cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boondocking

flybob63
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any tips on boondocking it would be appreciated. My wife and I are leaving Fl in mid June to head up there in a 26 foot fifth wheel. Cost is consideration. We will be there a couple months so we have time to travel/explore.

What kind of a road is the Dalton. I know where it is/goes but I've heard it's a dirt road with bad rocks and I've heard its a paved road. Not sure what to believe or if I want to chance damage to the fifth wheel.

Thanks.

Bob.
8 REPLIES 8

flybob63
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks BCboy and Farngs I appreciate the info. I'm going to get a "milepost" soon. I hope to have most of the back issues resolved before I go. Working on some things and trying a new med for the osteoarthritis.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
boondocking in bc is almost unlimited.amost all forest service sites are all free and are almost everywhere.most have picnic tables and pit toilets.you can boondock on crown land.highway pull outs and the odd rest area as well.we take about 12 trips a year between may and october with a month in august and boondock exclusively.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
flybob63 wrote:
Plus I also have a multitude of back issues as well and the frost heave that jarred your back sounded none to appealing to me either.

There is no way to avoid frost heave on the paved roads in northern BC, Yukon, and Alaska. There is a long stretch of the Alaska Highway--Destruction Bay nearly to Tok--that is severely frost-heaved and being partially reconstructed. One section just west of Beaver Creek had pavement broken into large. offset slabs that were like towing a trailer at 1 to 10 mph over the ice floes on the Yukon River during spring breakup. The Tok Cut-off has a 9-mile frost-heaved section that was no more than 25 mph while towing our trailer. The Cassiar Highway has major frost heave between Dease Lake and Watson Lake. The Edgerton Highway to Chitina and parts of the Richardson, Parks, Taylor, and Glenn Highways have frost heave. The Glenn near Glennallen and the Parks north of Healy are being rebuilt.

Some of those areas probably should never have been paved because they would have been easier and less costly to maintain as gravel roads. But, even if you took the AMHS ferry both ways to Skagway or Haines, you still have to negotiate the Alaska Highway between Destruction Bay and Tok. Well, that's not quite true as you could take the TOTW/Taylor "highways" as an alternative!

Check out your "Milepost" before you leave each morning and pay special attention to the red lettering. This will give you an idea of what road conditions you are going to encounter that day and, possibly, give you a better idea of how long it may take to reach your destination. Don't base your arrival times on a GPS because the speed limit may have nothing to do with a "safe speed"--safe for your RV and for your back.

Incidentally, on our 2013 Alaska trip, we had no visible damage to the exterior of our truck, no broken windshield or headlights, and no damage to our trailer after 9,000 miles over the Alaska, Cassiar, Haines, Richardson, Edgerton, Glenn, Seward, Sterling, Parks, Taylor, TOTW, Stewart, and North and South Klondike highways and the Tok Cutoff. What we did have were flat tires and ended up replacing one trailer tire and both rear truck tires during our trip.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

flybob63
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Lonnie..... That's a nice website you have. Will probably not be doing the Dalton based on what I saw and read. Beautiful place but I really can't afford any damage to the RV or the truck. It's also my primary transportation and I don't want to get it too dinged with rocks etc, although this is Alaska and I'm sure a certain amount is quite probable no matter what. Plus I also have a multitude of back issues as well and the frost heave that jarred your back sounded none to appealing to me either. Definitely gonna check out many of the other things you had pics of as well as the shows you mentioned.

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
Just click on the blue underlined "Lonnie and Sue" in my signature block following my first post.

If that don't work the website is www.lonnieandsue.com
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

flybob63
Explorer
Explorer
Lonnie, how do I get to the website on your signature? New to this site and couldn't figure out how to do it.

Thanks for the info everyone.

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
Boon docking through Canada is limited but the Provincial Parks provide a good cheap alternative in Yukon, and they provide free firewood. The ones in BC are fairy pricey.

In Alaska you can pretty much pull off and camp in any spot that is large enough for your unit and there is not a "NO PARKING or NO CAMPING" sign.

Re the Dalton. We drove it in 2005, 2009, and 2013. You can see our trip logs and photos in the website listed on my signature.

We are currently planning another trip in 2017. Will do the Dalton again. The opportunity to see Musk Oxen in the wild is a great attraction to us.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't been to Alaska yet but I have had good luck with this site and I see that they have listings in Canada.

http://freecampsites.net/

http://freecampgrounds.com/index.aspx