cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadian Maritimes

ddferreira
Explorer
Explorer
Planing a trip to the Maritimes this summer. Just wanted some of your must sees. We got 4-5 weeks.

Dan
Dan 2008 Allegro 32 BA FRED towing 2010 Honda Fit with a Ready Brake tow bar/braking system. There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't! :B
22 REPLIES 22

ddferreira
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the ideas. Unfortunately due to some health issues that the DW is having we are having to cancel this summer's trip to Canada. We will e camping locally. I'll keep your suggestions in mind when we do this trip probably in 2018 .
Dan
Dan 2008 Allegro 32 BA FRED towing 2010 Honda Fit with a Ready Brake tow bar/braking system. There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't! :B

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Moncton, NB for the Tidal Bore and Magnetic Hill......optical illusion to see water in the ditches running uphill.
Ray

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Re. Gros Morne and anything across The Gulf, don't you think folks shy off when they have to go to that extra expense of the ferry or the plane to get there?

Definitely but I think a lot of it is the time involved as well. The last attempt we made to get to Newfoundland (we have already been once) was foiled due to rough seas and the ferries being cancelled. They don't cancel all that often but this was one of those times. Nfld is just breathtaking and definitely worth the extra work to get there.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone else on here planning on doing the festival in Canso, NS this year? Looks to be a decent one, large but not too big.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Re. Gros Morne and anything across The Gulf, don't you think folks shy off when they have to go to that extra expense of the ferry or the plane to get there?

I didn't mention the ferry that runs from Campobello Island to Deer Island and then Grand Manan Island and back because I haven't taken it, but I've heard really good reports about that trip.

Do I feel spoiled for living in this part of the world? Heck no.

& by the by I only did Hartland Bridge this fall.

Oooooooh, forgot Magdalen Islands. Yep, on my bucket list, they are.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Kay-lee is what I hear in 3 out of the 4 directly affected provinces. Check out BaraMacneils works and those of others with direct gaelic ancestors.

I have Boston ears as well as a Boston accent! :B I have heard it both ways, though.

What I gave you was a ratio re. Gros Morne and Cabot Trail.

I can't do math at that hour of the morning!

Have you visited Gros Morne?

Yes, it was stunning. One park being "better" than another is very subjective. I love the Cabot Trail because it's beauty is very tranquil to me. I love Gros Morne because it's beauty is very exciting to me. It's all in what you are looking for.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
ddferreira wrote:
Planing a trip to the Maritimes this summer. Just wanted some of your must sees. We got 4-5 weeks.

Dan

What are your interests? Museums? Whale watching? Scenic drives? Local festivities?

More specific information about your interests will elicit much better answers.

We went to Nova Scotia and enjoyed the local festivities as well as the Cabot Trail. If we could afford it, we would be tempted to move to NS: lovely people, terrific culture.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
pronounced kay-LEE

Depends on whether your are a Scot or a Mic. I have heard it pronounced both ways when I've been in the Maritimes.

Gros Morne has Cabot Trail

Is there a second Cabot Trail? I only know the one that's in Nova Scotia on Cape Breton Island.

Forgot about the Fortress of Louisbourg. That is a great place to visit.

Kay-lee is what I hear in 3 out of the 4 directly affected provinces. Check out BaraMacneils works and those of others with direct gaelic ancestors.

What I gave you was a ratio re. Gros Morne and Cabot Trail. I think Gros Morne is a 100 times better park than Cabot Trail. The reason is easy to find. They (Parks Canada and political developers)took out the settlements, human interpretations of early settlers for Cabot Trail. They, again Parks Canada and Federal and this time local and provincial developers, worked together. Have you visited Gros Morne?

:C

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
pulsar wrote:
wxtoad wrote:

Another intriguing spot is the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Whycocomagh. I hadn't been aware of the many varied interests of this great mind.

Have a great trip!

WxToad

The Alexander Graham Museum is in Baddeck, about 25 miles up 105 from Whycocomagh.

Bell National Historic Site

Tom

Thanks, Tom. The old brain was remiss on that. We had stayed at Whycocomagh Provincial Park the night before.

WxToad
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
pronounced kay-LEE

Depends on whether your are a Scot or a Mic. I have heard it pronounced both ways when I've been in the Maritimes.

Gros Morne has Cabot Trail

Is there a second Cabot Trail? I only know the one that's in Nova Scotia on Cape Breton Island.

Forgot about the Fortress of Louisbourg. That is a great place to visit.

Douglas Adams

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Go to the College of Piping in Summerside on PEI and take in a performance and attend a ceilidh (pronounced KAY-lay).
Fundy National Park, NB. Get some peanut butter cookies, raisin bread and sticky buns at the bakery in Alma, the town just outside the park.
Observe the tidal bore in New Brunswick.
Drive the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia.
Visit the two national parks in Newfoundland, Gros Morne and Terra Nova.

A) pronounced kay-LEE

B) Maritimes are the 3 provinces in Confederation (nation of Canada) before 1949.

Joey wanted the term Atlantic Canada to be the term for the 4 provinces on the Atlantic Ocean, when Newfoundland and Labrador entered Canada.

Now, having lived on Newfoundland between 1983 and 2008, I heartily agree on many places. Gros Morne has Cabot Trail and enclosing park beat by about 100:1 JHMO. Don't cross The Gulf unless you can give that Island 2 weeks. & if you want me to let fly on that one, I sure can do so big, big time.

Back to the Maritimes (where my roots are)
-Louisbourg Fortress, Tip o' Cape Breton, ie. Meat Cove (hike), 5 Islands Provincial Park, Whycocomagh cg, Farmers Daughter store and surounds, Historic Properties Halifax, Yarmouth Museum,
-Fundy, Tidal Bore, Kings Landing, Acadien Historic Village, Hartland worlds longest bridge, THE BAKERY on Grand Manan Island, Campobello Island with Lubec, ME thrown in;
-PEI so I have the Anne books about memorized but I've never been to the make believe grounds and never will go, did beaches in the teens, love little day boat trips (view the scene, deep sea fish....) New Glasgow Lobster Suppers, Farmer's Market, Orwell Corner Village and Museum & neighboring Sir Andrew McPhail property, woolen mills, Alpaca Farms............Make sure to drive through some midlands for hills experience. Dirt roads Ask about The Klondike.

All of which can be googled. Where to Eat in Canada searched for yummy rewards.

Yes, to take ferry to and bridge from PEI. You pay one way and Bridge is Cheapest.

:B

Wish me luck on this image: Atlantic Canada without Labrador

9 km Confederation Bridge

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Moved to RVing in Canada Forum
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Fundy National Park and Cape Breton Highlands NP both are interesting and both have campgrounds.

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
In New Brunswick GET OFF OF Route 1 and Route 2. Along the St, John River take routes 105 and 102. Day trips along Routes 845, 850, 124, 705, 710, 715. Have a look at a map. The lower St. John River valley is the most beautiful part of the Maritimes and most people just drive along the Trans Canada Highway (Route 2) or Route 1 from Calais, ME to Petitcodiac to meet Route 2 and miss it all. The Fundy Coast - St. Andrews, Saint John, St. Martins, and Fundy National Park are also great visits. DON'T pass by the smaller roadways along the St. John River system.

In Nova Scotia, get off of Routes 102 and 104. Hug the coasts. Cape Beton is beautiful. Mahone Bay/Bridgewater area are places to visit as well as the Annapolis Valley.

In PEI, Charlottetown is nice and Cavendish will be FULL of other tourists. Anything west of Summerside or east of Cardigan was a waste of time for us, locals of course would differ.

Don't drive by the SJ River!

HTH