cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fire between Grand Prairie and the Icefields Parkway

soren
Explorer
Explorer
We arrived in Grand Prairie, Alberta. This evening, after heading up the Icefields Parkway today. There is an active, and currently out of control, fire burning on HWY 40, roughly 50 kilometers(31 miles) south of town. At 7PM we were stopped by a patrol officer, who was limiting traffic to one lane, one direction at a time, to avoid head on collisions. At that time there were three tankers on it, including a large jet that came up from the states. The fire is close enough to the road that we drove through a bright red area of retardant, dropped right on the highway. For those of you heading south, and planning on taking HWY 40 from Grand Prairie to Hinton, to visit the parkway and Banff, check in town before heading down 40. Currently the winds have shifted, and the smoke is in GP, giving the sky a weird pink tone, as the sun sets. Be careful out there.
5 REPLIES 5

FishHaggis
Explorer
Explorer
Was really bad last year for fires and they say this is worse. Stay safe.
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Power Wagon, quad cab

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
The fires in Sask were so bad last week at times you couldn't see 1/4 mile, and the fires were 100 miles north of us.
Lots of evacuations, lots of fires. They are looking at bringing in extra crews from New Zealand, Aus and the US
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Man, I feel for you folks suffering through fires. We've had more than our fair share the last few years. But this year, we're getting a ton of rain. I can't recall a spring / summer this wet in Colorado.

Stay safe.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
It's a bad, bad year for fires! The smoke was so thick on the Taylor Hwy in AK yesterday that it was hard to see the road in places. Driving from Tok to Destruction Bay today I saw evidence of fires that had burned since I went through in early June. And in Willow, there are charred forests on both sides of the highway. Smoky almost everywhere, even back home in WA from several fires there. Too much lightning, too little rain.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Paoli
Explorer
Explorer
ALSO: The Big Beaver Creek fire, approximately 50 km south of Fort Nelson, grew to 8,200 hectares in size and caused a temporary closure of the Alaska Highway.