cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Emergency Communications

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
What do folks who may need emergency help carry with them for non-cell coverage? Was thinking either renting a satellite phone or getting a SPOT.

Note: Yes I realize emergency help can be hours away but want to reduce the time for help to arrive.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)
14 REPLIES 14

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
To Tony's list add the Middle East. I will try southern Africa next year. I am using the Garmin Explorer, it is a great communication device, and a fair GPS mapper.

I have used the same satellite system with transmissions from lease custody units on oil and gas wells in remote areas. Even in woods and deep "hollers" you should get at least a couple of direct passes overhead each day and the message will make it.

Not perfect, but pretty good. You can also consider the various flavors of emergency beacons, but they are only for emergency.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Oh Tony try your Delorme SE at about 10 mile Haines highway where there is no gps coverage

Mine has been well tested as far south as Ushuaia and the rest of South America and up as far as Toktoyoktuk on the Arctic Ocean in Canada, over a fair bit of Alaska and south to southern Mexico, and a lot of Europe including all parts of Iceland and the Delorme always gets through. Cell phones - waaaaayyyy less coverage including no coverage over large areas of mainland USA

The Delorme isn't perfect but its tracking feature means anyone on the list gets updates on your position every 10 minutes, and two way text messaging is possible with any mobile number or email address.
Still, if you always restrict your wanderings to Main Street USA then a cell phone should be OK.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I did mean gps coverage but as far as Iridium sat phone

I think you are confusing GPS with other types of services because I've done some checking and GPS will indeed work all over Alaska. I've also used GPS before in some remote places down in the south east. However, service like on-star won't because they are cell based.

In regards to Iridium phone call, it's only about $1.50/minute so that 40 minute call would have only been about $60 which would have been well worth the price considering the option.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
inReach is not a phone. Text only. It uses the iridium network like a sat phone. Charge is per message, not per minute. You can select a plan for a certain number of messages or pay per message. You can set up 3 "preset" messages beforehand and set up contacts for them. InReach does not charge for as many preset messages as you want to send. My "I'm OK" notice is a preset one. I can also set up "call AAA and give them these coordinates" and one of my contacts will do that for me. Last time I checked, AAA would not accept texts for road service requests. Besides, when you have your RV right there you have food and water and such, so not really an emergency. Not a big deal if the tow truck doesn't come until tomorrow. Medical aid can be an emergency; InReach SOS is for life or death stuff.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

alaska_dennis
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Oh Tony try your Delorme SE at about 10 mile Haines highway where there is no gps coverage

Did you mean cell coverage? Never heard of gaps of GPS coverage in driveable Alaska. Plus the Delorme SE uses Iridium network which is suppose to have 100% Earth coverage.

Just trying to understand the limits of the units as while I'm purchasing for Canada/Alaska trip, I plan on using for several years while I travel to other remote locations in North America.

I did mean gps coverage but as far as Iridium sat phone That is the best way to emergency communicate. Then it is the cost per minute when your emergency is not life threatening. In my case I hit a Bison I spent about 40 minutes with AAA setting up a tow. Estimate a sat bill. In my accident I was 20 minutes away from a phone.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer

Did you mean cell coverage? Never heard of gaps of GPS coverage in driveable Alaska. Plus the Delorme SE uses Iridium network which is suppose to have 100% Earth coverage.

Just trying to understand the limits of the units as while I'm purchasing for Canada/Alaska trip, I plan on using for several years while I travel to other remote locations in North America.

alaska_dennis
Explorer
Explorer
So you run over the bank into the forest and are badly injured. Well Tony then you will probably die. But if you blew a tire and needed a jack then a simple help sign would get somebody to help you.
Last summer on a trip out from alaska I hit a Bison. My emergency communications were with AAA road service. I spent a week in Fort Nelson. this year I brought along a laptop for the Wifi. Now I am covered for communication with homebase (spouse)
Oh Tony try your Delorme SE at about 10 mile Haines highway where there is no gps coverage and then what would you do?

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
alaska dennis wrote:
Carry bug dope. Have a sign describing your problem and some sort of emergency light . Flag down the first vehicle. (bug dope) I don't stop for emergency flashers unless I see a person.
to many people use their flashers for picture taking--no emergency.

So you run over the bank into the forest and are badly injured. So you get out your sign writing kit, and using your powerful flashlight to see in the dark, describe your situation on the board you always carryand clamber up the cliff to sit on the side of the roadto wait for the next car to come along and read your sign.
Must get a bit heavy carrying it all when you wander off on a long hike. A Delorme SE is much better
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

alaska_dennis
Explorer
Explorer
Carry bug dope. Have a sign describing your problem and some sort of emergency light . Flag down the first vehicle. (bug dope) I don't stop for emergency flashers unless I see a person.
to many people use their flashers for picture taking--no emergency.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I have had an InReach for 5 years. Two-way texting, as someone mentioned above. I send a preset message to my family each evening when I make camp; this message says all is well and gives them the coordinates of my camp.

Other available services: emergency aid, map tracking, more frequent messages, custom weather report, etc.

The InReach is small and portable. It holds its charge very well. It can tether to my iPad or iPhone via the Earthmate app for downloading maps or for using the iPad keyboard to type messages.

InReach uses two satellite systems. It will send out a message from any place where you can see the sky. It doesn't usually work inside the RV; holding it out the window sometimes does the trick. Outside, under trees, not so good; moving out of shade to a more open area solves that.

One service offered by Spot which is not yet available for InReach is the Save Our Vehicles program. InReach brings aid for people.

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/ Owner's manuals are available on the Garmin site; read them so you know what you are getting.

Please note that you have to be conscious to push the button that sends for help. It might be a good idea to show your travel partners how to use the device.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
A two way device of some kind.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
folivier wrote:
We've carried a basic SPOT for years, never needed it except to send a check-in.

Same for me. But it could literally be a life-saver if you ever need it.
Cal

jimbob3ca
Explorer
Explorer
I have used an Inreach Explorer for about six years now.
https://www.inreachcanada.com/
This unit allows not only emergency location service, but a plan can be selected that will allow it to be used as a communication device while out of cell service. It can be set up with select email addresses or with phone numbers for texting. The message length is limited to 160 characters. The advantage of this unit is that communication is two way whereas others are one way. You can also suspend the service for a minimal charge when you don't plan to be using it for a while.
It has been fairly reliable but I have had occasional messages that failed to reach intended recipients. Haven't had to use it for emergency yet. You can also select a plan that allows someone to track your position when you are out and about if you have the unit on. We have used it to follow our son on several long distance bike race epics, including mountain bike race from Banff south to the Mexican border.
I would recommend this unit for what you seem to want.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
We've carried a basic SPOT for years, never needed it except to send a check-in. We recently got a SPOT X for our trip to Alaska. This allows us to do 2 way texting. Some people like the Garmin device.