cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to I-70 through Indiana needed

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any recommendations for alternate routes to I-70 through Indiana? We just can't take the rough ride and constant bumping any longer. We like to travel from Maryland's Eastern Shore to explore various areas out west and need to find a new route to get past Indianapolis. We love to travel on US 36 through Missouri and Kansas and would like to find an equivalent road east of the Mississippi, or any other road that won't beat us and our truck and fifth wheel to death. We don't mind going some extra distance for a calmer ride. We have taken I-40 before but don't always want to go that far south. Please let us know your favorite roads for crossing this beautiful country of ours. Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for your suggestions. We are getting out our maps and planning to incorporate your recommended routes. Looking forward to new scenery and smoother roads!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Travel glampers wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for alternate routes to I-70 through Indiana? We just can't take the rough ride and constant bumping any longer. We like to travel from Maryland's Eastern Shore to explore various areas out west and need to find a new route to get past Indianapolis. We love to travel on US 36 through Missouri and Kansas and would like to find an equivalent road east of the Mississippi, or any other road that won't beat us and our truck and fifth wheel to death. We don't mind going some extra distance for a calmer ride. We have taken I-40 before but don't always want to go that far south. Please let us know your favorite roads for crossing this beautiful country of ours. Thanks.

Depends on where west of Indy you want to go. If you want to do the US 36 thing again, here's a suggestion.

In travels to/from CO to Fort Wayne IN, I've done the US 36 route thru KS and MO, crossed into IL at Hannibal,and then took I-72 to Champaign, then I-57 up to Gilman. There I got US 24 all the way over to Fort Wayne. It's a much better drive than I-70 for sure. If you're willing to go that far north, it's a pretty drive, interesting towns along the way.

If you're coming I-70WB from eastern IN, you could take US 35 from Richmond up and around Muncie, and on to the east side of Kokomo, staying on US 35 up to Logansport where you can grab US 24 and do the above route in reverse, if you wanted to go back thru MO and KS.

Happy travels whatever you decide!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe try to catch Ohio SR 32 from US 50 near Athens, Ohio, great road and some nice scenery. It takes you to Cincinnati. From there, maybe get back on US 50 and head north as you please from there to US 36.