cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bankhead Tunnel - Hwy 98 - Mobile, AL

scottandgaye
Explorer
Explorer
For unfortunate reasons, we would like to take the Bankhead tunnel (Highway 98) from the Mobile side heading east. I will not be pulling my fifth wheel, but will be in a 12' U-Haul 26' long truck. The stated clearance for this tunnel is 12', but I have heard of 18 wheelers getting stuck (and they should be around 13' 6"). Does anyone have any specific experience with this tunnel and will I have any issues? I would prefer not to try to access I-10 from downtown Mobile. Any insight into this route would be greatly appreciated.
2022 Ford F-350 LWB DRW PSD Platinum
2012 Hitchhiker Champagne 36LKRSB
12 REPLIES 12

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
First, an apology: I was thinking of the I-10 tunnel all the time. That is the only tunnel I have experience with in Mobile.

On the other hand I do have experience getting from US 98 to the I-10 tunnel. Our usual way is to take I-65 south to I-10. I can recommend this route.

On our most recent trip we followed US 98 on through town. That was surprising easy. We just moved right along and had no problems. The access to the tunnel was clearly marked.

jvowell1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi we travel from Hattiesbug MS to Pensacola FL several times a year. When you are on 98, go under I65 turn left and get on I65 north. In a couple of miles get off at the I165 exit towards Mobile. Watch the signs in about a mile get off. I believe it's Bay Bridge Road the signs will show the detour for trucks with hazardous waste. Stay on that road and in the middle of Mobile bay you can get on I10 with no problems. It maybe 5 mile longer this way, but faster as you don't have to deal with lights or the tunnels.

Retired_Phone_M
Explorer
Explorer
Its summer and lots of traffic through 1-10 tunnel and also the old Bankhead tunnel. I would go North on I-65 then South on I-165 to the alt90 exit. (exit 2 - New Bay Bridge Rd) Its about 6 mi of interstate. The route across that bridge is an industrial area and less traffic and all 4-lane back to I-10.

I have friends in North Mobile and they always use the bridge to avoid heavy traffic in Mobile.

Jim ๐Ÿ™‚
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab with 5.7L V8 and Tow Package.
2007 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 21MB
Peaches - Lhasa Apso/Mut Mix

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe that tunnel has signs that say "no trucks". I wouldn't chance it with a rented vehicle.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We were staying with family in Semmes. Yard big enough to hold the 62' long rig hooked up.

Went down 98, north on 65, south on 165 and took the Alt 90 exit to the bridge.

It looks on a map like a long way out of the way, but Mobile is pretty small and it only added about 3 miles of driving.

If I had to take a tunnel coming in on 98, I'd take I-65 down to I-10. Only about four or five extra miles and no stop lights.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
We did the reverse run last week, on our Florida to Colorado trip. Stayed on I 10, used the tunnel to go under the river, till we got to Interstate 65 on the west side of Mobile. North on I 65 to the Hwy 98 exit to Hattiesburg, less than 10 miles on I 65. Some traffic on the first 20 miles or so on Hwy 98 out of Mobile. We were in our Class A towing our Jeep behind and had no problems with that route and we are about 12 ft in height. Should be just as easy dropping south to I 10 on 65 and on east.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
I know your pain...look at a street map after I explain the I10 tunnel route.
If you're going East on Government St. towards the 98 tunnel. At or before the Government/Conception redlight, stay in the right lanes, don't exit to the tunnel lane. Turn right on Water St. (2 blocks) and immediately look for the I10 East Pensacola ramp.
I have to go this route in our 13'3", 45' camper.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

scottandgaye
Explorer
Explorer
we're coming in on 98 from Hattiesburg and there is no easy route that I can see to get from 98 to the I-10 tunnel. I have taken the Bankhead tunnel many times, but never with a tall vehicle. Thanks for the info on the height of the truck. I thought it was 12', not 11'. And thanks to all for the info.
2022 Ford F-350 LWB DRW PSD Platinum
2012 Hitchhiker Champagne 36LKRSB

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We did the bridge last year and found it an easy alternative.

I've never really liked the Bankhead Tunnel approaches in a car. Wouldn't want to try it towing, though to be honest - my experience with that tunnel dates to the 70's.

The I-10 tunnel is nice, but there can be traffic crowding as you go through downtown. The bridge has almost no traffic.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you HAVE to take the Bankhead Tunnel? You would not have to worry about height if you took either the Wallace Tunnel (I-10) or divert to the Africatown Bridge and cross the Mobile River there. Both alternatives have no problem with height, the Africatown Bridge is easy to get to, just follow the Hazardous Load signs. Hazardous Materials are prohibited in either tunnel.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We have been going through that tunnel for many years--with several different fifth-wheel models. Never had a worry. Easy.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
No info on the tunnel, but suggest you check out a Penske truck rental. Rates are usually significantly cheaper and allow more time for the distance.

According to the U-Haul web page, the 26' truck is only 11' tall.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)