cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charter Fishing in Homer or Valdez

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
I want to get my husband a charter fishing day trip while in either Homer or Valdez.

Has anyone done a charger from there before?

Can someone recommend one?

Thanks in advance!
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014
12 REPLIES 12

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.adn.com/article/20150627/let-barn-door-go-fisherman-and-well-have-halibut-years-come

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
A tip about halibut charters. You are allowed 2 halibut, only 1 can be over 29 inches. A lot of charters are not particular about getting big ones. If you get 2 under 29, that's your 2. You can get an idea about what they are trying to catch by the size of the bait. Small bait usually means small fish. The big barn door ones you see in the pictures are not good to eat.

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago we charter fished out of Ninilchik for halibut. In a 4 hour charter--everyone got 2 halibut. We stayed in Soldatna in the RV and fished the Kenai for salmon. Fishing out of Homer, we also got our halibut but the boat ride was much longer--full day trip. In Valdez, in late summer, fished for salmon--about a 1 hour boat ride, everyone got their limit. I shared the boat with another fisherman--great time--another 4 hour charter. Now that I remember it--I have always shared the charter boat.

Nukengineer
Explorer
Explorer
Just left Homer today. Went out twice with Big Bear Charters. Captain Ethan. Very personable and accommodating. Enjoyed both trips, halibut & salmon combo and a halibut only. Current charter rules for halibut are 2 per day and one must be under 29". Boat is a 38' Tollycraft as I recall.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
"This would be far less likely to happen in Homer and the fishing is closer. Any of the charter companies on the boardwalk will work."

^^^^ This

I'd suggest doing your fishing out of Homer rather than Valdez (spend the $$ on sightseeing from Valdez), but I suspect that one could find a charter out of Valdez as well...just look for the ones that aren't touted by the Cruise Lines.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
prstlk wrote:
I want to get my husband a charter fishing day trip while in either Homer or Valdez.

Thanks in advance!

When we were there the cruise ships weren't, so the fishing boats were too expensive for us to rent alone, and no one else around to share the expense. When the ships are in, the boats are all booked.

This would be far less likely to happen in Homer and the fishing is closer. Any of the charter companies on the boardwalk will work.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Falcon Charter out of Homer. Limited out on halibut and the views were wonderful. Tony Arsenault is the owner and operator. He runs a good operation.
This is his web site: LINK

Enjoy

Lakeside

Fer2005
Explorer
Explorer
I fished with Orion Charters out of Valdez. I booked it thru an outfit called Fish Central. Not sure why except everyone was telling me to do it thru them. You also get a 10% discount on processing your catch if you book thru them.

All in all not a bad day. Caught some nice Halibut but it was a long ride, 3-3 1/2 hours. Fishing for halibut requires a long ride according to the locals. I would do it again with them.
2009 Winnebago Journey 39Z
2012 Ford Taurus Toad

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Homer will give you some nice halibut and it's a neat little town.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Get the Alaska Tour Saver book and both of you can go. We had a great time last year, and saw Humpback Whales on the trip back.

http://m.toursaver.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toursaver.com%2Fninilchik-charters-halibut-fishing-home...
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
We fished out of Homer last year. There are several charters and i dont know how to pick em as we used an agency for the whole trip. Both boats were good experiance, but completely different. The bigger boat was more enjoyable. Cant remember the name of the bigger boat, the small one was called Wild Thing.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
prstlk wrote:

Thanks in advance!

When we were there the cruise ships weren't, so the fishing boats were too expensive for us to rent alone, and no one else around to share the expense. When the ships are in, the boats are all booked.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.