cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route to Quartzsite

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
I know I have seen this posted somewhere but for some reason I cant find it anymore. I am leaving next week for Quartzsite. I am on the WV MD PA border and only a few miles from I81. I dont want to run into bad winter weather so I plan on heading south on 81 but I am unsure weather I should go all the way to 10 or cut across and take 20. I know 10 runs a bit further south but is longer. Are the roads about the same for speed and comfort and is there any reason to go as far south as 10 or will 20 be safe. Of course any tips from those that have made this trip would be greatly appreciated.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy
5 REPLIES 5

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
Stop in AZ and check out the ....THING.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
I 20 is fine...but do check the weather at Van Horn, TX because this is the time of year they get a sleet storm or two. Otherwise it will be ok and the sleet will not last more than a day. (usually)
Another spot to watch is El Paso to Lordsburg, NM. But the storms just blow through and are gone the next day.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank guys, I was hoping that I20 would be OK. I think it saves a bit over 200 miles. Not a lot on a 2500 mile trip but every little bit helps. Anything I should make it a point to stop and see to break things up abit.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

mmccwill
Explorer
Explorer
I20 will be OK -- It ends at I10 about 30 miles East of Van Horn Texas - Stay off I40 thru New Mexico & Arizona -- In fact I would stay off I40 anywhere this time of year -- Bill Willard

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
All the I routes I have been on are about the same. Some maybe a bit older and worn. I would watch the weather and let it make my choice and then take the shortest safe route.

LEN