cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route from Salem, OR to Houston, TX

LMSG30
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 32' Grand Design 5th wheel being pulled by a 2012 F350 Super Duty 6.7 diesel. I'm looking for the best route from Oregon to Houston. I'll be traveling in spring March-April-May - so, I'm not worried about weather, but would like to avoid the really bad passes, the lower elevation, the better. I know my rig is just fine for just about any conditions, but the thing I like the least is steep grades. Thank you!!!
6 REPLIES 6

toornot2
Explorer
Explorer
to avoid steep passes,from salem go north to 1-84 east through the columbia river gorge to the dalles then us hwy97 come down the east side of the cascada to hwy 395 through california to barstow hwy 58 east will become !-40. stay on 1-40 until hwy 95 az to I-10 east to hwy 85 BY PASS to interstate 8 , interstate 8 merges with interstate 10 then to huston

LMSG30
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone... I was unaware that snow might be an issue in April/May. I planned a southern route per most of y'all's advice.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me the I-5 then I-10 route fits your criteria.
But it's all Interstate, and for me that is more hassle than a few mountain passes. I'd rather use less congested routes.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The immediate climb east of Salem will be, I think the longest and steepest you'll encounter. If you continue east on 20 to I80 you'll be at the high desert level until SLC without significant passes. Winds will more of an issue on I80 across Wyoming. Or turn SE to NM.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
I-5 south to I-10, then east to Houston.
The by-pass of Phoenix is good....hwy 85 south to I-8
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
LMSG30 wrote:
I have a 32' Grand Design 5th wheel being pulled by a 2012 F350 Super Duty 6.7 diesel. I'm looking for the best route from Oregon to Houston. I'll be traveling in spring March-April-May - so, I'm not worried about weather, but would like to avoid the really bad passes, the lower elevation, the better. I know my rig is just fine for just about any conditions, but the thing I like the least is steep grades. Thank you!!!

For crossing the northern or central Rockies, consider I-80 as an option. The highest point on all of I-80 is outside Laramie, WY at ~9600 feet. Lots of rolling terrain across Wyoming coming out of Utah. Not aware of any passes of note beyond the Reno NV area (there's the passes around Tahoe area). There's some climbs out of Salt Lake City area and then a 7 or so mile climb out of Laramie to the high point. Once across that, it's down hill to Cheyenne area. From there pick a route south to Houston.

OR...drop down through your favourite route in CA to I-40 or I-10 and then east. Advantage here would be less likely to have snow, whereas through Utah and Wyoming there would be more chance of snow in your March-April-May timeframe. March and April are the snowiest months, at least for CO and WY. So if that's an issue for you, heading further south may be your best option.

I'm sure others will have other opinions and responses.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.