cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Badlands to Custer in 40 foot rv, I-44 ok?

Jenanne
Explorer
Explorer
We will be driving from the Badlands KOA to Custer (Big Pine Campground) in June 40 foot rv w/tow. We will have already done the loop in jeep and dont really want to go back up to Wall and over on 90, is I-44 ok with that size of RV?
5 REPLIES 5

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Or you could take 16Byp to 79 south to Hermosa, then 36W to 16A West, straight through Custer State Park to Custer. Do NOT take 16A East from here, except in the toad.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you just want to see a lot more rolling grassland, I'd go back to the interstate and up to Rapid City and then to Custer.

In any case, take US 16 into the Black Hills and at the big interchange with 16A, stay right and follow 16 and NOT 16A and go to where it Tees into 385, then west to Hill City and then down to Custer.

Stop somewhere and pick up a Black Hills and Badlands Tourist map, its invaluable for getting around and virtually everyone has them to give out. I was depending on Google Maps and the first day on the way down to Rushmore from Spearfish, the Google Maps quit, they were doing a system upgrade at Google. Thankfully the roads have very good signage and I got a map at Rushmore.

FWIW and to blow my own horn a bit, HERE is my trip report on my visit to the area last August.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
How do you plan on going after you get to Rapid City on 44, I certainly would not take 16A south from Keystone, not in a 40' & towing. there are too many of these.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
No problem for your motorhome. You stated I-44... it's not an interstate. It's a good two-lane. Enjoy!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
yes. it's two lane, but a good road.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.