cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cell phone

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a Inland Passage cruise ship ride can I expect my Florida cell phone to work ?
14 REPLIES 14

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ssthrd wrote:
I have no idea where you are coming from with your PS: statement, but this "old fart" (I guess I'm getting close. lol) has been using computers off and on since the late 60's when it took up a small room, and used Fortran 4 and punch cards.

Comments that provide some variation of "you don't need connectivity because that's not why you are there" are very old school thinking but common among those without the experience.

As you say back in the 60's, a pretty basic computer would fill a room. Now a cheap off brand phone has 10 times the computing power.

With that power comes the ability to work remotely for many...IF YOU CAN GET INTERNET CONNECTIVITY.

Since 2007, we could have been stuck in cubicles going to work each day with 3-4 weeks vacation or traveling the world. We decided to take advantage of connectivity and travel extensively. We would do it again in a heartbeat.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Been on several Alaska cruises, most recently in '19.
I lost cell signal very soon after leaving the ports -- Ketch, Juneau, Sitka. I dont recall ever picking up a usable cell signal as we "just passed by".

If you need reliable signal, get the package provided by the ship, dodgy and spendy though it might be.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Letโ€™s keep the references to us โ€˜oldโ€™ folks down. The OP question is a valid one and why thereโ€™s a need for cell coverage is not relevant to the OPโ€™s question.

Thanks,
Eric (Moderator)

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I havenโ€™t been going up and down the west coast of BC and Alaska either , however I agree with ssthrd, in my 4 cruises, and ferry rides up and down the coast, as we have stayed before itโ€™s very spotty and usually only get cell service close to civilization and I have tried with my cell phone with Telus as the provider.
Oh, Iโ€™m old
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea where you are coming from with your PS: statement, but this "old fart" (I guess I'm getting close. lol) has been using computers off and on since the late 60's when it took up a small room, and used Fortran 4 and punch cards.

Good advice except for your last comment.

I stand by what I wrote having been travelling up and down this coast for the better part of 40 years.

Have a great day!
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Check with your provider. Example:

https://www.verizon.com/coverage-map/

Verizon looks pretty sketchy except around towns.

https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

AT&T looks better but take it with a grain of salt as they probably are setting up the map assuming land based users.

If you need it for work, most cruises will have a wifi package you can buy. Don't expect rocket fast service but should get you thru most basic needs.

PS: Ignore the old farts who don't understand that many people are able to work remotely and it allows people to both work and travel unlike in the old days.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Wandering Bob, which Cruise Line are you sailing? Beach and I have a long standing with Princess. We take our I-pads, lap-tops and I-phones. The ship usually gives me free credits assigned to my cabin or you can buy a package of credits. Both Carnival and Princess are pros at getting you started. We sent messages and pictures back home, and we got responses very quickly. What you donโ€™t want to use the credits for is surfing the web; you will end up using up your credits very fast. Yep, all the modern conveniences. Talk with the cruise line customer service or travel agent handling your reservations.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, well kindaโ€ฆ. sortaโ€ฆ
You will get some cell service between Vancouver and Port Hardy, but about 15 minutes sailing time north of Port Hardy you loose cell service.
You will pick it up sometimes but is is very very spotty.
Now thatโ€™s from my BC Ferry, to Bella Coola and from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy plus 4 Cruiseโ€™s to Alaska ( and back) plus driving up and down the east side of Vancouver island, experience.
Last trip by boat was in 2019, so things could have changed by then.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Check Telus coverage map

Check Rogers coverage map

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you leave from Vancouver, BC, there is limited coverage (I use Telus) from there to Prince Rupert unless you are near a settlement which are few and far between on that coast. Can't help with anything north of Rupert.

It's a spectacular trip when the weather is good, so the only thing you will need a phone for is to take pictures with. Enjoy the cruise!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Years ago driving I paid $15/mth for Verizon access in Canada, towers were limited. You may/may not have access in the Canadian ports. Actually the same for US ports depending upon your provider so check with them.

Suggest you just enjoy the cruise and leave the phone in the suitcase. Arrange for emergency communication if that is your need. We passed many bus loads of happy cruisers headed to the cruise line resorts without a clue as to what they were missing. Or perhaps they wondered why we missed so much?...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not expect any phone to work. Distance from the few cell towers, if the tower serves your network, & mountainous terrain is going to severely limit any service.

You might get service near the ports but don't count on that either.

The good news is that it is actually possible to survive without a cellphone in your pocket. It was done before.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
What Crowe said. Keep in mind that there is also the issue of international coverage / charges while in Canada / Canadian waters, depending on the specific route of your ship.

Never done the complete traditional inside passage but have done a good chunk of it in pieces. Although some of those segments were several years ago now, cell towers were pretty few and far between. If staying in touch is important, based on my most recent trip in early 2020 (before the panic set in), I'd recommend a Sat phone.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Call the cruise line and ask. Whether or not it works has nothing to do with the state the phone but whether or not there is access to cell towers along the route, which is unlikely. There is usually the option of renting a satellite phone if you wish to stay in touch with reality.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]