accidentally to your great regret. Never had one act aggressive toward me. Nor a "beezard" carpenter bee (huge black bee).

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
No animal will ever attack unless it is hungry and you are food or is cornered and is now in a defensive attitude, tarantulas are cool calm and collected most of the time, you can pick them up with you hand as long as your hand is palm up and you let her crawl on, it will not bother you unless you try to pick it up, then it thinks you are a predator after it, you are coming from above and that elicits an immediate defensive response.

Scorpions are the same you can let them crawl up on your hand, they tickle a little thou, so you need to be still.

navegator

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I'm just guessing that Mexican tarantula hawks are more aggressive than the ones I see from time to time here in Virginia. I've never had one of them attack me.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Scorpions are easy to avoid, they scurry along on the floor and try to hide from danger it is only when cornered that they lift the tail ready to strike at what ever is in front and some time side ways.

The tarantulas on the other hand are different, they also scurry along on the floor, except that when thy get scared the fine hairs on the back are let loose, since most animals need to smell what it is those fine hairs will be vacuumed by the nose and drift in and also get in the eyes and mouth.

Those fine hairs are the most irritating, nose , eyes and mouth will itch for a long time it is worst than getting fiber glass on your skin (angel Hair) that some people decorate the Christmas trees with.

Scorpions are easy to get out of the house, no they will not wander in the RV, a broom is all you need to swish them out the door, a tarantula on the other hand needs some fines, figure out what direction she is going and place a box open on one side about a foot in front and wait until she crawls in, gently lift the box and take it out side, keep the box to the side and slightly behind in case she releases the hairs, do not shake or tilt at all.

If you are brave enough you can place your hand on the floor palm up and let her crawl on it and then take her out side, you might have to let her crawl from hand to hand, some are pretty fast, I had one as a pet that was bigger than my dads hand.

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The Tarantula Hawk is the one that needs lots of caution. It's sting will put most people on their knees

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
NEVER, NEVER put on shoes in the morning before picking the shoe and taping the heel part real hard to dislodge the scorpion or spider "tarantula" from inside the shoe, then shake the critters out and do not stomp on them with your bare feet either, scorpions do not climb on glass or some tiles but they do crawl on the ceilings, do not pick rocks up by pointing the opening towards you but away from you those suckers are pretty fast when disturbed and watch kids and dogs, both do not appreciate the danger.

If you have an ultraviolet lamp and shine it on them at night they glow a neat green color.

When I was in boarding school in Sweden my dad sent me a letter with a scorpion from Durango they are known as "gueros" (blond), I opened the letter at lunch on the dinning table and out slides the dead critter and Nina Gustafson from Norway says "O" we have those in Bogota Colombia too, every one had to see the scorpion there are non in Sweden, I donated it to the biology lab after assuring them that it was dead.

There is a saying that goes like this

Poco veneno no mata, pero engorda.

A little poison does not kill, but will fatten you

And no the scorpions are not going to get in the RV, pretty darn hard
unless you purchase an item and it comes in a box and you introduce that box in the RV, they are good at hiding on the folds of the boxes, leave box out side and carry items in, they also fall from the thatched palapas and some times hide in the towels, so shake towel before you dry off, hope I did not scare you to much

navegator

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Very informative.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad