cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A good friend has an accidnt in Mexico

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
A lady I went to high school with has had a disastrous accident in Baja. She was driven off the road and destroyed her RV which is also her home and all her possessions. Her 2 cats are missing. I don't know if it is appropriate to post this here. Delete it, if not. There is a gofund me page established to try and help her out

Link
26 REPLIES 26

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. Several body shops told me the dinged up fender on my toad was not repairable and said another fender was necessary. Maybe a lot of it has to do with price and not ability?

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Mex: of course!! It was Lewis and Lewis. The policy is excellent. The problem is getting Qualitas to adhere to the policy. I will know the outcome on Tuesday. The adjusters often do not understand that a Tourist policy is not like a Mexican's policy. Both the body shop mgr. and the head bodyman- painter said that the door should be replaced. But all they do is take pictures and send a report to Qualitas. He said he would recommend a new door.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Moishe who is your Surplus Line Broker? Or is this a policy purchased and administered in Mexico?

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
WE too have Qualitas. Although the adjuster was prompt in showing up he was not up to the job. It was late in the day and I think he wanted to go home! he missed damage that made the cost of repairs almost double. He did not understand that with this policy I have the option of taking it to the USA and they pay for the repairs. Not the first time a Qualitas adjuster was hopeless. A number of years ago a Qualitas adjuster came out to Kino on the bus to assess damages on a Ford van. My neighbor was a certified Icar trainer and declared it a write off. The adjuster wanted to fix the vehicle. Tried to low ball the write off value. Then he asked for money for the return bus fare! In all fairness Mexicans think that insurance is a way to get double the value of damages or thefts. Thus the insurance companies are skeptical about losses.

Moisheh

Talleyho69
Yes, that's true, but hopefully/fortunately you are OK.

We bought a new to us vehicle today. Drove it straight home and put it in the garage until tomorrow when we'll go to Hacienda and re register it and the insurance (Qualitas) is just waiting until we send them a photo of the tarjeta de circulation. Only THEN will we drive it!

So sorry it happened to you.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Be glad your accident was in BC. On Monday I was in Hermosillo. My wife's 2001 Rav 4 needed net tires. The existing tires were 8.5 years old with 90 % tread. But in the Sonora heat old tires explode. Costco installed the tires and I was on my way to PU my wife at a Clinic. In HMO between 1 and 3 pm he traffic is horrible. It is lunch time and most workers go home or lunch. It is crazy because most of the 2 hours is spent in traffic . On my way an idiot ina Ford explorer ran into the back end of the Rav while I was stopped. 3 big yahoos in the car. No plates, no DL and no seguro. I pulled out my phone and was about to call the cops but the 4 of them were having a serious discussion. I think they were going to assault me. I put away the phone and they calmed down. WE could not exchange any info in that traffic so he agreed to follow me the few blocks to the clinic. Of course as soon as it was possible he just took off. Police and the insurance adjuster showed up. Today we went to the body shop used by most insurers. Independent shops do not accept insurance as the companies are slow to pay. Those independents do not order parts. You supply the parts! The shop used by the insurers agreed that the Rav will need a new tailgate/door. But he said that often the insurer wont pay for new. They want the shop to fix it. I am going to have a battle as the body shop agreed that fixing the door would give me bad repair! Sure not like our Government insurance in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and BC!!

Moisheh

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Tequila. Where did that accident happen? Who was the insurer and did you get good service. When I first read of your accident I was glad that you survived. I have witnessed many accidents in Mexico. Once I had to go the compound where they keep the accident vehicles. Hard to believe how so many vehicles could be destroyed beyond recognition. Often the buses are flat right to the first row of passengers. Scary!!

Moisheh

Near Kamloops, BC Canada. I know the terrain looks like Sonora, but BC does have desert. Insurer was ICBC

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila. Where did that accident happen? Who was the insurer and did you get good service. When I first read of your accident I was glad that you survived. I have witnessed many accidents in Mexico. Once I had to go the compound where they keep the accident vehicles. Hard to believe how so many vehicles could be destroyed beyond recognition. Often the buses are flat right to the first row of passengers. Scary!!

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Mexico is a place where I amplify "Defensive Driving" all the way to "Paranoid Driving". Everyone else gets the right-of-way if they show signs of "pressing it"

When I flat towed a one ton behind Quicksilver it was connected with a massive 20-ton pintle hitch and custom tow bar. If I dropped off a ledge, brakes and throttle are not an option. This is a bad bad juju situation without a good outcome.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Im not second guessing nor criticizing your reaction. I doubt I could have responded at all, other than maybe slamming brakes which could have had just as dire consequences.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Glad youโ€™re here to tell the story.
Was he grateful you didnโ€™t tail end him like I would have?

I had maybe 1.5 sends to make the decision. I would had killed him had I hit him had i veered left i my have t-boned the jeep turning left. I actually would have made it around to the right had the trailer wheel not caught the soft shoulder. I was assessed no blame.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Mexican roads have a very steep gradient from the pavement so a tire dropping down is already dangerous and trying to corret only accelerates the the probm since the low tire is going to bounce of the pavement and pull the vehicle further down the enbankment, and gravity and physics take over and roll the unit.

Going West from Las Cruzes on I-10 I saw the remains of a pull trailer that was blown of the road and rolled over, the tow vehicle was wheels up and the trailer frame attached, what was left of the trailer was scatered all over you could not tell what it was unles you know what you are looking at, as is in this photo, the cover for the air-con.

I am gladd that she seems to be OK phisically and not badlly hurt, hoppe the kittys are found soon, the most important item is she is alive the RV and some possesions can be replaced life can not be replaced.

navegator

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad youโ€™re here to tell the story.
Was he grateful you didnโ€™t tail end him like I would have?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
My own rollover with my trailer back in June created wreakage that looks much the same. RV'd and rollovers do not mix. Vanda is lucky to be alive.IB853347201 it is not a scam, people here know me and I have known vanda for years

Here is mine

Here is how it happened from my dashcam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq5rLW8WM34&fbclid=IwAR0h56rvq-3dBie3bllqIJ7YvM15z71wJqYSrVOoZnO2y9q...