cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fancy Gap Virginia bad road for small class c?

Grangrey4
Explorer
Explorer
Two mudslides on I-40. Heading to Apex, NC. Wondering if I-77 south past Wytheville VA is a rough route for my small 26 foot Minnie. Any information on steep climbs and descents is appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

Grangrey4
Explorer
Explorer
tHANKS FOR ALL THE HELP APPRECIATED!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I-77 has one long downhill grade going into NC. Gear down and don't ride your brakes. I-26 south out of Johnson City is quite hilly both up and down going into NC.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only problem other than grade on the trip going up the mountain at Fancy Gap is on occasion there is strong winds blowing up the mountain (is that from the east?) and get pretty gusty at times.
South lanes are not nearly as rough.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
You have two choices, I-40 to I-26, which is the recommended route or on up I-81 to I-77 south.

Either way, you have to go over a mountain to get there. On I-26, you have to climb a mountain then go down into NC.

If you take I-81 up to hit I-77, you are climbing very gradually for many miles, then go down the mountain on I-77.

I will say that I-81 has many more tractor trailers on it than I-26 does, but it is major route into the northeast.

Both are interstates, so you should be fine either way you choose to go. Both have spectacular views from the top. On I-26, there are several pull-offs with overlooks. On I-77, you just have to look while you drive. I will warn you that I-77 has many clogs due to accidents going up/down the mountain so use your GPS or google.maps or waze to check out traffic before you settle on one way rather than the other.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
Not a problem. Interstate highway with nice views.