cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alternate route around Adelanto, CA (Hwy US-395)?

GlennB
Explorer
Explorer
In April I will be driving my pickup from the Trona Pinnacles to San Diego. The obvious route to take is US-395. But there are all those STOP signs on 395 in the Adelanto area.
Anyone know of a good alternate?
Thanks,
Glenn
7 REPLIES 7

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Times have changed!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
idaho, you should see it now -- lots of new subdivisions in the desert.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I was in Adelanto (70's)I don't think there were any stop lights. I'm not sure there was electricity! (George AFB veteran!)

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Two years ago I had to go through Adelanto daily for about 3 weeks. The stop signs/lights are a pain but it's the fastest route. The key is to hit the area before or after the heaviest commute times.

dedmiston
profdant139 wrote:
I am eagerly following this thread -- 395 straight to the 15 used to be a great route, till they added all the lights through Adelanto. I wish there were an alternative.

But I think taking 58 from Kramer Junction out to Barstow and then back down to 395 adds a lot of miles --- would it save any time at all??

I doubt it would save much time. It depends on how fast you drive on the highway.

I guess it really depends on how much you hate stopping at lights. 58 > 15 is pretty low-stress. Plus there are good places to fuel up in Barstow. The Blue Beacon is a great place to stop and wash the RV for under $50.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am eagerly following this thread -- 395 straight to the 15 used to be a great route, till they added all the lights through Adelanto. I wish there were an alternative.

But I think taking 58 from Kramer Junction out to Barstow and then back down to 395 adds a lot of miles --- would it save any time at all??
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

dedmiston
GlennB wrote:
In April I will be driving my pickup from the Trona Pinnacles to San Diego. The obvious route to take is US-395. But there are all those STOP signs on 395 in the Adelanto area.
Anyone know of a good alternate?
Thanks,
Glenn

They've done a lot of improvements to the 58. You can turn east on 58 at Kramer junction to catch the 15 if you want to miss all the stops on 395.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230