cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buffalo to Myrtle Beach

wnycamper
Explorer
Explorer
We usually take 90 to 79 to the PA turnpike and then down through DC to 95. Looking for a less hectic route and thinking of 90 to 79 to 19 to 77 to 74, going through Winston Salem. it looks like a nicer route but don't know what traffic is like around WS on a Saturday morning. We went through Charlotte once and took almost 2 hours to get through the Saturday traffic. Anyone have any ideas? Also looking for a campground to spend the night halfway and it looks like somewhere between Beckley and Princeton is halfway.
7 REPLIES 7

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
I 81 to 64 then take 288 to 95 south of Richmond. 288 is just like an Interstate and my preferred route to 95 south.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I live less than 5 minutes from I 79 and always take I 79 to Route 19 to I 77 to I 74 Route 52 to 73/74 to 74 to I 95 to Route 9 into North Myrtle

All good roads 4 lane highways for the most part. Traffic can get just a little heavy in Winston Salem but it keeps moving no delays.

Depending on where you are staying in Myrtle you can take Route 9 straight into North Myrtle (good for Myrtle Beach Travel Park) or get on Route 31 which is a four lane bypass which will take you south to Ocean Lakes, Pirate Land or Lakewood.

The only big gotcha is coming home on the weekends you will get stuck at the I81 I 77 merge if you hit it in the afternoon. I'm talking complete stop and crawling a few feet at a time kind of stop. Everyone coming north from Myrtle Charlotte etc just jams the merge point. We solved this by traveling home during the week.

Regarding campgrounds there is a decent park in Wytheville called Fort Chiswell RV Park. This is definitely an overnight stop but very little if any highway noise has a small pool that was nice. There is not much in the area as far as tourist attractions or fancy restaurants but you can get a good nights sleep there. I highly DO NOT recommend the KOA there. Stayed there only once and it was miserable. Electric hookup was so far away in front of site that I had to purchase another electric cable just to hookup. Staff was miserable and guys riding around in pickups making lewd comments to my two daughters.

PM me if you need more details or have questions

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
wnycamper wrote:
We usually take 90 to 79 to the PA turnpike and then down through DC to 95. Looking for a less hectic route and thinking of 90 to 79 to 19 to 77 to 74, going through Winston Salem. it looks like a nicer route but don't know what traffic is like around WS on a Saturday morning. We went through Charlotte once and took almost 2 hours to get through the Saturday traffic. Anyone have any ideas? Also looking for a campground to spend the night halfway and it looks like somewhere between Beckley and Princeton is halfway.

You would not have trouble through Winston-Salem on a Saturday morning, as long as we are not talking about this fall. Your route would be I-74 to US 52 through Winston-Salem to I-40 East and back to I-74.

Beginning this fall, a major thoroughfare, business 40, will be closed for a couple of years. No one knows what that will do to traffic on US 52, but it probably will not be good.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I like I-81 to Winchester VA to US50 to US17 back to I-95 just north of Fredricksburg. 50 and 17 are scenic and an easy drive. Like Patty, we make a stop in Fredricksburg (the KOA is close to I-95).

You could take US17 all the way to Myrtle, but it goes all over the place and would probably take a while.

You can take I-295 to avoid Richmond. The last time we went to Myrtle, I got off I-95 onto I-40 then around Wilmington on I-140 and picked up US17 again.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
81 is the way to go. Stay off 95 as much as possible. Did the 95 route twice, then 81 last year. Way better....

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
While I cannot speak to that far a west route, we have come down 81 to 66 to 17 to 95 in Fredericksburg. 95 Traffic is typically busy through Richmond but we lay over in Fredericksburg for the evening. Thought about 77 but it takes me to far west. This year we were traveling with others and heard about a 15 mile back up on 95 in SC. We took I40 around Fayetteville east to 17 to 31 bypass. It was a nice route into MB vs 301 501 544.

Happy Trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Funny that you ask this cuz another poster wants to know the best route from Myrtle Beach to Syracuse area, via another thread.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"