cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chattanooga to Raleigh,NC

Steve_Sheree
Explorer
Explorer
I am traveling from Chatt to Raleigh and have concern about going thru the smokeys. On I-40, I have passed trucks barley moving going up the mountain, and down the other side. I can take another route up to VA and bypass the mountains altogether. Mapquest shows only 12 miles difference. I have a 30' fifth wheel, 2500 diesel which pulls it fine on flat roads. Has anyone driven I-40 pulling a 10K trailer, and what are your recommendations? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
I've pulled a 13000lb 5ver both ways on 40 with no problems. Just requires common sense driving. Certainly easier than I70. Much lower elevations although steep for a short while, its nothing compared to the many long long pulls up or down in the Rockies with passes twice as high and thin air.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004.5 2500 Duramax and 37 ft. fifth wheel. No problems on I-40 through the mountains. If you are behind a semi and can't get by, gear down and keep RPMs up to at least 2500, but not "red line". This also worked on I-70 west of Denver.
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I did that once. I now drive around it. Don't care how many more days it takes me to get down south.

I think it's a 7% grade going south but heading north it is a different pass and it was almost flat.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
With the diesel pulling up through the gorge won't be any problem. What has been my issue is the narrow left lane and lack of straight road. I find it hard to pass trucks, so I don't. And I have found myself not towing behind some flatlander who would not pass or move over, so both lanes went 35. Fancy Gap (I-77) has a steeper grade east bound. If you really want to avoid the mountains go south to I-85 and back north, but that adds about 40 miles.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Directory East is a good reference.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)