cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ausable Chasm NY to Rochester?

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
How is Rt 9? I like to stay off the interstates. What would you suggest? I am heading to Niagara (from Burlington VT) in mid October weather permitting. I like taking the ferry across Lake Champlain.
6 REPLIES 6

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I spoke w/ co-workers out of Champlain NY about what you'd like to do. He said it's gonna be pricey taking the fairy across w/ a RV. Went onto say that you'd be better off crossing at Rouse's Point, and take NY 11 all the way to Watertown. From there pick up NY 3 to NY 104 to the falls. No interstates involved except perhaps from Burlington to Rouse's Point.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much. Great responses and ideas!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I think 9 should be just fine. I-87 in that area (well, at least north of Lake George) is a rather pretty road too, in my opinion, and doesn't have overly heavy traffic generally.

My standard route from the Burlington area to western New York is basically US7 to VT 22A to VT 17 and across the bridge, and then NY 9N to NY 8 through the Adirondacks to NY 365 and then the Thruway as needed. It looks like you could continue on NY 49 to NY 104 to bypass the Thruway. Taking US 9 to NY 8 would work for you, and bypasses some of the steepest and curviest parts of NY 8.

The other poster's suggestions seem entirely reasonable to me, too.

The Lake Ontario State Parkway west of Rochester is open to RVs (unlike practically all the other parkways in New York), but has some comparatively low clearances and is in very rough condition. NY 18 along the lake is a nice road.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I'd go to Plattsburg, then west out of there towards Malone, Ogdensburg, Watertown area. From there, take either rte 3 or 11 south to 104 west. Bypasses 90 and runs parallel to 81. 104 pretty much runs south or Lake Ontario, but east to west all the way to the falls.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to information on visiting Niagara Falls. Front another site.

Niagara Falls things to do or done.

Bob

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Take 11 and then 37 and drive down along the St Lawrence.