cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alaska Marine Highway System (Ferr)

flybob63
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody have any experience with the Alaska Marine Highway System in an RV? We would like to do at least part of the Inside Passage on our way back in the fall. The website is pretty confusing to me. I saw a video on YouTube that suggests taking the ferry part way back; maybe from Haines to Prince Rupert to save money and still get to enjoy a big part of the voyage. We have a Dodge truck and a 26 ft fifth wheel. We would have no problem sleeping on the deck in a tent or on the chairs as long as the weather is decent. Cost is an issue as is convenience and having fun at the same time.

Any help with suggestions or how to figure prices would be welcome.

Bob W.
9 REPLIES 9

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We did this last year. We ferry hopped from Skagway to Haines to Juneau, to Sita, to Ketchikan and finally to Prince Rupert. Our total for us and our 26'B+ motorhome (rig plus the box on back) was around $1700. We planned our trip in advance using their website. I didn't find it confusing at all, but they have the best customer service of any business I have ever dealt with. Call them and ask questions. Since we knew when we would be there, we planned our itinerary to stop at various places for several days, then got back on and went to the next stop. We booked a cabin from Sita to Ketchikan (23+ hours) because my DH has a heart condition and we both have to sleep. We also booked a cabin from Ketchikan to Prince Rupert (7 hours) because it was overnight. . .9 pm to 3 a.m. Glad we did because we did get some sleep. And all the cabins have baths with showers. Ferries are very comfortable, have cafeterias and vending machines and lots of space to relax, watch movies, or view the scenery.

It does take some planning because the ships don't go to all the stops every day and different ships have different schedules.

It was one of the highlights of the trip. You will be in places that cruise ships come in, but they are in/out during the day and then you have the place to yourselves.

Like I said, the AMHS is a well oiled machine and the people are very friendly and helpful. Any time I called with a question, they answered it and all the information I got was good. WE added a leg to our trip while in Skagway and we just walked to the ferry terminal from the campground and they helped us with that and since that was our first ferry encounter explained the entire process for us so we understood how things worked.

I documented this all on my blog here:Alaska Ferries The ferry posts start on July 12, 2013,

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
When we went one year we had ample time at their scheduled stops to get off and tour for a few hours especially plenty of time at Ketchican to walk the town and check out the totems and at Juneau to take a bus to Mendanhall Glacier. You don't have to take your RV off and on. There was no extra charge except for the bus ride. The busses were parked at the ferry dock ready to go and the ferry passengers were their objective. They have it timed right so they'll get you back to the ferry in time.

Also, if you don't get a cabin you don't have to sleep outside. There are plenty of comfy lounge chairs inside out of any bad weather.

Driving up and taking the ferry are two completely different experiences. We did both in different years and are glad we did.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
We have done the Alaska State Ferry twice, both ways. If you intend to get off at various ports you need to tell them when you make reservations so they can position your rig to get you off without repositioning all of the other rigs who are not getting off at that port. Also, You will have to turn off your propane on the Ferry and your refrigeration will not function as they do not have any electrical to plug into for RVs. You should reserve as soon as possible as the RV spaces are limited depending on which Ferry you select. Great way to travel, will save you time instead of driving also less wear and tear on your rig. Enjoy your trip, it is fantastic!
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

flybob63
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info all. I went ahead and called them tonight. Seems that a basic trip for two with our R/V and no cabins is about $1,500. That's basically just a basic one shot straight through only stopping to get off at their stops and right back on again as I understand.

Taking our rig on and off at the various places and getting on a later ferry requires different scheduling options and is more expensive. Seems that it might be worth it, though.

Robbie, you're pics and advice were great, too.

Thanks all.

Bob.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We went the opposite direction in May of 2009, going from Prince Rupert to Haines. We had a 35' MH and a Jeep toad. Our Prince Rupert stop of the journal starts here on our blog. I planned the whole thing on the AMHS site and never talked to anyone. It worked out great and we consider it one of the high points of the Alaska trip.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

aces-n-eights
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, the web site is pretty confusingโ€ฆ call their number and talk with a human - you'll get a lot more info in a friendly manner!

An earlier post stated you cannot visit your pet unless the ferry was in port. This is not accurate. There are "car deck calls" 4 times a day - when underway - and you can let your pet out and walk around the car deck. Gotta clean up after them, too!

We've done the ferry several times and have really enjoyed a relaxing way to travel.
2004 Outfitter 9.5 Apex
2005 Chevrolet 2500 Ext cab, Long box, Duramax
US Army, retired, x 2

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you call the Alaska Marine Highway system at 1-800-642-0066, but I do not think there should be any problem with your RV. As for sleeping on deck, there are a lot of people doing it, so finding a spot or chair might be hard to do. You can rent a cabin. We did this in 2004 on our trip.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did the ferry from Haines to Prince Rupert in our 36'motor home and toad. We made week long stops at Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan. Only the trip between Ketchikan and Prince Rupert did we need to oveernight and we rented a small room that suited us very nicely. I highly recommend the stop overs to visit those towns that are not accessible by highway.

Don't have any concerns over getting your rig on or off the ferry.....they have some very experienced people who will guide you every inch of the way. If you have a pet, it will have to stay in the trailer and you cannot go down there until the ship docks. At that time, they will allow you to go get your pet and take it for a walk on the dock.

The ferry trip was one of our highlights of our Alaskan Venture. Highly recommend it....not cheap tho!

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
How long is your rig in total?

For 39 feet vehicle total with two people I come up with $1475 Haines to Prince Rupert.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot