cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route to Carlsbad Caverns from El Paso Texas

skeetshooter
Explorer
Explorer
We're traveling east on I10 and would like to stop at Carlsbad caverns in New Mexico.
We're coming from Arizona. How good is route 62/180 out of El Paso. We are pulling a 39 foot fifthwheel. Any help is appreciated.
SkeetShooter
2014 DRV Mobile Suite 36 TKRB3
2010 Ford F-350 Longbed SD Diesel DRW 4X2
20K Reese Hitch,
Good Sam Life Member
12 REPLIES 12

skeetshooter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the addition information, making the trip ina couple of weeks.
Skeetshooter
SkeetShooter
20K Reese Hitch,
Good Sam Life Member

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Guadalupe Pass for eastbound will be an uphill for 2-3 miles. I can't even recall any issues so it's not a biggie. At this time of year the thing to watch for would be heat and/or wind. You know how your truck reacts to these. The elevation is 5400' so not bad. You will not actually be driving Guadalupe Mountain. The Pass is outside the national park on a good highway.

Here's a YouTube for the drive. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEkibTGzP9U
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

skeetshooter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you who respond. Great information. How steep is the grade
South of Carlsbad?
SkeetShooter
20K Reese Hitch,
Good Sam Life Member

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
62/180 is a very good highway with no issues. We've stayed at Brantley Lake State Park for touring Carlsbad.

The elevators are now in service. However, on the web site at the top of the page is an Alert so notice that they've had rain which caused some flooding and more rain is in store so check first as you get closer to El Paso.

https://www.nps.gov/cave/index.htm

You mentioned you're coming from Arizona and there's another gorgeous cave - Kartchner Caverns State Park at Benson, AZ just off I-10 that you might want to check out. It also has a nice campground with electric. (Volunteered there)

http://azstateparks.com/Parks/KACA/

Caves are nice to explore in hot weather. ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
As has been said, the roads are fine - we just did it in March with a 13.9K fifth wheel. We also stay at the Escapee's park just north of Carlsbad. The main reason that I'm posting is to encourage you to check on the status of the elevators at the caverns. They were out of service when we were there with no date for completion of repairs. That meant a minimum four-hour walk in and out. I did it many times in my youth (grew up in Las Cruces), but in my 60s, it's a different thing...

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
RV Parks Carlsbad - KOA is a great facility. Brantley Lake State Park is a good choice also.

We are Escapee's so stay at the Co-op a bit north of those.

The RV parks in Carlsbad haven't impressed me, and some are not friendly to long trailers - especially those closest to downtown Carlsbad.

There is an RV Park that is part of the White's City complex at the entrance to Carlsbad NP. Some like it, some don't.

White's City is almost the definition of a tourist trap. It has actually become something of a 'must' stop because such places are dying out across the country.

I'll agree with that, White's City hasn't impressed us. Wall Drugs is a much better example of the western tourist trap. We usually stay at a CG in Carlsbad which is OK but nothing great.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah it's a good road we've been down it a number of times. When we are going west on I-10 we get on 54 north and skip El Paso all together. It runs into 160. Driving 54 tho will certainly give you an appreciation of Phil Sheridan's quip about Texas and Hell.

Last time we went thru El Paso the radio was warning people to avoid a certain section of town since there was a gunfight going on in Juarez and bullets were flying across the border.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
RV Parks Carlsbad - KOA is a great facility. Brantley Lake State Park is a good choice also.

We are Escapee's so stay at the Co-op a bit north of those.

The RV parks in Carlsbad haven't impressed me, and some are not friendly to long trailers - especially those closest to downtown Carlsbad.

There is an RV Park that is part of the White's City complex at the entrance to Carlsbad NP. Some like it, some don't.

White's City is almost the definition of a tourist trap. It has actually become something of a 'must' stop because such places are dying out across the country.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The road is fine. Just gas up in El Paso because there's nothing from there to the Caverns.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
I travel that route all the time commuting between El Paso and my job near Hobbs. The road is fine. Mostly 2 lane but there are passing lanes in the areas where they are needed.

As it was said by another, this is a 130 mile stretch with no fuel service so be sure that you have enough as you leave El Paso. Another thing to be aware of is the lack of cell phone coverage in some areas.

Where are you planing to stay while visiting the caverns? No personal experience with any of the area parks but the general concensus on the forum is that the KOA to the North of Carlsbad is the best. A few miles out of the way but worth it.

You will have the relatively short but steep grade coming up to Guadalupe Mountains NP but just take your time and all will be fine. You should also consider stopping at the Guadalupe visitor center for a few minutes on your way through. It is the highest mountain in TX and a really interesting place.

Feel free to PM me or ask here if you have any specific questions. I will do my best to help out.

Terry

sremsing
Explorer
Explorer
I can't remember which route I took to Carlsbad. We were coming from Tombstone, Arizona. Filling stations were very rare. At the immigration stop area (or whatever it is called) I had a full tank. From there to Carlsbad there were absolutely no filling stations,lots if dust tornados though). I was running on empty when we got into Carlsbad.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD quad cab, Vortec 6000
Prodigy
2011 Rockwood 2604
wife and one fur buddy.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I've not driven it, but have seen a couple post on this forum that it is a very good road.

I however have driven US-285 from Carlsbad to Pecos Texas (I-20) to Fort Stockton Texas (I-10). There has been a lot of oil field work in that area in recent years, and the road shows a lot of damage, especially the NM section. You can also expect to be passed or tailgated by a lot of big, heavy trucks on that route.

Not enough to make me not take that route this fall on our way to Arizona - but enough to make me wish there was an alternate that doesn't add a couple hundred miles to the trip.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT