cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Caution traveling on I-55 in Illinois near Exits 23 & 31

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
They are working on an overpass on I-55 between Exits 23 & 31. It is down to one lane in north and southbound lanes.

There has been 2 horrible accidents in the last 3 weeks! Both involved tractor trailer plowing in to 7-8 vehicles, 3-4 people airlifted each accident. There were 4 fatalities in the first one. The second one was Friday at 2 pm. After the first one they installed rumble strips but that didn't help. Traffic slows rather quickly.

Safe travels!
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB
7 REPLIES 7

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there are plenty of road construction lane warnings. They even added rumble strips on the road. The driver that caused the last accident said he was reaching for his tea and was distracted. They are not talking about the driver that caused the first accident. He plowed over/through 8 cars at full speed. Four young women died. No charges yet...
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Semi's never slow down no matter what the road conditions. Been there seen it for over 20 years now on the road. They blast past me in snow storms, icy conditions, heavy rain storms and even in 'total' black out conditions in the eye of a tornado.

They are almost 'always' the cause of multiple car pileups with injuries and deaths and they survive.

Only and until the state police start ticketing these idiots for 'too fast for conditions' will the carnage ever end.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Now days too many people are too busy doing other things other than paying attention while driving then canโ€™t react fast enough when shi** happens.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
old guy wrote:
do they not have caution signs to slow down and single lane warnings?

There are signs and warnings all over the place in that location extending for several miles before you get to the construction site.
Camped in every state

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:

Probably BUT...you cant travel anywhere without some horse rear being right on your rear. I look in my rear view mirror and cant see the front of the car behind me! It isn't just cars, it's semis too! Do they think you can magically just drive through all the vehicles right in front of you?

This happens even when driving 5 over. I know, I know we have the crowd who thinks that the person who isn't doing 10 or 15 over is the problem because they aren't going with the illegal "flow". Cant fix stupid.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
18 wheelers driving too fast for the conditions? Driving too fast to stop within their vision? No! Reminds me of many RVers.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad