cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Baja North

socal
Explorer
Explorer
Let me try this location, posted in campground but no luck. Interested is camping betwwent TJ and south to Ensenada For next year. Campgrounds any good along the ocean? Thanks, just on a fact finding mission for now. Recommendations?

David
Slabs
30 REPLIES 30

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
How is the security at that park in San Quintin?

None i think, but I have never had a problem nor has anyone I talked to.

OZeRV
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
OZeRV, what did you think of Baja Seasons? Looking at the video, I am guessing that you spent your first night there. The video had tantalizing glimpses of the surf at that RV park -- it looked good! Did you go into the water?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Baja Seasons - good park, swimming pool and plenty of room. Yes, we had a swim on a rather deserted beach. Quite a contrast to some of the other beaches we stayed at - Popotla beach is very much a locals beach and quite an eye opener.

We stayed at Fidel's near San Quintin - no-one around after dark except us and the caretaker.

We arrived home in Oz yesterday and I was back at work today ๐Ÿ™‚

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
How is the security at that park in San Quintin?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

popsiscool
Explorer
Explorer
I love Fedel's just south of San Quentin. Great guy beautiful beach and cheap.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
OZeRV, what did you think of Baja Seasons? Looking at the video, I am guessing that you spent your first night there. The video had tantalizing glimpses of the surf at that RV park -- it looked good! Did you go into the water?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Our Favorite winery was a bit hard to find but worth the effort....

http://www.bajabound.com/destinations/bajawinecountry/tresmujeres.php

OZeRV
Explorer
Explorer
Just a follow-up to my earlier queries regarding crossing at Tijuana - it was all easy as some had suggested.

We have just spent a couple of weeks between Rosarito and south of San Quintin - currently at Estero Beach Resort which is quite a contrast to some of the others including:
  • Baja Seasons Beach Resort
  • Campo Playa RV Park
  • Mona Lisa RV Park
  • LA Jolla Beach Camp
  • Balnerio El Palomar
  • Coyote Cal's
  • Los Olivos
  • Fidel's El Pabellon Palapas Alvinos

In most parks we have been the only travellers - it is hard to understand why there are not more from north of the border at this time of the year.

Now about to do the winery trail frommEnsenada to Tecate.

We have put a little YouTube dashcam video together of our first driving experiences in Mexico:

http://youtu.be/QakJGvGdpN0

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
You can get it at least to Rosario. Its not marked on stations but it is ULSD. Regardless, a couple of tanks of LSD will do no harm.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Zero stations in Baja California sell anything other than UBA diesel imported from either the USA (15 ppm) and Japan (frequently 0 PPM). Zero stations in BCS from the eagle monument south sell UBA ULSD. The average sulfur count in Mexican diesel is 240-270 ppm azufre.

MARINE DIESEL is for ships and it sells for about 3/4 the price as gasolinera diesel and averages 200=600 ppm sulfur. Plain not available.

As of this writing the more southerly gasolinera that has USA refined ULSD is the one at Villa Jesus Maria 32 miles north of Guerrero Negro. A new gasolinera is under construction immediately north of the Eagle monument.

Surprise. not one single drop of gasoline sold in Baja California is of Mexican origin. it's either USA or Japanese refined. In Baja California Sur as in the rest of Mexico Pemex Premium is USA made with a tiny percentage being Japanese.

Hope this helps.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
Some say it is possible to find ULSD in MX but would not count on it. We took the route through wine country from/to Tecate some years ago and stayed at the deaf/mute school along the way for a few days as we visited wineries. Not a bad drive.

Baja Norte at least has ULSD, the south is debatable. Dan Goy of Baja Amigos says it is, but I am not so sure. Short of taking samples & testing them its hard to confirm. One trip using LSD won't hurt. I know on our caravans many ignore it and we have had nobody report any issues with the number of tanks they have used. The Quebec caravans report the same thing. Ed White has a lot of info on it. He has posted it here a few times and you can also find it HERE along with info on how to make your particle filter cleanable.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Not impressed with the beaches that far north. The ones on the mainland are better in my opinion. You have to go further south in Baja onto the Sea of cortes, at least to Bahia de Los angeles, to find nice beaches.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sue and Bill wrote:
This might be a little late in posting.

๐Ÿ™‚

Quite so.

Did anybody notice that - except for the last few posts - this topic is 6 months old? The OP have probably gone and came back already.

But, in case if they didn't, here are Camps Tijuana to St Tomas. And, if you go back to the home page, there are other camps along the peninsula. Estero Beach is undoubtedly the most expensive camp in the entire South and North Ensenada. More expensive than any other camp in 50-60 miles stretch. Why - don't know, don't ask me.

Sue_and_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
This might be a little late in posting. We used to live at Estero Beach full time in a house and prior to that, went to their campground regularly in our RV. It is a nice campground, I think only 30 amp service, unless they changed it. But you shouldn't need AC anyway.
Estero Beach is a nice, safe place to stay. Right on the bay, restaurant, bar, tennis courts, hotel on premises, too.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Tijuana can be avoided completely, going South at the border there is a right hand turn and then a left tun that leads to the customs check point, stay on the right hand lane once past the customs area there is another left turn, there is an exit to the right that goes over the Tia Juana river and leads you down to the other side, stay on this road, it will go up a hill next to the border fence.

Once the road reaches the crest, the road turns left and goes down, be careful sharp curves, at the bottom stay on the right lane and exit, this merges with the road to Playas de Tijuana, now stay on the center lane up a hill, left curve down hill, up another hill and then you come to the "Y" left lanes go to Rosarito and Ensenada toll road and right lane(s) to Playas, now you are on the toll road to Rosarito and Ensenada.

On the way back, stay on the same road do not make any turns, once past most of the town the street becomes a one way, stay on the second lane from the left, this leads straight to the over pass to the border, go slow lots of traffic and idiots behind the steering wheel.

if you need to visit the Banjercito modules, Tijuana is not easy to get to them, specially with big rigs, I definitely recommend Tecate for that.

Buen viaje

navegator