cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route from Scranton to Bar Harbor

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™re up from Florida staying the night just north of Scranton. Looking for the best route to Acadia. Would like to avoid big cities and expensive tolls yet keeping in mind weโ€™re in a class A with a tow. Any advice greatly appreciated.
2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Motorhome
2003 Jeep Wrangler X Toad
1996 Key West 19CC Sportsman, 115 Yamaha
2 REPLIES 2

fwed
Explorer
Explorer
If you're still on the way: Once you're in Connecticut I-95 to I-495 to I-95 again is the most direct route. Once in Maine, stay on I-95 (Maine Turnpike) until you're past Portland, then I-295 (toll-free). Then it's decision time. US Route 1 is good and scenic, but generally slow. Get off I-295 in Freeport (LL Bean is open 24/7) or Topsham to access Route 1. Otherwise stay on I-295 to Gardiner (good travel center there to stay overnight just before you get on the turnpike), then Maine Turnpike (only a few miles) to Route 3 (just north of Augusta) to Belfast where you'll hook up to Route 1 again. That will take you straight into Ellsworth where it's Route 3 again to Bar Harbor. All that said, once you're in Bar Harbor you'll probably find most of the campgrounds closed for the winter. October 15 is the normal closing date up this way. Call ahead. But you can probably do overnights in malls or municipal lots. Freeport allows it for sure and I'd guess Ellsworth does. DO NOT try to take your Class A into Bar Harbor. It's a great town, but small. It's hard enough to manuver my pick-up downtown. Same goes for Route 1 in Southern Maine. This time of year, my guess is you'll be spending some nights in motels.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
I/84 (Newburgh bridge toll about $10) to I/90 Mass Pike ($3.00 toll for 5 axles) to I/495 north to I/95
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew