cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Delta, CO to Durango via 550

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
How is 550 from Delta to Durango for a 42' fifth wheel? Thanks to my most trusted source for road info. Betsy.
Betsy
7 REPLIES 7

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really, we have driven many roads worse than 550. The lanes are reasonably wide, and there are numerous large pullouts. We saw several big rigs on 550, and we have driven it several times.

It is very scenic, or so my passenger has told me. When I am driving (especially on mountain roads), I often miss much of the scenery.

Having said all of that, I would avoid that road if there is any ice or snow.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Truckers drive that route all the time with 53' trailers. If you drive carefully and know your rig, it should not be a problem. Take you time, watch out for the people that always seem to be in a hurry, and stop often to enjoy the scenery. It is a beautiful drive that I have taken many times and will continue to drive.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

goff1256
Explorer
Explorer
I think it all depends on how confident you are in handling your rig Iโ€™ve been places in motor Inn my motorhome that most people say I shouldnโ€™t go and I had no problems I just take it easy think it through and proceed just like you would with the car anything else just know your limits and yes it can snow up there this time of year I live in Montrose but not to the point where you could be snowbound if you have any sense at all
Erick & Jackie Goff; Plus Ellie Mae the Fu Fu Dog

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We did the 550 last summer in the rain pulling our Voltage and it wasn't even a challenge. If you're the panicky type then I'd advise an alternate route. 550 is the most fun on a Harley assuming there isn't a big slow RV holding you back, lol.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver2 wrote:
It can be done but it is not recommended. If you decide to try it make sure you watch the weather on the mountain. If the top is covered in clouds when you approach Ridgeway use US 62 at Ridgeway to go south. I have hit snow on Red Mountain in Aug when the valley was clear and 90. Check your tires, there is no shoulder for many long stretches of the way if you have a flat. If you are in a gas vehicle you will loose power as you gain altitude. Weekends are the worst time for heavy traffic over that route. Often it is bumper to bumper, particularly behind slow vehicles like yours will be.

It is a pretty drive but only your passenger should be watching the scenery.

BTW I lived up there for 13 years.

What he said- I took it this spring and it was the worst decision ever - its darn right scary - was in my 38ft MH pulling a jeep
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
It can be done but it is not recommended. If you decide to try it make sure you watch the weather on the mountain. If the top is covered in clouds when you approach Ridgeway use US 62 at Ridgeway to go south. I have hit snow on Red Mountain in Aug when the valley was clear and 90. Check your tires, there is no shoulder for many long stretches of the way if you have a flat. If you are in a gas vehicle you will loose power as you gain altitude. Weekends are the worst time for heavy traffic over that route. Often it is bumper to bumper, particularly behind slow vehicles like yours will be.

It is a pretty drive but only your passenger should be watching the scenery.

BTW I lived up there for 13 years.
Turret Class traveler

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how comfortable you are with mountain driving. Passes and switchbacks. Two lane with no shoulder or guardrails. We did it with a 40' fifth wheel with no problems. Take your time and enjoy the beautiful ride.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport