cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best RV route Palm Springs, CA to Denison Texas

ocexpress
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard the shortest route from Palm Springs, CA to Texas is the 40 but the grades are steep and roads are rough.

Is the best route interstate 10 to the 20?
We are planning 3 days to get there. Any feedback on best routes.
We will be towing a race trailer
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35'
10 REPLIES 10

ocexpress
Explorer
Explorer
thank you all for the input.
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35'

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally, I don't mind I-40 to US-287 to US-82, but yeah, I-40 can be a bit rough in places.

For all-interstate... I-10 to AZ-85 at Buckeye, south to I-8... PHX traffic just isn't worth it, nor do you want to be on I-10 north of Casa Grande, AZ. US-281 to TX-59 to US-82 is a good bypass for Fort Worth.

Another option if you don't mind the back roads is to hop US-70 at Las Cruces and take that up to US-380 across NM and TX. US-62 at El Paso to US-180 isn't so bad either. That runs right past Carlsbad Caverns and Guadelupe Mountains, which was our overnight stop between Tucson and Fort Worth for a few years.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I will simply comment on the Texas end of the route.

An alternative would be to take US 281 north off of I-20
then @ Jacksboro take TX 59 all the way to St. Jo where you would
join US 82 E to Sherman where you could take either US 75 N
or TX 91 on in to Denison.
This will avoid the traffic congestion around DFW and bring you straight into Denison.

There are other ways to get up from I-20 to US 82, but this looks like the best.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Remember it is march, it is still snowing on the high country. When going south.. go south.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
lhenry8113 wrote:
We take I 10 toward Phoenix-than before Phoenix we take bypass at Buckeye to Gila Bend-than back to I10 South.

X2 I would go 50 miles out of my way to completely avoid the Phoenix area. You will still have to go through Tucson which is also bad but to avoid I40 you do not have much of a choice. I also recommend avoiding I40 in Arizona as going cross country in the desert is about as good as I40 that is how bad the road condition is on I40 in Arizona.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
You have 2 options.
First is to Jump down to I8 by the Salton Sea (you pick which route is best based on local traffic conditions). Take the 8 to the 10 and the 10 to the 20 into DFW. At DFW, pick whatever route works best based on local traffic conditions to your final destination.

The second option is 10 to Phoenix where as you get into Phoenix, jump onto the newer 202 SOUTH bypass (don't mistakenly take the 202 NORTH which is miles before the 202 South) and get back onto 10 after Phoenix and continue with the 10 to 20 directions.

The first option is what I prefer just because the routes to I8 in CA are not as haggering as the (close to and within) Phoenix metro traffic can get. It also has less traffic overall.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
lhenry8113 wrote:
We take I 10 toward Phoenix-than before Phoenix we take bypass at Buckeye to Gila Bend-than back to I 10 South.

we do too

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We take I 10 toward Phoenix-than before Phoenix we take bypass at Buckeye to Gila Bend-than back to I 10 South.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mid day 10 to the 202 Phoenix bypass is OK.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
ocexpress wrote:
I've heard the shortest route from Palm Springs, CA to Texas is the 40 but the grades are steep and roads are rough.

Is the best route interstate 10 to the 20?
We are planning 3 days to get there. Any feedback on best routes.
We will be towing a race trailer

10 to 8 to 10 to 20

40 east is Flagstaff 7011 feet altitude