cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Detour around Nashville

RetiredBob
Explorer
Explorer
My son and his family are going to Florida on spring break on Friday, April 1, next year. Travelling from Michigan via I69/I65/I24/I75 they expect significant traffic, especially around Nashville. If his traffic app shows backups on I65 north of Nashville, how would people who are familiar with the area recommend he detour around the city down to I24? 109 or 25 towards Gallatin to I840-I24? If I65 is backed up even further north, what about heading over to 231 and down to I24? They will be travelling by car, not RV, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any suggestions.
11 REPLIES 11

Whaler
Explorer
Explorer
Avoid I-65 and the snarl of Louisville. Take 37 from Indy to Bloomington and pick up the new section of I-69. Very light traffic but Henderson Ky has 5 traffic lights. It is a good place for a break. Stay on 69/ Pennyrile to I-24 and on to Nashville. I like to take I-65 on to Montgomery and then 231. It adds an hour to the trip but avoids Atlanta and lot of traffic. Briley Parkway is my choice if going on to I-24/40. Hwy 37 has 20 miles of construction as it is being upgraded to I-69 but seldom comes to a stop.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We also use Briley Parkway even when we are not stopping in. Nashville. It is so much easier to get through Nashville this way and Briley Parkway is a great road.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto Briley Parkway. We just went through there.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
My folks lived just north of Scottsville, Ky, Southeast from Bowling Green. I have taken many routes in the area. My route of choice with the 5th Wheel is Getting off of I-65 at the 2 mile marker in KY. I usually check fuel prices and the truck stops allow room for the trailer.

I then take 31-W south away from the interstate. It's about 2 mi to Tenn Hwy 109. This has a mix of 2 and 4 lane road. I do this because I usually get fuel at MM2. One could go on down to Hwy 25, Cross Plains exit and take it over to 109 also. Once your south of Gallitin the traffic will sometimes back up, A lot of trucks are starting to use this road. Stay on 109 until you get to I-840 south. Then it's a 20 mi shot back to I-24 just west of Murfreesboro. This route is very close in mileage as going through Nashville. I find that it adds about 30 mins time and could end up saving time with an accident in Nashville. It's a lot more relaxing.

If and only if the traffic is horrendous You could get off of I-65 at Smiths Grove, Ky about the 38 mile stick. South on 101, a narrow 2 lane and I haven't been this route in years so I don't know road conditions. This is about 20 mi to Hwy 31-E the Scottsville bypass. Turn right and US-231 will join up at the first stop light.
South of Westmoreland, Tenn US-231 will turn left take it south all the way to I-24. Disadvantage here is passing through Lebanon and Murfreesboro, lots of stop lights.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
You're starting from the same place we do when pulling our unit down to FL for the winters. We'll be coming back on you're way down. Here's our route, and we don't worry about Nashville. Just stay in your lane and continue south.

Down 131 to Middlebury, IN. Take 20 west to the south side of South Bend (this is actually shorter than I-69 by about 30 miles) and then take US31 to Indy. Then I-465 to I-65 to Louisville. Stay on 65 thru Nashville and on to Montgomery, AL. In Montgomery take I-85 a very short distance east to exit #6 (can't think of the road name) which you follow maybe 4-5 miles to US-231 south to I-10 in the FL panhandle. Take I-10 east to exit #225 & south on US19/27. This 19/27 route is 4-lane and lightly traveled. If you're going further south you should take US98 south of Homosassa Springs over thru Brooksville (all 4-lane) and hook up to I-75.

This route will keep you off I-75 until you get into central FL. It's relatively flat compared to 75, you avoid Cincinnati & Atlanta and all that spring traffic heading south on 75. Granted, there will be traffic, but not as bad as 75. It's about 1200 miles to Crystal River, FL (where we winter) from Portage. We're in Crystal River late the 3rd day on the road. One night in a motel & one night at Deer Run RV Park about 5-6 miles north of Troy, AL & right along US231. From there it's 350 miles to Crystal River.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
Sam Spade wrote:

I personally hate Chattanooga the worst because of all the sharp twists and turns. I won't go through there after dark or in really bad weather. That stretch of road can literally be a killer.

I agree on Chattanooga. I dread driving through there more than Atlanta.

Have they considered staying on I-65 all the way to Montgomery, then taking 231 down to I-10?
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

padre1944
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on Briley

DCS7
Explorer
Explorer
We take Briley Parkway all the time now. It's lower speed,
Less twists and lane sihifting, although be on the lookout for a couple of traffic lights.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Take Briley Parkway (SR 155) from I-65 around to I-24. It is not terribly far out, but avoids downtown. This is not an interstate level road but it is decent, with 4 lanes or more and not too many traffic lights.

US231 is a good road but it goes through every dinky little town with 18 traffic lights, it will take forever.

Alternatively... pick up I-74 in Indianapolis, over to Cincinnati, take the big loop around Cincinnati and pickup I-75. Take I-75 down to Lexington, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, and all the way south. This may be a longer route, but it avoids major snarls except Atlanta.

Check TDOT SMARTWAY TRAFFIC for current construction & delays. There shouldn't be any big construction that time of year. Mid-day is the best time to get through Nashville, or very early morning, as in before 6 AM. Avoid 7-9 and 4-8 headed that direction.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
While Nashville can have its share of traffic, since you stated I75, Atlanta will be the real killer for traffic!

I've been on that route so many times in the past 10 years that it feels like I LIVE on I-75.

Fate and construction not withstanding, none of the cities on the I-75/24 corridor have a permanent traffic problem......IF you use a little common sense and don't go through at rush hour on a week day.

I personally hate Chattanooga the worst because of all the sharp twists and turns. I won't go through there after dark or in really bad weather. That stretch of road can literally be a killer.

So......when the time comes, check the various states DOT web sites for known problems, avoid rush hours and then don't worry about something that you have no control of.

If you need, or think you MUST, take a detour at Nashville, Briley Parkway usually is a good alternative.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
While Nashville can have its share of traffic, since you stated I75, Atlanta will be the real killer for traffic!