cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route around/thru Nashville & Memphis

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
Will be heading west on I-40. Looks like several loops around or straight thru on I-40? Suggestions appreciated!!
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC
7 REPLIES 7

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going through Nashville at other than rush hour, and especially not on Fridays, straight through on I40 works well. Just remember to stay in the middle lane as you will need to "keep right" and "keep left" frequently to stay on I40 and not end up on the wrong side of a split.

If you have to hit it at rush hour, I840 would be the recommendation but it will add 30-45 minutes to the drive.

As for Memphis, there really isn't a bypass or alternate route. Just don't drive through at peak times. And realize as you approach the city going westbound, it's a right exit to stay on I40. If you are going eastbound, it will be a left exit at the end of the circuitous path to stay on I40.
2017 LTV Unity

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
840 around Nashville is a bit longer but will avoid the crazy trying to go straight through Nashville. Unless you plan on stopping there for an over night or sight seeing for a couple days 840 is your best bet. Stay on 40 for Memphis.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
East or west I-840 around Nashville.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. We only travel from 9am - 3pm....and that is a long day. Sounds like we should be good.
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
During rush hour which starts around 3:00PM in Nashville stay away from I-65. Major headache. I-40 w&e are to bad assuming no accidents within 10-miles
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I went straight through both without issue last year.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We drove straight thru Memphis in June, no problems at all om I-40 And just a couple days ago came in from the NW on one interstate, got on I-40 for a should leg then south on I-55(?) south. Not even a slow up either time. The bad spot was Chattanooga because of construction that may be done now. Don't recall any problems in Nashville either.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper